U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,042 posts, read 7,930,283 times

Advertisements

What can cause clear gelatinous type stools? It looks like my dog pooped out clear gel.

A bit of history....
2 week-ends ago, he started having diarrhea, then throwing up. I thought he might be obstructed. I took him to AVet because my vet's office was closed. They did some blood work, which showed dehydration--gave him subcutaneous fluids, X-ray--no obstruction seen, fecal smear--showed clostridium. I have no idea how he got that. They put him on a boiled chicken/rice diet until diarrhea resolved, also a 7 day course of flagyl. He finished up his flagyl 2 days ago and bowel movements had returned to normal. He was eating and drinking. Tonight he had a clear gelatinous bowel movement --it was clear--no color at all. It was a small amount.

He has an appointment on Thursday with his regular vet as follow up but now wondering if I should try to get him in sooner. For now, I placed him back on a rice/boiled chicken diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
Sounds like intestinal mucus, and that can mean a number of things. If Nanners was delivering that stuff, I'd be on the horn to the vet.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
agree with mucus, id give your vet a call just to let them know whats going on but as a ONE OFF i wouldnt worry too much, flagyl tends (like antibiotics) to upset the intestinal flora and fauna and can cause an excess production in mucus to try and "clear" everything out.

id try doing a couple more days on a bland diet and add some probiotics (plain unsweetend organic yoghurt, greek yoghurt is even better) a couple tablespoons a day. like in humans the live bacteria will help settle things, the bland diet will give everythign a chance to catch up and he should be fine...

BUT if it becomes a regular/frequent thing or in larger amounts its definatly time to check with your vet.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 PM

He has a vet appt on Thursday. Today he had a normal bowel movement. He doesn't like Greek yogurt. I tried to give him some before and he won't eat it, but if I'm eating it, then he is in my face begging for it!!! Once I give it to him, he will sniff it and then walk away!!

The clear intestinal mucus wasn't any bigger than a quarter sized amount. I still will feel better after his vet appt. His vet is going to do a complete lab panel.

He is back on a bland diet. As soon as I saw the intestinal mucus, I started him back on boiled chicken and rice.

Thanks for the responses from both of you. I appreciate it.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,661,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
--showed clostridium. I have no idea how he got that.
Its a broad bacteria and could have been picked up from bad food, sniffing anoter dogs poop that was infected, even being treated with certain antibiotics could trigger growth of dormant spores. Way to common a ways to be infected. there are two main groups so before seeing your regular vet, you may want to find out which of the two your dog has. One can be treated fairly easy, the other could flare up again.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Its a broad bacteria and could have been picked up from bad food, sniffing anoter dogs poop that was infected, even being treated with certain antibiotics could trigger growth of dormant spores. Way to common a ways to be infected. there are two main groups so before seeing your regular vet, you may want to find out which of the two your dog has. One can be treated fairly easy, the other could flare up again.
I'm an ICU nurse. We had an outbreak of C-diff in the unit. Is there any way I could have brought it home on my shoes? I was told by AVets that it is indigenous to our area--found in the ground and soil. The ground is frozen so I doubt that he got it that way.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,661,719 times
Could it be from your shoes? Possible, but it could be from the mail truck passing by, or the bag from the grocery store, the toner cartridge container, or the wind blowing through the trees. Its just like coccidioides immitis. It just happens. Your shoes was just one in several million ways the dog could have caught it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs