U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,297,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Hummm I do not think I said you have to go pick up after more dogs, I suggested you talk with some dog groups in your area and see if they would be willing to educate other dog owners.Then I merely told of what the group here has done in he past and how it did improve the situation in this area so from your reply I guess it is easier to sit and complain about things instead of helping to be a part of a solution.
Yes you did. Read your big long post a while back.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Yes you did. Read your big long post a while back.
uuummmm .... NO, she didn't .... although I could see how someone with such a mindset might misconstrue her suggestion.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have to say by all means call animal control as I said before I would rather see a dog end up at our shelter then hit by a car. Dogs running free can be dangerous as not only may they get killed or injured but they could cause a car accident or injure another animal or person or get into a number of situations. People that just let dogs run free should not own a dog. If they do love their dogs and have to pay a hefty fine to get them back maybe they will think twice about letting them run free..but maybe not as some people just do not get it.

Last year as I was leaving work at 7AM I saw a large Rottie running down the freeway onramp towards rush hour traffic so I pulled over and got out and called and he came right to me and jumped in my car. He had a collar and tag so I turned around and went back to work and called the number but no answer so I left a message with my phone # and took the dog home. I kept calling that number for the next hour but no answer. I had to work again that night and my one dog did not like having the rottie in her house so as soon as the shelter opened I was there and turned him in. When I got home I called the number again and left a message explaining the situation and why I took the dog to the shelter. Later that morning the owner finally called and she was very upset as she had to pay a fine to get him back and was mad I took him there. I said look he was running onto the freeway where he probably would have been hit but I stopped, wasted over an hour of my time trying to get a hold of you and because of it he is alive and uninjured, if you cannot be thankful of that then maybe you should not own a dog" ( or something close to that) and hung up.

Had one of my dogs somehow gotten out and someone did that I would have been thanking them big time but some people do not get it and maybe your neighbors are among that crowd.

I don't know where you live but maybe talking with some dog groups and getting them involved in educating the public about cleaning up after their dogs would help too. We have a group here called DOG PAC that I belonged to years ago and we did that. We even held days where a lot of people came out to which ever park we picked and had a clean up day where we picked up dog poop and educated owners. People would pass and ask what we were doing and that opened the door for education and back then a lot of people just said "I never even thought about it but now I will carry bags with me and use them" People think leaving the poop is OK as they believe it will just break down and fertilize the ground when the truth is in many cases it does not break down due to the preservatives in many dog foods and it is a source of disease so that is where the education helped as once they understood the facts they quite often joined us. As to the issue yes there are still those lazy people who will not clean up but things here have improved a lot. It can pay to be part of the solution instead of the problem by getting pro active.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or