U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493

Advertisements

Anyone have any input on either of these foods? I currently feed my lab BB Wilderness Duck formula and everyone is very happy with it, but I see I can get TOTW Wetlands for a few bucks less and get an extra 5-6 lbs more of food. Would rather be on TOTW if it's a comparable product.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493
Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
Reputation: 9581
both are realy good foods.

BB has turkey, is slightly higher in protein, slighlty lower in fat
totw has quail (i prefer over turkey), is lower in protein but a little higher in fat.
both however are in a good range

contact TOTW and see if they will send you a couple of sample bags. (they usually do) and see if your dogs like it...
if they do and a couple of dollars and a few extra lbs are better for your budget, the 2 foods are VERY VERY similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 12:13 PM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
both are realy good foods.

BB has turkey, is slightly higher in protein, slighlty lower in fat
totw has quail (i prefer over turkey), is lower in protein but a little higher in fat.
both however are in a good range

contact TOTW and see if they will send you a couple of sample bags. (they usually do) and see if your dogs like it...
if they do and a couple of dollars and a few extra lbs are better for your budget, the 2 foods are VERY VERY similar.
Awesome, thank you very much. I picked up a 10$ bag of TOTW and my 12mo lab is starting to transition to it. Basically I can get 30 lbs of TOTW for 45$ or a 24lb bag of BBW for 50$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 34,324,159 times
Reputation: 7077
TOTW is a good product. It isn't the absolute ultimate dog food, but don't let the price fool you - it's good stuff. Costco's grain free dog food is essentially the same formula and is manufactured by the company, just FYI (although you do not have the protein source selection that you have with TOTW; I can't use the Costco grain free for this reason - it has a protein that my dog is allergic to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
TOTW is a good product. It isn't the absolute ultimate dog food, but don't let the price fool you - it's good stuff. Costco's grain free dog food is essentially the same formula and is manufactured by the company, just FYI (although you do not have the protein source selection that you have with TOTW; I can't use the Costco grain free for this reason - it has a protein that my dog is allergic to).
The two Costcos by me only carry the non-grain free one.. the regular Kirkland Signature adult foods... the "Super Premium" ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 34,324,159 times
Reputation: 7077
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
The two Costcos by me only carry the non-grain free one.. the regular Kirkland Signature adult foods... the "Super Premium" ones.
I don't know much about that food but my knee-jerk is to be suspicious. That said, there are lots of dogs that never have any problems with "conventional" foods and live to be 17 or 18 in spite of never eating anything other than Purina Green Bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't know much about that food but my knee-jerk is to be suspicious. That said, there are lots of dogs that never have any problems with "conventional" foods and live to be 17 or 18 in spite of never eating anything other than Purina Green Bag.
My parents have dogs like that. Freefeed Costco food between 4 dogs (GSD mutt, Golden, Dachshund and a JRT) and they are all healthy as can be, but I figured I only have the one dog so why not feed something good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
 
33 posts, read 21,843 times
Reputation: 54
I've been giving my two guys TOTW for two years,ever since they switched from puppy to adult food. I don't if it's the food or not but their breaths don't stink, they don't smell like dog. the house does'nt smell like a dog lives there.the coats are nice,not oily but shiney and soft.i also put a little salmon oil ( like a tbsp)on the food.I bring this up because my last german shepherd lived 15 years on purina dog chow. bad breath, ears always bothering him , oily coat,just smelled "doggy".then there's the poop ! it just seems to decompose very quickly,this is two big dogs, about 235 pounds of dog in about 1/4 acre fenced area.I never see but a few piles of poop out there. The purina poop on the otherhand, just piled up faster than it decomposed . there was 2 or 3 times the amount of poop piles with one purina pooping pup than there is with 2 totw poopers.oh yea, they eat it up everyday.2 1/2 cups twice a day.it's good quality dog food,imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
Reputation: 9581
kirkland is actually quite a good food at a great price, no corn and no byproducts! looking at the ingredients the only one i have a problem with is beet pulp because it tends to cause tear staining (and my female is prone to tear staining) otherwise its a great food (just not grain free)
its what i feed, its not the best but untill i can switch them to raw full time its budget frinedly, they look and seem to feel great, poop no more than once a day, and have great energy.
no gas, no runny poops, no funny smell ect. and most importantly..they LOVE it and eat it readily.
and considering i can get the huge 40lb bag for $23...the price is right for my very tight budget.

if you want your local costco to carry the new grain free give managment a call and ask. my local costco is looking into whether they can get it on their shelves...and if not if theyd be able to special order for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top