Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

Thanks all. I really appreciate the support. Just got to feeling pretty ...................... overwhelmed? last night when I found out about the article. Hopefully they don't read the stupid little town newspapers in their 'big city'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
In Florida we used to call local papers like that "Mullet wrappers" since they were only good for wrapping up fish guts. Discuss with an attorney sending a letter to the paper advising them that you will sue their pants off if they print even one unsubstanciated lie about you. That may cool them off.

5 Cheerleaders are rooting for you here in Houston (2 human & three canine)

Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
Sounds like the perfect position for you. I believe experience is more needed than a BA, and you have plenty of it. Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 7,770 times
How are you going to handle the euth. portion of the job? Not a chanllenge.... just wondering about how much you will be involved in this?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM

Any updates Mrs?....inquiring minds want to know!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 PM

The euth part will suck. I do have to get my euth cert and I will be responsible for euth'ing the babies. And those will be the days I drive home in tears wishing I'd just taken a job as a fry cook at Mickey D's. But I know that I'll be euth'ing a lot less than they are right now. So even though I can't save them all, I can save way more as the Director than I could if I didn't take the job.

I did get in touch with some of the volunteers there by e-mail. I've given them my phone number and encouraged them to call me. It sounds like they've got a very dedicated group there but for some reason the current Director treats them like crap. They're not allowed there on days the shelter is closed which is stupid. They want to go walk the dogs and give them their food and water and play with them. Why would you not allow trusted vols that have been helping for years to do that?? That's a HUGE help to a shelter!!!

There are a lot of issues they have. And they're a group of people with huge hearts that want to help as much as I do. They've got a list of the problems there and they want to help come up with solutions. They're just a wonderful bunch of people.

Just got the paperwork out the other day. I did find out that the mayor could care less how the Director runs it. As long as there are no problems he doesn't want to hear from you. That's wonderful news! They said the Director gets to make ALL of the decisions on what criteria to base whether or not they're going to work with a rescue on, how they're going to care for the animals medically when they arrive, the criteria to base adoptions on, when and why animals are euth'd, etc. It's exactly what I want!!!

If I get the job the first thing I plan on doing is having a half day of adoptions, closing early and bringing in all of the staff and volunteers and having a very open meeting. Bring me every single problem you see that currently exists and let's work together to come up with a plan of attack to change that. The next thing I'm doing is sending out a blast e-mail to every rescue I've worked with in the country and begging them to start coming to pull from there. No more crazy pull fees, no more demanding they use our vets or boarders or transporters. Pulled with just their vaccs and de-wormer, there's no pull fee. Then do a pull fee that's a la carte - HW test before pull $10, Spay and neuter for a discounted price, rabies, etc. I know rescues up north have a horrible time getting animals vetted because it's so expensive. So if I do a proposal for the local vets and give them a list of what we're willing to pay for vetting, we can extend that price to the rescues if they want to pull them fully vetted. They can just set up payment with them directly over the phone.

Once that's all set up I want to do a huge community event. Invite the public in to see the shelter, meet me, see the animals, and do a short meet and greet telling them about the changes we're planning. I'd like to discuss the current euth rate and what our goals are for a month out, six months out and a year out. Then get with the schools and get a much needed educational program started for each grade. With paid staff I can easily take an hour or two away from the office to go do them. And I'm in the middle of getting Munchi CGC certified so I can take her with me. Figured the kids would respond better to the educational material if they've got her to interact with one on one.

Anyway, that's where we stand. They don't close the application accepting until Monday. So I don't expect to hear from them for another week or so if they're even willing to talk to me at all. I'm on pins and needles, crossing every single thing I can. My tummy gets all twisty and gurgly when I think about it. I know I can do this job and do an amazing job. I've been in touch with the Director of another shelter in the middle TN area that had euth rates of over 90% and when their new Director came in he dropped it to 6%! So with a Director that's truly driven it can work and there's no doubt I'm very driven. I want this so bad!!!! If I don't get it I'm going to be so crushed!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
was just thinking about this today......

and continuing to send good karma your way......

please please keep us posted!!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM

No doubt you are on pins and needles. Keep us updated. We are all in your corner & hoping that you get the chance to help the animals!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Perhaps I missed it but is there any update? A decision reached yet?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Got the e-mail tonight in the middle of the transport chaos that they have more qualified candidates.

Not too sure how I feel about it. I'd been told later on that the Mayor doesn't want anyone in there that wants to change things. He wants someone that will do what he says when he says. Which means 90% euth rates. If that was the case I couldn't have taken the job anyway.

I talked to my friend that's the Director of the shelter that helped put me in touch with the amazing group that helped the transport dogs tonight. Told her I was selling my house and moving up with her and would accept her Asst Director position. Kind of think I was only half kidding............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs