Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times

Advertisements

My vet recommended equal parts whilte vinegar and rubbing alcochol mixed. This is what I use on myself to dry water in my ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 05:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Thanks everyone. It's a little smelly but no redness or inflamation. It's just goopy. I've used the ear cleanser but it doesn't solve the problem- just cleans the ear out.

I'll try the treatment with vinegar and will also get the product keeper recommended.
I think you have a shar-pei also? Yes they get that brown wax build-up, the vet can test for mites- but if its just wax you may use Oti-Calm or the vinegar and water.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I went through that tar gooky stuff in my Maltipoo's ear for a year. Tried everything. A vet,bless his heart, just diagnosed her with allergies. She's now taking a pill for that and within 3 days her ears are all pink and clear-finallllly!!!I would check with a vet about possible allergies.
Do you know what allergy medication your vet recommended? I'm taking my lab to the vet today for an ear infection. I've always know he has allergies because he's a paw licker, but the vet never told us there was medication available for it.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
Yep, alot of times food allergies show up as ear problems and chewing the feet. Make sure you are feeding a good food and no treats with dyes, etc. in them.

Listerine (The gold kind) can also be used as an ear wash with the added advatage of having alcohol, so it dries the ear. Another recipe is

16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. Shake when before use. You can substitute Listerine for the alcohol if the ears are sensitive.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 PM

I just came back from the vets. We're treating his ear infection (and his paws).

She prescribed an antihistamine for some temporary relief until we get to the bottom of his allergies.

We're first going to rule out food allergies. Since he has always eaten lamb and rice, I'm going to cook him venison, potatoes & green beans for the next 8 weeks.

If it turns out to not be a food allergy, we'll take it from there.

She said the recipe for the ear cleaning solution is 50%/50% vinegar and water.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-21-2007 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
You don't want to mess around too much with ears like turtle says, once they go to shaking that head hard the blood vessels break in the ears and lead to a hematoma & hematoma surgery doesn't come cheap, or if you let it go then the ear becomes califlower leading to even more infections down the road.

The home remedy deals don't do much plus with digging into there with nails it just keeps getting more & more irritated then adding to it with vinegar or alcohol say ouch big time, using a q tip on bigger dogs usually you can go 1/4 of a swap deep into the canal but even doing so all it really does is just push the gunk further into the ear canal, so you need the heavy duty rx stuff to kill all the nastys in there.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 PM

It's super important to take them to the vets.

My dog's ear infection turned out to be both yeast and bacteria.

He wouldn't have gotten better with out medication.

The vinegar and water solution is for cleaning the ears once they are better.

I agree that alcohol would hurt! Plus it would probably cause an imbalance of yeast because the alcohol will kill off the good bacteria.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
The smell indicates it's a yeast infection. Vinegar and water does get rid of yeast, but in a bad infection, you may have to take her to the vet to get the ears properly cleaned out. You'll have a tough time getting the solution deep down into the ear canals all on your own. If it's bad, I think you may want to take her to the vet to have it properly cared for. Yeast can be painful and uncomfortable for the dog and a bad ear infection is hard to treat. You have to stay with it for several weeks.

Please don't use alcohol -- the ear is too sensitive.

greenie

Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just came back from the vets. We're treating his ear infection (and his paws).

She prescribed an antihistamine for some temporary relief until we get to the bottom of his allergies.

We're first going to rule out food allergies. Since he has always eaten lamb and rice, I'm going to cook him venison, potatoes & green beans for the next 8 weeks.

If it turns out to not be a food allergy, we'll take it from there.

She said the recipe for the ear cleaning solution is 50%/50% vinegar and water.
I never understand why vets suggest food alergies as the cause to these yeast infections. Most of these dogs are eating a diet of dry kibble which is crap (excuse my french) to begin with. Just feed the dog healthy food. And make sure he gets plenty of oils. They need oils for their coat and skin, even more so than we do. Add a few teaspoons of saflower to his diet and mix in a bit of ground flax seed. Primrose oil and the occasional salmon oil is good too. in fact, I take oils every day and it's done wonders for my skin as well.

greenie

Old 08-21-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I never understand why vets suggest food alergies as the cause to these yeast infections.
Another member posted in this thread that their dog hasn't had an ear infection ever since it started taking allergy medication.

We're ruling out a food allergy before we move forward with airborne allergy treatment. My Lab has had year round allergies his entire life. Since his allergies are year round, we have to rule out food allergies first. (My beagle/basset we know has only airborne allergies because his symtpoms are only during ragweed season. )

Furthermore, my dog's ear infection isn't just a yeast infection. It's a bacteria and yeast infection. You must have missed my post where I explain that my dog is being treated for his infection. The vinegar/water solution is for cleaning his ears---not treating the infection.

Quote:
Most of these dogs are eating a diet of dry kibble which is crap (excuse my french) to begin with.
Lots of dogs are allergic to commercial dog food.

Quote:
Just feed the dog healthy food. And make sure he gets plenty of oils. They need oils for their coat and skin, even more so than we do. Add a few teaspoons of saflower to his diet and mix in a bit of ground flax seed. Primrose oil and the occasional salmon oil is good too. in fact, I take oils every day and it's done wonders for my skin as well.
I'm seriously considering switching my dogs over to homemade dog food. I'm a little perplexed about what the serving size should be though. My Lab is 92lbs (not overweight, just a tall lab) and my beagle/basset is 56bls (overweight). The Lab currently eats 2 cups of dry dog food per day. The beagle/basset eats 1-1/3 cups of the same each day.

Any tips on figuring out portion sizes when I switch them to real food?

They eat twice a day---once in the morning and once a dinner time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs