Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM

13 posts, read 50,576 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

So i'm not sure if any of you have heard this before... My dog has been dealing with distichia (ingrown eyelashes poking his eye ball) the past year and 1/2... so we went for our monthly visit to get some laser hair removal in his eye and the vet mentions how he thinks my dog needs a facelift!

Now, call me crazy, but laser hair removal already sounds ridiculous but FACELIFT!?

Vet is saying because of my bulldogs' wrinkles, it's pulling down on his eye, and he suggests to 'nip and tuck' the skin as a preventative for the future. Since surgerys are dangerous, esp in bulldogs because of their breathing, he advises to do the surgery asap.

I love my baby and will do anything to keep him healthy. I just want to make sure this surgery is something he actually NEEDS.

Has anyone heard of such surgery? thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
Have you seen pictures of bulldogs? Most of them look as tho they could use a facelift, mine included. Doesn't mean it should be done. As for the eyelids growing into the eye, then yes that is something that needs to be addressed. The lashes need to be removed. I'm curious as to why you waited a year and 1/2 to take care of the eye?

I think I would find a new Vet.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:57 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Our Chow mix had I believe the same thing but they called it entropian. The wrinkliness around her eyes made her lashes turn the wrong way and scrape on her eyeballs. This was about 1995 so there was no laser option. They said the constant scraping would cause infections that could eventually cause her to lose her sight. So yes, she had an eye tuck. She did fine with it. She passed away last year, never having had more trouble with her eyes.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times
Oh....where is MAK when you need her lol

Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times
If my vet suggested a surgery like that I would get a second opinion to be sure. How much do you trust the vet?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
In my dog's case her eyes were constantly watering and irritated from the lashes. If you looked with a flashlight you could see the lashes lying against the eyeball. Is your dog experiencing this? If so I'd go with the surgery. If not, yeah I'd get another opinion.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
a face lift, absoltuly not.

there is a procedure called an eye tuck specifically for dogs with this problem, they simply adjust the eye lid with a slice and a couple of stitches tso that as it heals the eye lid doesnt have the inturn.

the weight of the wrinkles/skin has NOTHING to do with it, its a birth defect common in wrinkled dogs, but its due to the way the excess skin osits on the eyelid.

a simple eye tuck is a few minutes under the knife, nay vet describing this as a "face lift" or trying to talk you into giving your dog a "afce lift"...well id personally run from.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
One of my brothers bulldogs also had that problem and had several procedures to remove the lashes and he would be fine for awhile but soon would have issues again so they had surgery done not sure if it was an eye tuck or not but the dog has had no problems for months so it was well worth it for him. My brother does use a vet that specialized in Bulldogs and is well known in the OC area of So. Cal and the dog did fine during the surgery.

In these cases you are not doing it for cosmetic reasons but for the comfort/health of the dog.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Find a local club in your area (Bulldog Club of America is the parent club) and this is their website:

The Bulldog Club of America

Get input from the members in your area before you agree to anything. If anyone know about a breed and what is best, what doctors are best for it, and can provide valuable information, it is those that are heavily involved in the breed. Especially if you contact someone who is a member of their health committee.

You really have to be careful with veterinarians and the smooshy nosed breeds, because so many have limited knowledge about them.

Good Luck and Please keep us posted!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
It sounds more like entropion than distichiasis. It's a *very* common issue in Bulldogs and easily corrected with surgery. The only post-op complication is dry eye, which may require lifetime use of eye drops (kind of like with cherry eye). The SoCal Bulldog rescue has a ton of Bulldogs that need this procedure. If you're in the SoCal area, Dr. Butchko in Riverside is the man to see. He only sees Bulldogs, no other breed, and performs a ton of surgeries every single day. Here is more info on the condition:

http://bulldogdomain.com/health/entropion_ectropion.php

Congenital and Inherited Eye Conditions

As far as your vet suggesting a face lift, he's an idiot and really shouldn't be practicing medicine. It's like teling a shar-pei owner that their dogs are too wrinkled. I have 2 Bulldogs and while neither has ever needed this corrective procedure for entropion, I know plenty of others that have.

ETA: If you tell me where you're located, I'll give you a name of a Bulldog vet in your area. I have a list for the entire nation.

Last edited by MAK802; 12-22-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs