U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,324,549 times

Advertisements

I probably shouldn't say anything because I don't want to jinx myself, but..........

The shelter that's about an hour from me that has been my second most hated in this area is looking for a new Director. Don't know the story behind what happened with the one that's in there. Whoever it was, they did a better job than the person before her. When I moved here they were looking at nearly 90% euth rates and didn't work with more than 2 rescuers. This person came in and started working with some more rescues, though still not many, and their rates of euth did drop some.

However, they still only work with very few rescues which doesn't help much and they require you use their vet, their transport person, their boarders, etc., so by the time a rescue does pull a dog you've got about $200 in fees already into the dog. My adoption fee is less than that, so I've not been able to help. I pulled one that was sponsored when I first moved up here and then pulled one myself about 6 months later. I wasn't told about the fees so after paying them I just couldn't help them again.

Anyway, whoever this person is, they've made some improvements but there are soooooo many more than need to be made. So a friend that does rescue told me they're looking and asked if I'd be interested. Since I lost my job in October and I've had to close the rescue (for the most part), it seems perfect. I've wanted to run a rescue down here for a long time. They just don't do them to benefit the animals. The mindset here seems to be the idea is to destroy any unwanted pets instead of to find homes / rescues for them.

So, I did my resume and their application and other paperwork they require. A friend of mine that's a Director of another shelter is doing a letter of recommendation for me. My former HR Director is doing one as a general letter of rec, just that I'm a very reliable employee. I've got one from my former LT from when I was in law enforcement that I'll send along as well. Hoping I can get in touch with my ex boss in the next day or two and have him do one for me on the business management / accounting side.

So, their requirements are a BA degree which I don't have and 3 years experience. However, I do have 16 years experience in rescue, business management and accounting experience, and I've been doing consulting work for other rescues and shelters for the last five years, as well as public speaking for counties and communities in the state on animal welfare issues. I'm *hoping* they'll accept that in place of the BA. I'd have to get my state certification in euthanasia, which won't be a problem. Told them I'd also attend two classes per year for continuing education, which I've always thought is very important in any career. And I offered a salary that's about $10,000 less than what they've got posted as their minimum, but even that is a bit more than I made in my last job, so it would still be a massive bonus for me. Doing what I love, taking my little Munchi to work with me and making more money, even if it's not that much more?? That would be heaven!!

They are taking apps for another two weeks, so it'll be quite a while before I know anything, but man I'm praying and have my fingers crossed tight over this one!!! Once I hear anything I'll let you all know though. Please cross your fingers, toes, eyes and anything else you have for me. Not only would this be amazing for me, I know it would be incredible for the animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM

3,597 posts, read 10,936,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I probably shouldn't say anything because I don't want to jinx myself, but..........

The shelter that's about an hour from me that has been my second most hated in this area is looking for a new Director. Don't know the story behind what happened with the one that's in there. Whoever it was, they did a better job than the person before her. When I moved here they were looking at nearly 90% euth rates and didn't work with more than 2 rescuers. This person came in and started working with some more rescues, though still not many, and their rates of euth did drop some.

However, they still only work with very few rescues which doesn't help much and they require you use their vet, their transport person, their boarders, etc., so by the time a rescue does pull a dog you've got about $200 in fees already into the dog. My adoption fee is less than that, so I've not been able to help. I pulled one that was sponsored when I first moved up here and then pulled one myself about 6 months later. I wasn't told about the fees so after paying them I just couldn't help them again.

Anyway, whoever this person is, they've made some improvements but there are soooooo many more than need to be made. So a friend that does rescue told me they're looking and asked if I'd be interested. Since I lost my job in October and I've had to close the rescue (for the most part), it seems perfect. I've wanted to run a rescue down here for a long time. They just don't do them to benefit the animals. The mindset here seems to be the idea is to destroy any unwanted pets instead of to find homes / rescues for them.

So, I did my resume and their application and other paperwork they require. A friend of mine that's a Director of another shelter is doing a letter of recommendation for me. My former HR Director is doing one as a general letter of rec, just that I'm a very reliable employee. I've got one from my former LT from when I was in law enforcement that I'll send along as well. Hoping I can get in touch with my ex boss in the next day or two and have him do one for me on the business management / accounting side.

So, their requirements are a BA degree which I don't have and 3 years experience. However, I do have 16 years experience in rescue, business management and accounting experience, and I've been doing consulting work for other rescues and shelters for the last five years, as well as public speaking for counties and communities in the state on animal welfare issues. I'm *hoping* they'll accept that in place of the BA. I'd have to get my state certification in euthanasia, which won't be a problem. Told them I'd also attend two classes per year for continuing education, which I've always thought is very important in any career. And I offered a salary that's about $10,000 less than what they've got posted as their minimum, but even that is a bit more than I made in my last job, so it would still be a massive bonus for me. Doing what I love, taking my little Munchi to work with me and making more money, even if it's not that much more?? That would be heaven!!

They are taking apps for another two weeks, so it'll be quite a while before I know anything, but man I'm praying and have my fingers crossed tight over this one!!! Once I hear anything I'll let you all know though. Please cross your fingers, toes, eyes and anything else you have for me. Not only would this be amazing for me, I know it would be incredible for the animals.
I don't think they could hire a better qualified or more dedicated person! I know you would be brilliant and the animals would be getting a needed champion! Fingers, toes and paws are all crossed here in Houston for you. Please let us know how it progresses

Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,548,821 times
fingers crossed for you! and the animals!!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Thanks! I signed up about a year and a half ago on a forum that's dedicated to people in Animal Control. I posted there as well and asked what they thought. Not many people on it so may be a day or so before I have an answer from them on their thoughts but will see. Figured even if I send the resume and all the worst they can do is laugh at me for not meeting their criteria and toss it in the trash. It's worth the try!!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 AM

13,848 posts, read 26,335,395 times
Hope hope hope, congrats!
And when you nail the people that tie pitties to trees, etc.,
FRY 'EM. (Animal Control officer friend in Rhode Island had a major rescue the day of the blizzard. Bless her and all those who help the critters).

Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 AM

17,157 posts, read 27,662,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I don't think they could hire a better qualified or more dedicated person! I know you would be brilliant and the animals would be getting a needed champion! Fingers, toes and paws are all crossed here in Houston for you. Please let us know how it progresses
This! This! Exactly this! Except in Connecticut, not in Houston.

They'd be crazy not to hire you. You're PERFECT for this job. It's perfect for you, it's perfect for the furries, it's perfect for the shelter. Win-Win-Win!

Best of luck to you, Ronni. I really want this awesomeness to work out for you.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm trying so hard to not get my hopes up. I want this so bad that if I let myself get excited about it and it doesnt' come through I know I'll be so crushed. But oh man it's hard to not get excited. This is what I've always wanted. My big concern as of today is how much room I'd have for making policy. Because it's a county office I'm not sure if I'm stuck under some butt clown's ignorance. I'm not sure I'd stay sane if I was.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'm trying so hard to not get my hopes up. I want this so bad that if I let myself get excited about it and it doesnt' come through I know I'll be so crushed. But oh man it's hard to not get excited. This is what I've always wanted. My big concern as of today is how much room I'd have for making policy. Because it's a county office I'm not sure if I'm stuck under some butt clown's ignorance. I'm not sure I'd stay sane if I was.
Not know how it works in your county, who actually makes the decision? Is it a county board of commissioners or one person? I'm asking because if its an elected official (or officials) that is/are making the decision, maybe you could get some of their constituents to put in a good word for you. There is nothing that can sway an elected official's heart more! Somewhere around 50 or so would probably lock it up for you no matter who the competition was!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Not know how it works in your county, who actually makes the decision? Is it a county board of commissioners or one person? I'm asking because if its an elected official (or officials) that is/are making the decision, maybe you could get some of their constituents to put in a good word for you. There is nothing that can sway an elected official's heart more! Somewhere around 50 or so would probably lock it up for you no matter who the competition was!
Says the position answers directly to the mayor so I'd think that's who's butt I need to kiss. I don't know many people there. I could ask the store manager where I do the adoption events and some of the employees there. I know a volunteer at the shelter and could ask her. But it's an hour from home and I've never done more than drive through.

Found out to today the HR Director that's doing the recommendation for me just got terminated. They decided to cut expenses more and do HR out of the home office in another state. So she stayed to help them, passed on almost 3 month's severance pay just so they can get a couple months down the road and fire her with no severance. Nice. Really nice.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Says the position answers directly to the mayor so I'd think that's who's butt I need to kiss. I don't know many people there. I could ask the store manager where I do the adoption events and some of the employees there. I know a volunteer at the shelter and could ask her. But it's an hour from home and I've never done more than drive through.

Found out to today the HR Director that's doing the recommendation for me just got terminated. They decided to cut expenses more and do HR out of the home office in another state. So she stayed to help them, passed on almost 3 month's severance pay just so they can get a couple months down the road and fire her with no severance. Nice. Really nice.
Well its good to know who's butt to kiss You may want to see if you can find someone that has dealings with the Mayor and have your resume slipped under his nose. I'd definately start with the store manager & see where you can go from there. It always helps if they have a face to go with the name and the more the name is brought to him the better!

Thats horrible about your HR friend. In this economy - nothing surprises me anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or