U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:06 AM

13,473 posts, read 21,463,946 times
Default What type crate is best?

I need to buy another crate for my wiem puppy. Presently I have a plastic crate but wondered if maybe a wire crate would be better since she tries to eat the plastic. Since I have always had the plastic I am wondering if there are any benefits to using a wire crate other than they fold up and take up less space.

Gabby is now a real weim full of energy and into everything. She is not too happy when I put her in the crate but I came home yesterday from the store to half eaten cookbooks. No she wasn't hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 AM

2,640 posts, read 20,952 times
I used a wire crate when I brought Katy home when she was a puppy. It worked very well for potty-training as well. It took some time and I thought I was going to lose my mind but then one day, she was trained. She is four years now and has NEVER had an accident in the house even when I've left her for 10 hours.

She was very active as well. When I was gone all day at work, I used the crate for her or my whole house would have been chewed. It didn't have to be that way for too terribly long as eventually, she got better with her chewing and I was able to leave her out of the cage.

I still use the cage when I transport her to the vet or wherever. It was a great investment for me. I bought it on eBay at a lesser price than any place else I checked.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 AM

8,192 posts, read 18,538,736 times
I use a coated wire crate. I like this type because the animal gets maximum ventilation as well as visibility.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM

3,624 posts, read 10,099,821 times
i have used both. I like the vari kennel better only because if you need to travel with the dog in the car it is way eaiser to transport. Then when the dog is older they used it as there bed, they just go there on there own.

It you get a wire one be sure that the tray is not plastic, since I had a puppy who would decide to eat that, the metal tray is way better. either one is a good choice. the wire is good since the puppy can see all that is going on also. and for an accident it is easy to clean.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM

2,640 posts, read 20,952 times
Actually my crate is coated wire and I do like the air and visibility aspect as well. It does, however, have a plastic tray but she never chewed on that. Amazing!! It's still in great condition.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 25,312 times
The wire crates seem to be better than the plastic ones. We use them alot for our show dogs and then seem to like them better...
We use the Life Stages ones because they fold up & down quickly, easy to move...They can be spendy if you buy them at a pet store but we have found them @ a local pet manufactuer for MUCH cheaper. Here is there webiste Ryan's Pet Supplies Our warehouse online wholesale prices professional products shop or request a catalog they do ship...

Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 AM

7,373 posts, read 12,991,173 times
I like the wire crates too. They are pretty indestructible. I like the ones with removable metal bottoms. In the winter when it's cold, I cover the crate with a blanket to keep it warmer inside. My dog doesn't have much hair! The cover also makes it den like and keeps the dog calmer.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:54 PM

8,204 posts, read 22,764,557 times
I've never crated, but I've used baby gates with great success, maybe it would work for you too? You can adjust the amount of space based on the activity and size of the dog.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:57 PM

1,932 posts, read 7,151,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I need to buy another crate for my wiem puppy. Presently I have a plastic crate but wondered if maybe a wire crate would be better since she tries to eat the plastic. Since I have always had the plastic I am wondering if there are any benefits to using a wire crate other than they fold up and take up less space.

Gabby is now a real weim full of energy and into everything. She is not too happy when I put her in the crate but I came home yesterday from the store to half eaten cookbooks. No she wasn't hungry.
Haha.. we know how that is! My husband and I own two American Pit Bull Terriers. Brooklyn, our 1 year 2 month old male and Destiny, our 6 month old female. They are wonderful dogs, but they hate to be home alone! We have a crate for each of them and they have always slept in their crates at night.. when ever we would go some where we would just doggy proof the house, close all of the bedroom and bathroom doors and leave them in the main part of the house with the TV on, some toys and some water. Until they started chewing things up! Like I said, we doggy proofed the house so it's not like there was anything for them to get into, but they always found something to destroy! They chewed up rugs and the sofas, they would get up on the table and knock it over, they would even try to dig through the front door! Needless to say, now if we go some where we put them in their crates! They also like to try to chew through the crate so the plastic crates don't work very well. They each have a large (36" x 24" x 37") Petmate pet home training kennel. They each came with a divider so the crates grow with the dogs. They tried a few times to chew through it, but it didn't take them long to see that was pointless! lol! I would definitely suggest a wire crate/ kennel over a plastic one any day!

As KewGee said, our dogs crates are coated wire and they also have the plastic tray in the bottom, but our dogs have never messed with that. We have doggy beds in their crates for them so they never pay any attention to the plastic tray.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:11 PM

13,473 posts, read 21,463,946 times
Thanks to everyone's advice I bought a wire kennel and she already likes to just go into it and lay down. I figure that may have to do with her being a puppy mill puppy. Of course, she is not nearly as happy when I put her in it when I leave the house. It also gives her more room than the plastic crates to lay down at least it appears that way to me. She is so tall but she can stand up with her head just barely touching the top and it is an extra large crate.
I just wish I had someplace to put it so it wasn't taking up so much space.. but I can live with that for a while, it is better than her chewing up things that I can't afford to replace. She chewed up the cable remote but I was lucky enough to have an extra one.
Again, thanks for all your help and advice

Last edited by Keeper; 07-14-2007 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs