U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:27 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,280,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
actually .... buddy-the-giant-lab who lived with me for 14 months was 98 lbs .... solid muscle ... no excess fat AT ALL.... just a big big boy..... i'm thinkin' the byber's are heading them in that direction...... because i KNOW that's where he originated.....
I don't care if it's muscle. The dog's joints can't hold the weight, muscle or not. People make a huge mistake thinking big big dog is cool. It's not cool even if it's muscle. Weight is weight on their bones and joints. We cut back our lab's weight when he was probably 7 years old. He wasn't fat, he was all muscle. But the vet said he weighed too much at 100lbs and he would have problems when he got older. He's 73 pounds now. The vet says the perfect weight. Guess what? All that extra weight earlier in his life did weaken his joints. He was never a little dog. Even at 73 pounds he is still a huge lab with super long legs, long torso, big head, huge feet Just because breeders made him big doesn't mean that he should have extra weight.

And my dog wasn't from a puppy mill. He came from a long line of reputable pedigree champions. Both is mother and father were champions too. His father was a model for ford truck advertisements. He was his mother's first and only litter. I know this because the owner is my friend. The mother was her pet. She had her studded specifically for me and that was the only time because it was done just for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidilynn08 View Post
I do understand that it was not good to do, as do they, but just at the moment tempers flared. We take him to the vet regurlary and they said he needs to loose about ten lbs. Truthfully my parents need a wake up call.
Until they get to the bottom of his problem, they need to build a ramp for him to go up and down the stairs. And they need to introduce him to the ramp in a manner that he will use it.

Quote:
We have tried to build up his confidence but its difficult, we have tried many approaches but all seemed to fail. We know that they are prone to some sort of movement problem but the vet ruled out the dysplacia. When he was a pup the vet did inform us that he has a "chipped elbow". This whole fear seems to come and go. If we try and fail to get him out he will be scared the rest of the day. But there is a chance he would succeed in the morning.
Take him to the vet again. If there's nothing physically wrong with him, the vet could prescribe him antidepressants, which work wonders for non physical 'issues.'

Quote:
They do give him the best food but they feed it to him too many times a day.
Quote:
We have two labs in the house. The other one is a female so naturally a smaller dog. She is 50lbs and looks very healthy and sleek but even though the other one is a lot bigger he does seem to be a big overweight. Thank you all so much for the comments so far!
Your parents need to cut back on overfeeding him and make sure he gets exercise. If he's already overweight, he's going to develop serious problems if he remains inactive due to his fear of using the stairs because he's only going to get bigger and bigger when he's already too big.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-28-2010 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,377,322 times
My guess is that he's sore in the front shoulders, for whatever reason. Case in point: When deer hunting, a shoulder hit will force the deer to run uphill, a back shot will cause him to run downhill. Anyway, I'd take him to a vet for X-Rays. That would be $75 well-spent. Also, he will check for hip displasia that is very common in larger dogs. If it turns out that he's just afraid to go downstairs, maybe you could walk with him slowly, with your hand on his back. Once they're scared of something, it's a hard thing for them to forget.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,833,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't care if it's muscle. The dog's joints can't hold the weight, muscle or not. People make a huge mistake thinking big big dog is cool. It's not cool even if it's muscle. Weight is weight on their bones and joints. We cut back our lab's weight when he was probably 7 years old. He wasn't fat, he was all muscle. But the vet said he weighed too much at 100lbs and he would have problems when he got older. He's 73 pounds now. The vet says the perfect weight. Guess what? All that extra weight earlier in his life did weaken his joints. He was never a little dog. Even at 73 pounds he is still a huge lab with super long legs, long torso, big head, huge feet Just because breeders made him big doesn't mean that he should have extra weight.

And my dog wasn't from a puppy mill. He came from a long line of reputable pedigree champions. Both is mother and father were champions too. His father was a model for ford truck advertisements. He was his mother's first and only litter. I know this because the owner is my friend. The mother was her pet. She had her studded specifically for me and that was the only time because it was done just for me.

Until they get to the bottom of his problem, they need to build a ramp for him to go up and down the stairs. And they need to introduce him to the ramp in a manner that he will use it.

Take him to the vet again. If there's nothing physically wrong with him, the vet could prescribe him antidepressants, which work wonders for non physical 'issues.'

Your parents need to cut back on overfeeding him and make sure he gets exercise. If he's already overweight, he's going to develop serious problems if he remains inactive due to his fear of using the stairs because he's only going to get bigger and bigger when he's already too big.
sorry .... i in no way meant to imply your fella was from a byb ..... and i never said that i thought giant labs were cool ..... was just describing my own personal experience with a very large yellow lab...... and my own suspicions about what the byber's are doing to this breed....... because there ARE morons out there who think oversized is cool......

Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,259 times
My dog Max is a Golden Retriever as of yesterday he would not step up unto the curb while walking so we headed back home. When we arrived he would not walk up the stairs, we just moved into an apartment with about 9 steps prior Max had always been in a house with a yard. Now we walk at least 4 times a day I think it has taken a toll on him. max is 10 years old and weighs 95 lbs he only eats 2cups of food a day I thought when we moved it wouldn't be so bad because we would walk everyday due to we were in a apartment, now this happened. He will be going to the Vet tomorrow and I am looking for a ramp so he can go up and down the stairs outdoors. He so far will not pre or poop ion the pads I purchased last night.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,321,163 times
But he IS still peeing and pooping?

Glad you are getting this boy to the vet - please keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs