U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,789,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
since you have access to the reports on investigation results, it would be good if you could update us when the reports are released.... even if it is months or more after the initial incident.....

i understand that they are released to the media, as well .... but i'm sure you realize that to the media, the story is old and this update doesn't have the shock and heartstring value of the initial story, so is rarely published.....
Save this link:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
Go to the month you want to research and click on that report. The last section will show the airline and how many pet deaths, injuries or lost pets they had. If you click on the airline, it will show their report they filed to the US government.

Those reports are basic and indicate the flight info, the animal info, what happened, any details that apply such as necropsy reports of a death, owner response usualy that they declined an investigation. Some will indicate if the owner admitted something.

They are not detailed and don't always answer questions because they have to file these soon after the incidents and additional details may come out later. Sometims the necropsy may show death from something that does not make any sense from air travel. Other times in states death or injusry from something that appears to be the airlines dault but may be from something before the fatal flight. The vet reports are simple statements but does not place blame.

The airlines may say that all procedures were followed but that doesn;t mean they are not at fault. The more critical internal reports of the airlines are propritary because they often include detaile employe info or security info and sometimes even protected trade info. When release they usualy are to solicite trade comments. Its these reports that say that all procedures were properly followed but maybe the procedures are wrong. Just like the DOT reports may say aditional traing or discipline was taken but not that they hauled everyone into training or the dicipline was termination.

Its like when you read the owner declined an investigation or necropsy, makes you wonder whats going on. But the airlines can't force it so the case is unsloved as to true cause of death.

Its not light pleasure reading but at least its more information than most have. The internal reports, well they are much more graphic including pictures and isn;t something we like to review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I wonder what the stats are related to pet incidents verses pet trips in a year. Im guessing its pretty low.

Do you know what airlines are the best at handling pets? Is there a report available?
Truth is they are all about even. Hawaiian airlines has the best record but thats because they have specific requirements. Most domestic carriers fair better because they dont have internation issues. Many international flights at some point have to turn control of animals over to local government or airport staff. Most US airlines when operating out of or into foreign airports don't have their own staff. They may have to use airport or contracted services.

Truth is non schedule commercial cargo only flights have the best record. But you pay for that special service.

Overall the rate is low compared to animals handled. But when something happens, it makes the 6 oclock news. You dont hear the same when something happens in a personal car. A person who lost their dog while traveling int heir car, or a dog that was injured or kill is not reported to anyone, but airlines have to report it. Compared to the number of animals lost, injured or killed while traveling in private cars is by far the worst way to travel compared to air transport.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
got it and done and thanks!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,175,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleys Mum View Post
Oh my Gosh!!! That is appalling

Was your dog ok?
They eventually found her and she was okay, but she was scared to go anywhere near the kennel afterwards (and I don't blame her).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm sorry but I cannot agree with your statement that "airlines in general are horrible with pets". Continental is very good with pets and works with many rescues for moving animals around the country to areas where they will have a better chance of being adopted. I've never used Delta, but I have used Continental both with rescue and personally. I have never had a bad experience with them.
I know one guy who used to work as a bagage handler for Continental and he pretty much agreed with my statement. Now granted they are probably better than Delta, but I have heard too many horror stories to even consider putting my dog on a plane.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,048,995 times
I'll be shipping a 6mo pup to Germany on Wednesday.

I've picked up many pups and dogs after there flight across the pond and not one has come out of the create and be stressed from the flight or handling.

Maybe our dogs are just stable.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
They eventually found her and she was okay, but she was scared to go anywhere near the kennel afterwards (and I don't blame her).

I know one guy who used to work as a bagage handler for Continental and he pretty much agreed with my statement. Now granted they are probably better than Delta, but I have heard too many horror stories to even consider putting my dog on a plane.
Amen i will never put any animal on a plane again, losing one pet is bad enough but when you loose two in one trip is horrible . And not even an apology that really stinks and so now mom and i are making them pay for it .

Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I'll be shipping a 6mo pup to Germany on Wednesday.

I've picked up many pups and dogs after there flight across the pond and not one has come out of the create and be stressed from the flight or handling.

Maybe our dogs are just stable.
No, your dogs are normal. I've helped many people ship their pets to Hawaii and deal with their strict Quarantine requirments. 99.5% of the time, the animal is perfectly fine, it's the owner that goes off the deep end. If you ever get to Honolulu Hawaii, do to the Doa Quarantine station at the airport and look at the owners picking up their pets froma flight. The dog is happy to see them, but you would think from the owner's reaction that the dog was lost for 10 years and found amid a pack of rabid jackels. I have seen other travelers get so pissed at the way some pet owners act that they turn around and tell the pet owner to stop the stupidness and grow up.

What I am upset about is based on all the people that claim they had a pet lost, died or injured on a plane, all the airlines should be rich just from pet fees. I mean the way some talk about this, you thnk there are 50 million pets shipped every month, so where's that money in the stocks of airlines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or