Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I'm curious as to how much extra these people had to pay to get Nala on the flight. How much they paid for the so-called "professional service" of moving their animal.

I don't know who exactly was responsible for her escape, but I'd wager that it's someone who doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of money, and didn't get a tremendous amount of training in this procedure. It's typical of big businesses, and especially the airlines now, who are nickel and diming customers to death and providing far less "service" than ever.

What skin is it off the airline's back? Pets are chattel, and the courts treat them as such.

I hope (but am not particularly *hopeful*) that some answers are found here, and that the airlines are somehow pressed to either change their procedures or offer their employees better training.
Excuse me ?, pets are chattel ? not in my way of thinking or in my house dear . I dont know if you have pets or not but I can sure tell you that they are most definately not chattel as you put it ...now Im steaming so I will leave this alone for now because I frankly have heard enough of backward thinking ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
I hope (but am not particularly *hopeful*) that some answers are found here, and that the airlines are somehow pressed to either change their procedures or offer their employees better training.
Everytime a incident occures the airline identify the failure in the system. If their failure, they outline the corrections being made from training, discipline, new procedures etc to prevent it from happening again. That information is transmitted througout the industry for all others to see. We know what happened and we know if an airline is doing what needs to be done. All the other airliles see what their competitors have done and they know what needs to be done to make sure it don;t happen to them. These incidents don;t haoppen and are not kept in a secret file, its spreads like wildfire thoughout the industry.

There are several groups developed byt he industry that reveiews these things and comments on the outcome. Nobody is more critical of an action by an airline than people from their competitors. I sit on such a commette that handles executive consumer issues submitted by top airline executives for reveiew. They are not interested on the spin, they want to know what the F went wrong and if they are fixing the darn thing correctly. I remember one issue a year ago where we blasted the airline because they should have fired the employee but only suspended them. belive me the reaction from that companies CEO was swift and it wasn;t just the person who messed up, but those who didn;t correct it as it should have been corrected.

I understand that pet owners are emotional when it comes to their pets. Thats alright with me, but that don;t mean we all have to be emotional to have the right to say what we feel needs to be said.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Excuse me ?, pets are chattel ? not in my way of thinking or in my house dear . I dont know if you have pets or not but I can sure tell you that they are most definately not chattel as you put it ...now Im steaming so I will leave this alone for now because I frankly have heard enough of backward thinking ..
Mishigas73 is not saying that pets are chattel only that the reality of how they are defined legally is as property. That's a fact, like it or not. Clearly the poster does not belive that to be the case but simply stated a fact that maybe is what everyone needs to work at changing. In the US pets are property. Don;t kill the messenger because you don;t like the message.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
*shrug* No need for the attitude, really.

Take a deep breath, and re-read what I wrote. Pets are chattel and the courts treat them as such. I didn't say that *I* believed that. That's what the law says, and that's how the airlines proceed, regardless of what I, you, or whomever else believe.

I understand your heightened emotions about this issue, but please read carefully before you start giving me attitude about something that I did not say. Yes, I *do* have animals. No matter how I feel about them, at the end of the day, the law looks upon them as property, and will compensate me accordingly if something should happen to them through someone else's negligence.

If you don't like that, work to change the law. It would be tough, considering that this idea goes back to the English Common Law, upon which our own system is built.

If you ship your animals through the airlines, you can hardly expect to have people treat them as you would. But, IMO, and what I was saying in my previous post, is that the airlines need to give better training to their employees in this respect, and compensate them accordingly.

Sorry you're steamed at this, but please, make sure that your anger is directed appropriately.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
That is a sad story. But...was the crate securely locked? Has the pet travelled previously? Maybe the pet should have had medication to make it less likely to escape, and run. When you put your pet on a plane, you are taking a risk. I have done it, but only on flights with no connections. Direct flight, with a dog that was used to air travel, and being in a crate for long periods of time. But it is a risk...

Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Truly sad. I wonder if the dog was let out by a disgruntled employee who hates dogs. Maybe the dog growled or snapped at one of the workers which led to the dogs demise?

Just my normal skeptical untrusting personality. Unfortunately dogs are viewed as property same as your luggage.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Everytime a incident occures the airline identify the failure in the system. If their failure, they outline the corrections being made from training, discipline, new procedures etc to prevent it from happening again. That information is transmitted througout the industry for all others to see. We know what happened and we know if an airline is doing what needs to be done. All the other airliles see what their competitors have done and they know what needs to be done to make sure it don;t happen to them. These incidents don;t haoppen and are not kept in a secret file, its spreads like wildfire thoughout the industry.

There are several groups developed byt he industry that reveiews these things and comments on the outcome. Nobody is more critical of an action by an airline than people from their competitors. I sit on such a commette that handles executive consumer issues submitted by top airline executives for reveiew. They are not interested on the spin, they want to know what the F went wrong and if they are fixing the darn thing correctly. I remember one issue a year ago where we blasted the airline because they should have fired the employee but only suspended them. belive me the reaction from that companies CEO was swift and it wasn;t just the person who messed up, but those who didn;t correct it as it should have been corrected.

I understand that pet owners are emotional when it comes to their pets. Thats alright with me, but that don;t mean we all have to be emotional to have the right to say what we feel needs to be said.

since you have access to the reports on investigation results, it would be good if you could update us when the reports are released.... even if it is months or more after the initial incident.....

i understand that they are released to the media, as well .... but i'm sure you realize that to the media, the story is old and this update doesn't have the shock and heartstring value of the initial story, so is rarely published.....

Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:

I wonder what the stats are related to pet incidents verses pet trips in a year. Im guessing its pretty low.

Do you know what airlines are the best at handling pets? Is there a report available?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Call me jaded, but after having worked in "big corporate America" and seeing this on a daily basis, I have to wonder what would be in it for them (i.e. the other airlines) to actually spend the money and other resources to change this? Heck, I see this every time I turn on my internet home page at work. Just from this, I see way more than I would ever want to about how our "competitors" are doing, and what they are doing wrong and right.

Our big push this past year has been customer satisfaction. Of course, it makes sense from a business perspective to spend resources to keep customers. If something like this had happened in our company this year, I'm sure that it would have been "big news" within the company. However, in the grand scheme of the company's business, this is but a *blip* in their radar. Sure, you'll have some disgruntled customers, but if the media doesn't keep showing it....well....you know as well as I do about how short the public's attention span is.

I'd really and truly like to believe that if this airline's competitor's see this, that will promote them to improve their own procedures. However, unless this fits into their annual "corporate push", I really don't see any real improvements happening. After all, really, does this have any real effect on their bottom line?

The reality of Corporate America is that the person who came up with charging for checked bags will get a *huge* promotion, yet the one who speaks up about the treatment of animals will most likely get a *ding* on their annual review because they haven't drank enough of the corporate Kool-Aid. Like I said, call me jaded, but this is the way I see it.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
*shrug* No need for the attitude, really.

Take a deep breath, and re-read what I wrote. Pets are chattel and the courts treat them as such. I didn't say that *I* believed that. That's what the law says, and that's how the airlines proceed, regardless of what I, you, or whomever else believe.

I understand your heightened emotions about this issue, but please read carefully before you start giving me attitude about something that I did not say. Yes, I *do* have animals. No matter how I feel about them, at the end of the day, the law looks upon them as property, and will compensate me accordingly if something should happen to them through someone else's negligence.

If you don't like that, work to change the law. It would be tough, considering that this idea goes back to the English Common Law, upon which our own system is built.

If you ship your animals through the airlines, you can hardly expect to have people treat them as you would. But, IMO, and what I was saying in my previous post, is that the airlines need to give better training to their employees in this respect, and compensate them accordingly.

I apologize I thought you were saying something else and misread your reply I most heartedly apologize to you .
Sorry you're steamed at this, but please, make sure that your anger is directed appropriately.

Im sorry and I apologize to you most heartedly . I truly did misread your reply . I do have a little bit of a chafed bumm when it comes to this considering my circumstances which anyone can and could understand . i just dont like animals being mistreated or killed because of human error or our imprint on them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs