Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My complaint with the dogs is not day time. It is 10pm to 7am.I wish they did run loose all day, despite the leash law, so maybe they would wear themselves out and sleep at night. The cops said it is no good to call them during the day time for barking. The lady across the street calls during the day. That is a mistake.
I only call, if forced to, in the middle of the night.
Am I reading this correctly? It doesn't matter to you how the dogs are being treated or mistreated and don't care if they are running loose as long as you can get a night's sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Am I reading this correctly? It doesn't matter to you how the dogs are being treated or mistreated and don't care if they are running loose as long as you can get a night's sleep?
I do not think the dogs (being caged 24/7) are treated like pets.
They need another home.
They get zero attention = barking
Their cage is a health hazard to the dogs.
Their owner's are guilty of lying to the cops and to The Humane Society to avoid the LAW.

Their barking during the day does not bother me. If they were let loose all day long, I care less. I think they deserve more freedom to roam around.

I did not create the leash law, but that law is part of the problem.
They are keeping dogs for relatives and are forced to keep them caged 24/7. They have no other place for these 4 outside dogs, but a cage and a chain.

Sadly, when they are let out 2-3 times a month, for 5-10 minutes,
they do not run for their lives.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
I'm going to visit the Humane Society tomorrow, as phone calls do not work.

They need to know these dogs are in a cage

and the floor is:

A combination of food, dirt, straw, and feces.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
I totally get what you mean. The worst barking dogs bark when it is the most quiet. As soon as they hear a car drive by they stop to hear if it is the owner coming home with some food.

When you call the police to make a report they drive by and the dog stops barking when it hears them@!!#$%%!! Stupid dog!!!

When I have to call I insist that the responding officer gets out and actually knocks on the door. That will get the dog to start barking again.

I don't know what they do in my town, but they do respond to barking dog calls and I'm POSITIVE that no one likes getting a visit from the cops even if it's just for the dogs.

Edit--Make sure not to contact the neighbors in the beginning so they don't know to abuse you after the police come by.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Okay first a cop is not authorized to make decisions concerning animals at least not in my state and not many others that I know of and I have lived in a lot of states . I would call animal control and keep calling until you get results . these dogs are being mistreated and abused and that in itself is sad and disgusting . I say we chain the owner 24/7 nah Im kidding but I would like to do that to some dog owners . anyways keep calling and if you dont get results that way call the local tv stations I bet you will get results then . Good luck but maybe if you would keep calling you would get results .

Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Sounds like these people have no business whatsoever owning a dog, much less, dogs. They don't care about their dogs and they don't care about their neighbors.

I hope they Humane Society can help both of you.

Folks like that give us dog owners a bad reputation and most of us on this board would never dream of chaining or caging our dogs 24/7. We agonize over how the best ways to keep our dogs quiet if they are out of control barkers (like mine was).

We walk them; play with them; bring them in the house. People like that make me really mad.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I'm going to visit the Humane Society tomorrow, as phone calls do not work.

They need to know these dogs are in a cage

and the floor is:

A combination of food, dirt, straw, and feces.
I would try contacting rescues in your area and tell them what is going on with these dogs. They may be able to give you some suggestions. There are organizations out there that deal with these kind of issues. Contact the local news, expose them to whoever will listen.

No animal should have to live like this!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM

246 posts, read 278,987 times
Howard,
I can sympathize with you and the noise. The neighborhood I live in has one neighbor that keeps dogs that bark incessantly for the past 10 years whenever the owner is not home. We have had the police and animal control out numerous times and he has been cited, fined, taken to court and it still continues. I have met with the Mayor who seems concerned. One of the fines was $850. In our city, if the dogs bark non stop for 10minutes the owner can be cited. Unfortunately this neighbor is not getting the message that his animals are annoying.
I have 2 dogs of my own but they are spoiled, inside and do not cause problems.
In the beginning we did the video/audio tape and animal control used that in one of the court cases but still the dogs bark. I will never understand why people have dogs and throw them outside. Dogs are social and pack animals and need to be with their owners inside.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I had a similar situation with my one and only next door neighbor. She had 5 dogs, two of them young GSDs, and the GSDs barked loudly and often, especially at all hours of the night. I tried the polite direct confrontation method, and that got me nowhere.

So I called County A/C and they paid the people a visit. The result from that was a wooden fence was installed, but that didn't stop the damn dogs. I checked with the City and found out there's a 3 dog limit per household. Bingo. The GSDs disappeared.

Even with the knowledge that the local shelter is a kill shelter, I don't know where they went and I don't care. It's blissful to sleep all night with no interruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs