U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 PM

389 posts, read 3,150,592 times

Advertisements

Oooop...one more quick update friend of person who adopted puppy no. 1 is interested in one of the others Told her to call animal control and let them know. I assume they will do vaccines and deworm and keep them for the 2 weeks or so, but it would be great to know they have homes waiting! I still really want them, soo sweet and cute, but my older guy isn't too keen on having puppies use his tail as a tug toy and I don't want him to feel tortured in his own home and I know they will get adopted fast, but I will always have a little spot in my heart form them

Also, new owner of puppy number 1 took him to vet in pet smart today and was offered $150 for him by someone....they are just that cute
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM

17,613 posts, read 18,701,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

This state sucks on a grand scale when it comes to pet care. I've been doing rescue here for five years now. It's heart breaking.

So, the local shelters are sooooo over run with animals. The funding is very small because so many people don't understand why it's an issue. My county doesn't have a shelter at all. They old sheriff - who thankfully was voted out this year - told me a bullet is cheaper than a shelter. If we have strays in this area you can call the sheriff's office out to shoot them for you. Illegal? Probably. But welcome to BFE.
Frustrating isnt it. I've lived here over 30 yrs. and the situation has gotten better, believe it or not.

Turtle,
Glad you were able to help those puppies. I acquired dog #5 a few weeks ago because I just couldn’t let this guy take her to the pound. She showed up in his yard and it was killing him to have to take her knowing she would be put down (hounds and certain breeds are automatically euthanized) so stupid me took her hoping to find her owner or a good home. As aggravating as it is having a coon hound pup she is part of the pack now.
Im going to have to do like 20yr. and start looking the other way.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:51 PM

389 posts, read 3,150,592 times
We got a call from animal control this week that both of the puppies were adopted I thought it was really nice of them to call and let us know and am glad that they have turned animal control around and work their butts off to find homes for the animals they take in. They have a dog that has been there for like 7 months and they kind of treat her like a pet and she gets to hang out at the front desk and gets lots of love from the people that work there while waiting for her forever home!

I am really thinking that when I don't have to work full time any more I want to get involved and maybe be a foster and volunteer any way i can. I am really happy that this all ended up being such a positive experience...it sure didn't look that way for a minute there!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM

8,999 posts, read 15,025,400 times
now THERE is some HAPPY news!!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM

7,352 posts, read 5,833,051 times
It's not the agencies fault, but the fault of all the ignorant people in the world that refuse to alter their pets, and then don't take responsibility for the offspring.

Rest in contentment that you've done a good thing, and when you can find homes or a place to take them, remember the situation when you have a surplus. If there was more support of shelters, they would be able to take more unwanted pets -- and educate those that have yet to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs