U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,791,285 times

Advertisements

I heard that some Purina dog food is now made in China. Does anyone know if this is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,794,530 times
I know that they get their fillers (glutens) from China.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,169,496 times
Dang & I use to recomed Purinia ALL the time!! Wont no more!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 PM

5,418 posts, read 11,983,393 times
You don't know where the raw materials came from, even if it was manufactured here. I had a previous dog get very sick and almost die from eating that bad alpo years ago. Hopefully the premium brand I feed my dogs now is good?!
You have to keep an eye on where those rawhides are from too. The big chain stores are the main offenders.
No way I will feed that to an animal now after seeing what that bad food did to my pet!!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,791,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
You don't know where the raw materials came from, even if it was manufactured here. I had a previous dog get very sick and almost die from eating that bad alpo years ago. Hopefully the premium brand I feed my dogs now is good?!
You have to keep an eye on where those rawhides are from too. The big chain stores are the main offenders.
No way I will feed that to an animal now after seeing what that bad food did to my pet!!
Agreed. And that's an especially good point about the rawhides. I've stopped buying them because the source and the way they are processed are all suspect.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 PM

The tannery in Williamsport MD Tans cow hides [and others I am sure] They make Hides into Leather. What they cant use like the Hooves & Smaller pieces they send somewhere out west where that Co makes them into Doggie Treats. So I know Most are made in the USA. Letting your dog chew on raw hides will keep his teeth clean & Healthy!
http://www.dogchewsrawhide.com/rawhide-chews-made.htm

Old 11-26-2010, 12:39 AM

947 posts, read 2,002,069 times
if you Really care about the health and life of your pets, you just must research each and every food brand that you are interested in feeding them.
we cannot even trust our own foods most of the time, let alone food that it processed for pets that they call pet food and not fit for humans to eat which does not make sense to me... but hey, thats me... i see it as, if it is not fit for me to me, then i would never give to my animals.

plus some companies, pretty sure purina is included in this, have animals, which are like the ones we have in our homes- called pets... cats and dogs... they "have" them... "research" on them, and while they are in cages their whole time there, usually from birth to their death, given "foods" that are processed... ? not sure what ... can you call it real food?... anyway, give them food stuff, .. record what happens to them...
diseases... blindness... death...
from lack of nutrients and/or chemicals...

should our pets... and the ones in labs dying for our pets... really be eating this gluten ... from china... which may very well be chemical layden...?
we just must do Research!
everything has potential to be misleading!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Raw bones are great for the teeth...
and most doggies will prefer that over rawhide's any day...

Old 11-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
if you Really care about the health and life of your pets, you just must research each and every food brand that you are interested in feeding them.
we cannot even trust our own foods most of the time, let alone food that it processed for pets that they call pet food and not fit for humans to eat which does not make sense to me... but hey, thats me... i see it as, if it is not fit for me to me, then i would never give to my animals.

plus some companies, pretty sure purina is included in this, have animals, which are like the ones we have in our homes- called pets... cats and dogs... they "have" them... "research" on them, and while they are in cages their whole time there, usually from birth to their death, given "foods" that are processed... ? not sure what ... can you call it real food?... anyway, give them food stuff, .. record what happens to them...
diseases... blindness... death...
from lack of nutrients and/or chemicals...

should our pets... and the ones in labs dying for our pets... really be eating this gluten ... from china... which may very well be chemical layden...?
we just must do Research!
everything has potential to be misleading!
Sorry to burst your Bubble BUT I Know several people that were Given dogs to raise for Purinia! These dogs went to Excellent homes with the ONLY stipulation was to feed Purinia & send in monthly health & growth reports 2 times a yr to take the dogs Back to Purnia to be checked by their vets. Worse that the dogs endured was having blood drawn! When they were trying to figure out IF S/N was ok at 7 weeks.... They spayed 1,000s of puppies Before they were placed in homes & again growth & health were monitored. Purnia holds AKC/UKC and numerous Other club Shows on their Grounds Year Round & give Tours of their kennels! My dogs since 1982 were Raised on Purinia & the co sent me & tons of coupons! And when my boss died & I became unemployed [1997] they Sent me coupons for FREE Bags of food for my dogs, cats & horses!!!!
I was very distressed when the recall included their products....but other than them dealing with China! Katie would still be eating Purnia but I ended up spoiling her for people food!!

Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 AM

Oh, ... there is so no need 2 be sorry about... "brusting my ...Bubble" ... haha ... cuz ya didn't!
That is So great that you feed katie "people" food... some of our foods are much better than any foods they would and could get out of commersially prepared pet foods by the un regulated pet food industry.
Years ago, before the pet food industry became a big industry, pets ate what we ate!!!
I do not trust just going "with the flow" of what they, the company who wants to profit for my business, says...
Purnia has tested on cats and dogs, in their facility, as procter and gamble does too, they make iams, eukeneba (sp) ...
I will not have this, will not support this, dogs and cats suffer somewhere while I have mine at home...
Again not fit for me, not going into my pets' body either... no matter how much free food, discounted food or coupons I may get from pet food companies ...
Even vets, breeders and akc organizations may suggest certain pet food companies that I have researched... and a no go because of what is in food, where it's from... etc...

Cooking for your pets is great, do the research tho on recipes... there is lots of books and info to be found and read!

Honestly, from human food to pet food... things can be misleading...
I want my pets to be as happy and as healthy as possible! I am so glad I started researching pet food a few years back...
Happy doggies, waggin tails, loving pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs