U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM

389 posts, read 2,439,662 times
Default Trying to do the right thing for abandoned dogs

OK...so I just have to vent about the broken system that is in place. Tuesday afternoon my dad discovered 3 puppies that had been abandoned on our property. They were left in a gazebo that is on an island in the middle of a pond that has a bridge to get to. I know the local animal control/humane society euthanizes after only 3 days and I didn't want to take these little guys there so I looked around and found the Nashville Humane Society which is a low kill facility that only euthanizes sick or dangerous animals...perfect right? So they are closed on Wednesday and Thursday is Thanksgiving, so we keep them thinking that today we will take them in.

Come to find out that the NHS will only take them if we vaccinate them and keep them for 2 weeks! I get the reasoning, but it seems to me that a huge facility like this and others like it should have some sort of quarantine area for incomers that they don't know a health history on. I used to work at the Wisconsin Humane Society and we had an entire area to keep dogs seperate while they were evaluated or treated for illness. So they tell me if I can't do this and keep them for the 2 weeks, I can take them to Nashville animal control but p.s. they are closed today!!!! We did find out that they will euthanize, but it seemed like they had a longer time span and they also have an extensive adoption program, so it's an option, but not one I felt great about.

After 3 hours of driving around looking for somewhere to go with these adorably sweet (and now tired and carsick) puppies we return home with them still in tow and hit the phones again. I did find a rescue that will take them but again after vaccinating and waiting 2 weeks, but they will vaccinate for free. So thanks to my amazing mom being able to help me and my husband we have decided that this is what we are going to do to ensure that these kids get a long life in good homes.

I just don't understand why it has to be so difficult, this is probably why they were dumped here in the first place! They are in fantastic shape and partially housebroken, clearly someone cared for them and was working with them, I just don't understand how they could just dump them!

Well, thank you for letting me rant, it's just been one of those days
Maybe I will post some pics of them here and if anyone in the area is looking for a puppy or knows someone who is we may actually be able to find them homes ourselves...that would be nice. Who knows, after 2 weeks, we may even want to keep one
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 07:07 PM

15,943 posts, read 27,848,043 times
Thank you for saving their lives! Poor little babies.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,036,223 times
Once I had several pups I rescued and found a home for them by placing a sign in my yard. It only took several days. I also made a temporary pin and had them in the front where people could see the poor little things as they drove by. It didnt take long..good luck and bless you my friend.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM

Here's some great news to end the day with....sounds like one of the puppies may have a home!!!!!! So happy!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,340,291 times
Awesome that you've *maybe* found a home for one of them.

It's amazing to me the hoops you have to go through when you've saved an animal. Which is why I have my now-8month-old puppy.

Keep up the faith, and thanks for opening up your heart and home to these pups, for at least the time being.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM

9,808 posts, read 12,933,485 times
Thank you so much for your compassion.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 PM

14,650 posts, read 16,133,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Well, thank you for letting me rant, it's just been one of those days
Maybe I will post some pics of them here and if anyone in the area is looking for a puppy or knows someone who is we may actually be able to find them homes ourselves...that would be nice. Who knows, after 2 weeks, we may even want to keep one
Turtle there is a special place in heaven for people like you. From time to time I see full grown dogs wandering around and I am pretty sure they have been dumped by their owners. I want to stop and help them but I know that I really cannot. First of all, I have no place for them and second of all, there are so many that it would be a full time job, and break me financially. So I look the other way and hope they find a kind person like you to rescue them. I have such sadness and guilt doing that. Sometimes I will drive 20 miles out of my way so that I don't have to face the same dog two days in a row.

Anyway. I give donations to my local animal shelter (which is a no-kill by the way), and I try to help in other ways. But I so totally RESPECT you and the other people like you who have the courage to really help.

Thank you so much for caring and showing it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM

5,101 posts, read 7,927,826 times
First of all, this isn't Wisconsin. Not even close. You guys up there have it together. You have a lot of responsible pet owners up there that spay and neuter their pets and keep them confined or on leashes.

Welcome to TN. We don't do things that way here. People allowed their unaltered pets to roam free. They let them have litter after litter of puppies not caring what happens to them. People here breed dogs like crazy. They don't need to be registered, let alone seen by a vet to make sure they're not going to pass along any genetic problems to their offspring. The first person to come along with $50 gets the puppy and they could care less what the puppys life will be like. Those people usually buy them because they're little and cute and they can impress their friends. As soon as the friends stop being impressed the puppy is out of there. Either thrown out the door to fend for itself or given away for free to the first person willing to take it off their hands, with no concern of how that person will care for it.

This state sucks on a grand scale when it comes to pet care. I've been doing rescue here for five years now. It's heart breaking.

So, the local shelters are sooooo over run with animals. The funding is very small because so many people don't understand why it's an issue. My county doesn't have a shelter at all. They old sheriff - who thankfully was voted out this year - told me a bullet is cheaper than a shelter. If we have strays in this area you can call the sheriff's office out to shoot them for you. Illegal? Probably. But welcome to BFE.

Anyway, if you'd like some help placing them send me a message. I can't take them for you, but I can get them vaccinated for $8 each. If they're under 6 months they'll need at least 2 sets. If they're under 4 months I'd do a full 3 set series. I can get them on our website and once they've had their shots for 10 days you're welcome to bring them to the adoption events we have in Murfreesboro every Saturday to see if we can help find them a home. Just let me know if that helps. Sorry you got here and learned our dark little secret. I know what a shocker it was to me.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,220,002 times
God bless you for taking so much care of the puppies.

If every person who rants would care that much about puppies this world would certainly be a better place.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:00 PM

Here's the final update....one puppy we found a home, the other 2 went to animal control BUT only after we found out that the new mayor is cracking down on how it is run and now they NO LONGER euthanize like they used to, they rely on fosters and do adoptions EVERY saturday in 2 locations!!! So after we were very sure and asked all of our questions and made it very clear that if they couldn't keep them to please call us and we would take them back and keep trying to find them homes (or in all likelihood, keep them ourselves) my parents dropped them off today and foster mom was coming to pick them up before my mom even left the building! This was so great to know because around here, as we all know, when it comes to pet care and handling of homeless pets, it seems this whole state is really lacking.

Mrs. 1885, thank you so much for the offer/info. I will definitely keep that in mind if we ever find ourselves in a situation like this again, that would definitely be my preference to keep them myself while looking for a home for them if I have an idea of how to go about it...this is the first time this has happened and I didn't know where to start other than I wanted to make sure they weren't going to be euthanized in a matter of days. I think down the line when I don't have to work full time any more this is definitely something I would love to get more involved in. We have a good amount of land here and the ability to really make a difference. I have worked for both a large no kill humane society as well as for an upscale vets office and it kills me to see animals so unloved, when they are so ready and willing to give all the love they have to anyone who comes along!

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice and I will keep you posted on any future situations like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs