Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times

Advertisements

I agree 3 weeks is not long especially not knowing his background. The instructions from ViralMD work but you have to dedicate time to it. We all know how frustrating it can be to potty train a dog.

You should crate him when you are not with him unless you put a leash on him and keep him with you at all times while getting the training down. Remember he wants to please you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Monitor the water? Really? I'd never heard of that. It would probably cut down on some of the liquid accidents. Unfortunately, I can't pick up the water. I also have a cat who drinks from the same bowl--and he doesn't adapt well to shifting food and water bowls.

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I would never give up on Maynard. I love him and he is (almost obsessively) attached to me.

The belly band is working well on the marking behavior. It is much less than it was even a week ago. It also works if he just decides to squat and go. He really has no signals except late in the evening if we're lying on the couch together, he'll anxiously move from one end to the other when he has to go. Other than that...nothing.

I have been praising effusively every time he goes outside. I will try adding a tasty snack reserved only for potty successes. I guess I'm spoiled. I've always managed to housebreak past pets within about a week. They must have been doggie savants....

I'm not sure how to upload photos here. He is a big cutie and I'd like to share.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Monitor the water? Really? I'd never heard of that. It would probably cut down on some of the liquid accidents. Unfortunately, I can't pick up the water. I also have a cat who drinks from the same bowl--and he doesn't adapt well to shifting food and water bowls.

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I would never give up on Maynard. I love him and he is (almost obsessively) attached to me.

The belly band is working well on the marking behavior. It is much less than it was even a week ago. It also works if he just decides to squat and go. He really has no signals except late in the evening if we're lying on the couch together, he'll anxiously move from one end to the other when he has to go. Other than that...nothing.

I have been praising effusively every time he goes outside. I will try adding a tasty snack reserved only for potty successes. I guess I'm spoiled. I've always managed to housebreak past pets within about a week. They must have been doggie savants....

I'm not sure how to upload photos here. He is a big cutie and I'd like to share.
Love to see photos you will have to ask some of our more puter literate posters about uploading photos. As some of my friends here know I am a complete moran when it comes to that task.Just hang in there it will happen in time. I know you love him and I am sure he adores you and like someone just said he wants to please.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM

119 posts, read 467,779 times
I just went through this in July and August with my rescue Sheltie. She is guessed to be 4 or 5 YO and I dont think she was ever potty trained. I thought because she seemed so smart that she would catch right on but it took longer than I thought. She got the no peeing down fairly quickly but would still poo. I had to take her right out after she ate and then I got to saying time to go pee and poo and it seemed like one day the light bulb finally went off and she hasnt had an accident in months. So hang in there I think they just have so much adjustment to make that the training just takes a little while but they do finally get it. Good Luck!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Well, last night Maynard spent his first full night in the crate. I've let him sleep on the bed since I first brought him home, but Saturday night, he peed on my duvet--a sure ticket off the bed. I always walk him before bed, but in the morning when we get up, he would sometimes go in the floor before I could get him leashed and out the door. So, last night, I walked him right before bed time and put him in the crate, where he howled like his tail was on fire. He finally settled down and this morning, when I took him out he couldn't get to a potty place fast enough.

I just fed him about 20 minutes ago and he's napping next to me on the couch--we'll walk again in about a half hour. I'll be using the cheese reward trick this time. This morning, there just wasn't time to get to the fridge!

Thanks again for all of the advice folks. I'm just going to have to be patient. Not every dog can be a "schnook dog" (my Papillion who trained in 3 days).

Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Well, last night Maynard spent his first full night in the crate. I've let him sleep on the bed since I first brought him home, but Saturday night, he peed on my duvet--a sure ticket off the bed. I always walk him before bed, but in the morning when we get up, he would sometimes go in the floor before I could get him leashed and out the door. So, last night, I walked him right before bed time and put him in the crate, where he howled like his tail was on fire. He finally settled down and this morning, when I took him out he couldn't get to a potty place fast enough.

I just fed him about 20 minutes ago and he's napping next to me on the couch--we'll walk again in about a half hour. I'll be using the cheese reward trick this time. This morning, there just wasn't time to get to the fridge!

Thanks again for all of the advice folks. I'm just going to have to be patient. Not every dog can be a "schnook dog" (my Papillion who trained in 3 days).
YAY!!! (well, not about the duvet but this morning!)

Just remember to only give Maynard those high-value treats (like the cheese) for potty training. If you start giving them to him for little things (like for just being cute! ), he'll just get used to them and expect them all the time (because he's cute all the time!).

Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
YAY!!! (well, not about the duvet but this morning!)

Just remember to only give Maynard those high-value treats (like the cheese) for potty training. If you start giving them to him for little things (like for just being cute! ), he'll just get used to them and expect them all the time (because he's cute all the time!).
Maynard is a funny dog. He doesn't care for any of the dog treats that other dogs go nuts for. Consequently, he doesn't get many treats at all because I don't believe in just giving random human food to dogs. So, I think your cheese idea will work very well.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Maynard is a funny dog. He doesn't care for any of the dog treats that other dogs go nuts for. Consequently, he doesn't get many treats at all because I don't believe in just giving random human food to dogs. So, I think your cheese idea will work very well.
Artie's like that too -- be it with food, treats, toys, whatever. He's VERY finicky. About EVERYTHING. There are two treats that he loves (chicken jerky and liver treats). Anything else? Not interested in the least.

Welllll, he would LOVE cheese, but cheese doesn't love him, so...

Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
I wouldn't restrict his water. Just MHO on that..........

As for marking, a dog that's been neutered recently and is an adult can also be marking as a behavioral issue, or out of habit, not just hormones. I've got 3 male dogs (fosters) in the house right now. All came from outdoor homes / shelters and were neutered as adults. I've had them since May and I still battle occasional marking. With them, it's a learned behavior. Something that with a single dog in the house will be easier to correct than with multiple dogs, but it will take some time.

I feel for you. I feel like the evil step mom half the time. I know where in the house they like to mark so those dogs I'm constantly watching and yelling at them to get out of my living room. Even keeping a close eye on them, there are times I can't watch and I have to clean up messes. A couple nights ago was the worse they've ever been............ by far! But it will get better, I promise!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:

dave doesn't either... he gets diced chicken gizzards for training rewards or good-behaviour-when-out-for-a-walk rewards .... we are working on his offleash recall and i must say, he has been doing VERY well these past few weeks.....

NOW, if i offer a treat (regular dog treat) when we are around home, he refuses it more times than not because its NOT CHICKEN.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs