U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,028 posts, read 28,362,155 times
Reputation: 8530

Advertisements

My Sheltie will eat anything!

However, as she is getting older, she has had some health problems. I wanted to give her better food in hopes that it will help.

I started feeding her HALO wet dog food. She seemed to like it ok...not thrilled about it. It is expensive. It is inconvenient to have to go to the petstore to get it.

I gave her BENEFUL wet food and she really likes it. It is about $1.62 per container and she gets l/2 container per day. It looks good and smells good.

Does anyone have any opinions on the wet Beneful?

Any other suggestions for wet food that I can buy at the grocery store?

I'm not interested in cooking her food, although we do give her some vegetables every day...usually what we have leftover from dinner.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,852,541 times
Reputation: 9586
look at the ingredients.

same rules aplay as they do for dry food.
first ingredient should be MEAT (not byproduct) salt and other chemicals should be limited (preferably none existant) vegies arnt realy nessicary in a dogs food but not going to do any damage, any grains are prety much filer, avoid gorn, barley or rice are better (brewers rice however is rice husks and not the actal seed and just yickynes)

so lets take one of benefuls flavors
Water sufficient for processing, chicken, wheat gluten (common allergen), liver, meat by-products (beaks feet and feathers YICK), corn starch-modified, pasta (wheat flour, egg whites), carrots, spinach, artificial (why? shouldnt the real food be enough?) and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, salt (depends how much is in it), soy flour (another very common allergen), potassium chloride, added color (why?), tricalcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, potassium iodide, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin.


general rule of thumb, if they sell it at the grocery store, its NOT a good quality food.
the best "grocery store" brand is kirkland from costco.

stick to a pet store, read the lables...and think of it this way when you read those lables...would YOU eat it? you wouldnt want to be fed byproducts would you?

if your going through the trouble of feeding her wet food, why not make your own you can control the chemicals and salt level and know exactly whats going in it. make it in bulk and freze in batches. and you can get all your ingredients at the grocery store.

lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey, more expensive meats would be steak, chuck, rabbit duck, and fish.
rice, preferably whole grain or wild. fresh organic veggies (veggies should be steamed or ground/juiced, dogs stomachs cant break down celulose in raw veggies) chicken, fish, vegatable or beef stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,355 posts, read 16,868,377 times
Reputation: 11463
if she was not crazy about the halo food, there are several other quality foods available..... maybe try small cans of several brands / flavors until you hit upon one or more that she DOES like.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,708 posts, read 26,810,452 times
Reputation: 26701
Wellness makes canned food. I would try that and see if your girl likes it.

Wellness® Dog Canned Recipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,028 posts, read 28,362,155 times
Reputation: 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
if she was not crazy about the halo food, there are several other quality foods available..... maybe try small cans of several brands / flavors until you hit upon one or more that she DOES like.....
She is fine with the Halo brand. I thought it was too expensive.

I want a canned brand that is good for her but not too expensive. Got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,028 posts, read 28,362,155 times
Reputation: 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
look at the ingredients.

same rules aplay as they do for dry food.
first ingredient should be MEAT (not byproduct) salt and other chemicals should be limited (preferably none existant) vegies arnt realy nessicary in a dogs food but not going to do any damage, any grains are prety much filer, avoid gorn, barley or rice are better (brewers rice however is rice husks and not the actal seed and just yickynes)

so lets take one of benefuls flavors
Water sufficient for processing, chicken, wheat gluten (common allergen), liver, meat by-products (beaks feet and feathers YICK), corn starch-modified, pasta (wheat flour, egg whites), carrots, spinach, artificial (why? shouldnt the real food be enough?) and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, salt (depends how much is in it), soy flour (another very common allergen), potassium chloride, added color (why?), tricalcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, potassium iodide, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin.


general rule of thumb, if they sell it at the grocery store, its NOT a good quality food.
the best "grocery store" brand is kirkland from costco.

stick to a pet store, read the lables...and think of it this way when you read those lables...would YOU eat it? you wouldnt want to be fed byproducts would you?

if your going through the trouble of feeding her wet food, why not make your own you can control the chemicals and salt level and know exactly whats going in it. make it in bulk and freze in batches. and you can get all your ingredients at the grocery store.

lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey, more expensive meats would be steak, chuck, rabbit duck, and fish.
rice, preferably whole grain or wild. fresh organic veggies (veggies should be steamed or ground/juiced, dogs stomachs cant break down celulose in raw veggies) chicken, fish, vegatable or beef stock.
But it does say CHICKEN is the ingredient after "water for processing".

I don't have the time to make her food and I'm not sure there is enough of what a dog really needs in table food. I have 4 kids, 1 husband, 1 dog, 2 cats and a job! I really just want to use a canned food that is good for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,355 posts, read 16,868,377 times
Reputation: 11463
what it boils down to is this... you can go the grocery store food route with lots of filler and crappy ingredients.... or you can take 15-20 minutes a week and stop at petco or petsmart for a quality food that is NOT filled with indigestible grains and filler and heaven only knows what else......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,028 posts, read 28,362,155 times
Reputation: 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
what it boils down to is this... you can go the grocery store food route with lots of filler and crappy ingredients.... or you can take 15-20 minutes a week and stop at petco or petsmart for a quality food that is NOT filled with indigestible grains and filler and heaven only knows what else......
So...if I got to Petco or Petsmart...what brand should I buy if I want something healthy and less expensive???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,852,541 times
Reputation: 9586
i have a solution for you
Pet Food Online | Dog & Cat Supplies & Products | PetFoodDirect.com

they ship direct to your door.
some good canned brands
merrick (grammis pot pie is a favorite in our house)
Evo (GREAT food)
Natural Balance
Wellness
Innova
canidea
Red Barn
Halo
Blue Buffalo
Whole Earth Farms
Evangers (ive had frineds eat this and it realy is just meat stewed in its own gravy lol)
Mewmans own
natures organics
Merric before grain (BG)
Chicken soup for dog loves soul
Natures veriety - instinct
(the list goes on, check the website they all have an ingredients tab. always avoid corn and byproducts ANYWHERE in the ingredient list.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 PM
 
553 posts, read 1,374,909 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
My Sheltie will eat anything!

However, as she is getting older, she has had some health problems. I wanted to give her better food in hopes that it will help.

I started feeding her HALO wet dog food. She seemed to like it ok...not thrilled about it. It is expensive. It is inconvenient to have to go to the petstore to get it.

I gave her BENEFUL wet food and she really likes it. It is about $1.62 per container and she gets l/2 container per day. It looks good and smells good.

Does anyone have any opinions on the wet Beneful?

Any other suggestions for wet food that I can buy at the grocery store?

I'm not interested in cooking her food, although we do give her some vegetables every day...usually what we have leftover from dinner.

Vicki
I don't feed wet food, but I do wet the dry food for one of my dogs.
Are her teeth an issue and that's why you want her to have canned food?
If it is because she can't chew hard food you could buy a bag of quality dry food, add water to dry food and put it in a food processor. It would certainly be cheaper than cans of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top