U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,195,013 times

Advertisements

Family was en route to Germany at the time. "Nala" escaped during a lay-over connection and ran off the tarmac.

video link:
msnbc.com Video Player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM

288 posts, read 602,840 times
Oh my gosh!! this is just awful!

That poor family must be so worried about their poor dog.

That is terrible!!!

Not a good advert for Delta

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,917 times
That's so sad. This surely isn't something new for Delta...that was mentioned in the video and I remember some years ago the same thing happened in Portland, OR. A thousand dollars reward is not enough. Why can't they make it 10K and then they'd really have a bunch of people trying to find Nala. That is, if they cared enough to find her.

If Delta repacked a precious diamond ring and then 'lost' it, they'd be running to their lawyers to broker a settlement. But, this is "just a dog..."

Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,195,013 times
Another story on Nala: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...112698369.html

Please pass this link below on to any friends/family in the Atlanta area .
Help Find Nala | Facebook

Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
deltas usually very good for pet transport, what i DONt get is how the dog escaped (i cant see the vid) one of the requirments for the crates is that they are either custom made OR for the likes of the plastic kennel cab ones they are SUPPOSED to be heavy duty zip tied shut, top to bottom and the doors zip-tied closed after the vet check.

someone majorly screwed up somewhere!

i hope they find her, she must be terrified!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,090,835 times
I agree, we ship a dozen or more dogs to and from Germany each year. We have been for 17years. We haven't had one proublem other than a customs paperwork proublem.

After the kennel/crate is inspected for contraband or explosives then you put your dog back in the crate, it is weighed and wire-tied shut so the door can not open.

Is is rare they get away or are in a place they can escape from.
I'm more worried about the animal hold loosing pressure and the dogs freezing of suffocating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
deltas usually very good for pet transport, what i DONt get is how the dog escaped (i cant see the vid) one of the requirments for the crates is that they are either custom made OR for the likes of the plastic kennel cab ones they are SUPPOSED to be heavy duty zip tied shut, top to bottom and the doors zip-tied closed after the vet check.

someone majorly screwed up somewhere!

i hope they find her, she must be terrified!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times
Airlines in general are pretty horrible to pets.

When I was relocating to another state, I had my dog shipped on Delta Airlines, and those idiots lost my dog in Atlanta. So my dog was in essense stuck inside a crate for nearly two days without any bathroom breaks, food, or water.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 AM

288 posts, read 602,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

When I was relocating to another state, I had my dog shipped on Delta Airlines, and those idiots lost my dog in Atlanta. So my dog was in essense stuck inside a crate for nearly two days without any bathroom breaks, food, or water.
Oh my Gosh!!! That is appalling

Was your dog ok?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,677,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with your statement that "airlines in general are horrible with pets". Continental is very good with pets and works with many rescues for moving animals around the country to areas where they will have a better chance of being adopted. I've never used Delta, but I have used Continental both with rescue and personally. I have never had a bad experience with them.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM

9,354 posts, read 16,827,643 times
just got this in my email box:

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE]> Hello everyone-
> > I am sorry to tell you that we have lost Nala. She was found yesterday on I-75, dead. There were not extensive injuries-I truly believe that her death was instantainous. She did not suffer. I have sent photographs of her to Alisa who confirms that this dog is indeed Nala. I also photographed the scanner at the vets and the correct number came up. Alisa and Brian thank you so much-through all of this tension you have been so kind and eager to help. Alisa, who had no idea what she would find here, discovered that a whole community was supporting her effort to find her baby dog. She was amazed and touched that people cared about her beloved girl. Alisa's relationship with Nala was strong. Nala was more, actually than her child. She was her protector, her best friend. It went beyond love, they were partners. Nala was her heart dog. When I saw Nala tonight I stroked her all over her body, held her head and told her "Everybody loves you". She was a beautiful, good girl.
>
> >
> > Delta has sent me this to pass on to you all:
> >
> > As partners in this search for Nala, the 8-year-old German Shepherd that escaped her kennel on Dec. 22 from the Atlanta Airport, we wanted to share with you that she unfortunately was found deceased yesterday by a state road crew . A necropsy will be conducted, but it appears that she was hit by a car. I'm certain you share both Delta and Nala's family's sadness in hearing this news, as we were all so hopeful that all of our efforts would have resulted in a better outcome. Delta is continuing to work closely with the family to support them during this difficult time and both wish to extend their sincere appreciation to all of you for your efforts. In particular, Delta believes it was the resourcefulness and dedication of groups like yours that helped to generate so many leads during the search. In gratitude for this assistance, we will be making a $1,000 donation to the Atlanta Pet Rescue in support of their work with homeless, abused, and neglected animals.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or