U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,766,509 times

Advertisements

Our new dog is four and suffers from severe frightfulness. She has two spots that she stays in by choice and I have to carry her to go outside. She won't even get up to eat. I have been putting the food bowl right at her face and she gobbles it up. Tried moving it about six inches away and she won't touch it. It took ten days before she would take a treat from me. She isn't scared of me and even nuzzles my hand when I stop petting her now. One day she wagged her tail, once, when I came home.

She is slowly coming out of her shell, mostly when I take her in the yard, when she will run a little bit and her tail comes out from between her legs. She will go to the bathroom and then make a beeline for my side and pines to go back in the house to her safe spots.

I know that it will take time, but in the interim, is there anything that I can give her to relax her a little? Anyone tried the Bach's product for anxiety in dogs?

I have to take her with me on a long weekend and I know that it will cause her to revert and I have no idea how the car trip will be. I don't want to drug her up, but she really needs something to not be trembling all the time. I won't be able to get her to the vet before we leave and was hoping that someone has has success with an herbal remedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 AM

2,187 posts, read 6,810,493 times
Try a thunder shirt. That has worked wonders for some reason...and has helped countless foster dogs in the past. I wouldn't baby her, it only creates expectations which are very difficult habits to break. It may be wise to get a crate if you don't have one - one of the cave like ones - not the wire ones (the plastic kennel cab's come in various sizes and you can get them at Wal-Mart for good prices. Start to feed her in the crate, and get her to feel comfortable in at least one spot, but make sure you get the Thunder Shirt or play "Through a Dog's Ear" - a CD that is special for dogs with anxiety and separation anxiety issues. They have a CD that is just for car rides too. Just give her time and let her come to you.

Good Luck and Please keep us posted!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,054,423 times
It seems to me that your dog was mistreated by someone and is having a hard time trusting anyone or being comfortable in any place.
Only love and time can reverse that. If it is responding to you as far as coming to you the start of trusting someone is beginning to form.
But it might still be afraid of people in general. She may still be afraid of things, people, noises, etc, that might remind her of her past.
Some of the greatest pets are rescue's that find a good and loving home.
Give her time.
As far as the car trip, take her on some short runs to get accustomed to riding in a car and being with you in the car and getting used to the noise, motion, and so on. I hook a seatbelt to my dog's leash just to train her where I want her to sit. Now she knows that is her place. Her comfy spot in the car.
Once she learns that her enviorment is safe with you and yours she will adjust.
Be patient. Show her love and that you can be trusted.
Somtimes it takes awhile to bring around the love and trust that a possibly abused dog can show.
But it is worth the effort.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,028,696 times
I give this to my dogs when there are fireworks. I only give them 1, less than the recommended dosage for their size, just to take the edge off.
Amazon.com: Happy Traveler Calming Product for Dogs and Cats - 30 ct: Pet Supplies

Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,766,509 times
You all are great. Thank you for the recommendations and advice. I'm going to check them out. Wish I could get on of those thunder shirts before the trip. They look great. Same theory as swaddling a baby, I guess.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,779,584 times
couldn't think of the name of this when i read this thread earlier.....

but an herb called valerian root helps bailey deal with fireworks and her (new this year) fear of thunderstorms.....

a friend of mine who fosters many many dogs swears by it.... she gave me a few to try for bailey ..... the next time thunderstorms were predicted, i gave her one shortly before we went to bed and she did MUCH better.....

you can get it at walmart, drug stores, whatever ... in the vitamin section....

its about $4 for a bottle of .... geez, i can't remember how many capsules.... but it does have a good calming effect on her.....

Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,810,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
You all are great. Thank you for the recommendations and advice. I'm going to check them out. Wish I could get on of those thunder shirts before the trip. They look great. Same theory as swaddling a baby, I guess.

All of our specialty stores - independent pet supply stores have started to carry them so we don't have to order them online. You may just want to check one out before then. The CD's are available to download at iTunes. It is just classical music set at a lower tempo. It annoyed me but calmed them. Go figure.

I hope the trip goes well!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 PM

533 posts, read 1,637,943 times
Chase had a thundershirt once...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs018.ash2/34248_711046195927_36621205_39672722_8116231_n.jpg (broken link)

We had him wear it several times before we left him alone for a little bit with it on. Then he got anxious and this is what we came home to...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs018.snc4/34248_711046200917_36621205_39672723_2067125_n.jpg (broken link)

He tore it to bits and escaped the crate, cracking his tooth in the process. Thundershirts, rescue remedy, and xanax couldn't help our pup.

What helped us was working with a trainer, lots of patience, and helping him build confidence. It took some time but he's doing much better.

Good luck with your little one! Hopefully the thundershirt works for you. I will say they ship FAST and they did honor their money back guarantee, so it's worth a shot.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM

177 posts, read 361,122 times
The Bach's herbal is called Rescue Remedy. I tried it many times on one fo my dogs with severe thunderphobia, among other fears. It works for many, doesn't work for many others. It never made a differance for my sweet boy, but I gave it anyway in case it helped.
It's flower essences, and a touch of alcohol if I remember correctly.
You can put a few drops under the tongue, as well as add some to her water bowl.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM

177 posts, read 361,122 times
The most important thing you can do,is not act like she has these anxieties. It's fine to say an easy going, but secure, "it's okay" , but try not to cajole.

Also,if you could try to eat whenever it's time for her to eat, setting the bowl the 6 inches away from her, with both of you getting ready to eat. If you can, take as long as it takes until she gets to her bowl and eats too, the both of you eating together - even making more chewing sounds then you normally would.

That's really great that you already see improvements in her level of anxiety tho', so what you're doing is working!
I'd definitely begin car rides now building up her tolerance in small increments if possible. Even if she's still nervous she'll have been in the car and it won't be totally new.

* Very important and I'm sure she already has her ID tags, but it's so important to be sure you have them on her at all times. It's awful to have to think about any of our pups getting lost, but dogs do get lost while on vacation, and then they are lost far away from home. So I just want to mention ID tags too just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs