U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,489,316 times

Advertisements

Is there any breed that would be considered a guard dog, that would be good for my elderly mother?

She's fit, and healthy for her age but she needs a guard dog after a very suspicious and a bit scary incident at her house earlier today. My husband and I would see to it that the dog was well exercised, properly trained, etc.

So in a nutshell are there any breeds that are low key and make excellent guard dogs?

PS...I'd get her a security system, but by her own admission she is not electronically adept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

36,609 posts, read 41,896,432 times
The mere presence of a dog, especially dogs that bark loudly, is often enough to deter would-be intruders...they make too much racket, even if they're not guard dogs, per se, and aren't generally worth the trouble.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:36 PM

43,547 posts, read 52,647,623 times
Go to the pound and find a nice, calm dog that your mother enjoys as a companion. Just him/her being there will be a deterrent to burglars. When asked which item in a house made it the least attractive, the burglars surveyed in prison stated it wasn't guns or alarms or gates...it was dogs.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,489,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The mere presence of a dog, especially dogs that bark loudly, is often enough to deter would-be intruders...they make too much racket, even if they're not guard dogs, per se, and aren't generally worth the trouble.
We have a great watch dog ourselves in our MinPin. But I am thinking if this guy today who was balsy enough to p@&S in her yard in broad daylight, is probably brazen enough to attempt anything. There are just some creeps strung out on drugs and stuff that wouldn't think twice about busting into someones house...barking or not. That is why, if someone should try to enter her house, I would like her to have a dog that would chew the crap out of them, giving her time to flee.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 PM

360 posts, read 633,492 times
If you want an adult dog for her, perhaps you could find a nice older German Shepherd or a Doberman through a rescue group. Both of these breeds are protective, and good companions.
They are generally high drive, high energy dogs, but an older adult would not be so much and would likely be a good fit for your mother and a deterrent to the creeps in the area.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM

A trained attack/guard dog is an entirely different proposition. I don't think any dog could otherwise be guaranteed to 'chew the crap out of them.'

Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,146,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
We have a great watch dog ourselves in our MinPin. But I am thinking if this guy today who was balsy enough to p@&S in her yard in broad daylight, is probably brazen enough to attempt anything. There are just some creeps strung out on drugs and stuff that wouldn't think twice about busting into someones house...barking or not. That is why, if someone should try to enter her house, I would like her to have a dog that would chew the crap out of them, giving her time to flee.
While I understand your feelings, having a dog that would "chew the crap" out of someone...anyone...is a huge responsibility and potential liability. Unless the dog and your mother are properly trained in how to react appropriately, I would go with a well behaved dog who will make lots of noise.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,347 times
Default Rotts are the best

Consider getting your mom a rottweiler as a guard dog. They make outstanding companions and excellent guard dogs. Training is key, but once they are your pal, they protect you and love you for life!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM

36,609 posts, read 41,896,432 times
I'm staying right this minute in a house with two min pins, and if I wanted to get into a house unobtrusively, I can tell you right now that that this would NOT be the house to attempt to get into.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Our collies are the big dawgs with the deep barks in this house...but it's the 'huahuas that will raise the devil if anything's amiss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or