U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,363 times

Advertisements

My 4 year old pit bull (my baby girl) was just diagnosed with MCT on her back-side. I am going to an oncology vet Monday to discuss surgery and get more details on the severity / grade. I am trying to read everything I can, so I can be sure she gets the best care. Anyone who's dog had MCT surgery have advice? I have been reading a little about diets for doggies with cancer, There is just so much information it is overwhelming and I do not know where to start, Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM

9,580 posts, read 5,774,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabyGirlKhaiah View Post
My 4 year old pit bull (my baby girl) was just diagnosed with MCT on her back-side. I am going to an oncology vet Monday to discuss surgery and get more details on the severity / grade. I am trying to read everything I can, so I can be sure she gets the best care. Anyone who's dog had MCT surgery have advice? I have been reading a little about diets for doggies with cancer, There is just so much information it is overwhelming and I do not know where to start, Thank You!
Sorry to hear about your pup. Our 12 year old, pit mix had a mast cell tumor on her back, above her tail. It looked like a wart but grew larger and eventually bled. It was diagnosed as a mast cell tumor and we had it surgically removed. They have to cut around the tumor so they cut all the way down to her spine. They were able to get it all but they found that it was an aggressive stage 2 (I think it was 2?). The vet told me that she needed to lay down for two weeks after to let it heal. They recommended keeping her in a kennel. The site of her surgery looked horrific when I picked her up from the vet and I felt so awful for her. When I got her home and she calmed down from the stress of her ordeal she was back to her normal self. She healed great. Since she was 12 we opted not to have her tested to see if the cancer had spread. The oncologist recommended daily fish oil supplements and a low carb, high protein diet and no more vaccines. She said that if the cancer had spread we would see signs of it in 6 months. It's been more then 6 months and she has another growth on her belly. It's tiny and we have not checked it out but it's very likely that it's another mast cell tumor. We won't get it removed unless it starts causing her pain, or other issues mainly due to her age.

Sorry that you are dealing with this in your pup. How big is the tumor? I would opt for surgery. You won't know how serious it is until you have had it removed. If you caught it early it's likely that it has not spread and that you can maintain health through diet and no more vaccines.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 AM

708 posts, read 1,237,048 times
My last pug was dx with one on her leg when she was 7. We had it removed...had a scan and it was contained. It was a grade 2 mast cell. We did chemo and she was fine until she was 11.5, where one showed up on the same leg. I decided to leave it cause of her age. I am unsure if I should have and have regrets now. So 5 months later, a tumor (unknown type) showed up in her chest, pushing on her trachea, making it hard for her to breathe.It grew fast and we had to put her down in less than 3 weeks after its diagnosis. It is and will always be unknown if this tumor inside her chest was related to the mast cell on her leg and I think I regret not removing the one on her leg.
My best advice is to fight them all hard and don't give up, no matter the age. BUT, if the dog is uncomfortable and quality of life is compromised, do NOT keep pursuing things.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabyGirlKhaiah View Post
There is a yahoo group for mast cell tumors and it's fantastic. I recommend finding it and joining.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,363 times
Thank you for your responses. It is helpful to hear what others have gone through / are going through. Since my original post, Khaiah has had surgery (almost 2 weeks). It is aggressive Grade 3. She is doing well as far as re-cooperating from surgery, however she recently became incontinent and seems depressed, anxious. She had an allergic reaction that caused her eyes to swell up, went to ER for a steroid injection and that cleared up. We are doing everything to keep her happy and comfortable. Back to the vet on Tuesday for follow-up. I am so terrified and worried, but am keeping my cool as much as possible around Khaiah as I do not want her to pick up on my anxiousness / sadness. Miss Terri - wishing your dog the best. It is so sad these poor doggies have to go through this and not understand what is going on. Jane - I am so so sorry for your loss. It is so difficult making these decisions, and determining what is best for your pup. Thank you for your kind words and advice.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Best wishes to you. IT's a challenging road and unfair. Is your pup on Tagament and Benadryl?

Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 AM

9 posts, read 6,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5527 View Post
My 3 year old Boston Terrier has a mast cell tumor on his hind leg. The vet said these type of dogs carry a high incidence of mast cell tumors, but still he seems young to me to have this. He is going to have surgery to have it removed. My vet explained it to me and I have read all that I can find on this type of illness, but I admit it is somewhat over my head with the medical terminology. Has anyone had their pet diagnosed with this and been okay long term? Thanks
THE CAUSE IS TOO MANY RABIES SHOT CAUSE LUMP AND EVEN CANCER. I STOPPED GIVING MY DOGS RABBIES SHOTS. Check out Dr. Ronald schultz from Wisconsin University, who is the top chief and researcher in the entire country. Current research is proving dogs do not need to be vaccinated every three years. They will have the 7 year requirement soon. The tests take time to prove but the 7 year should be available by the end of 2016. Check out Dr. Ronald Schultz videos with Dr. Beck. Ronald Schultz has several dogs and he does not vaccinate them after the first year and only twice in their life time. ALSO: COMBINATION VACCINES CAUSE PROBLEMS, TOO MUCH TOXIC FOR THE IMMUNE SYSTEM TO HANDLE AT ONE TIME IN A YOUNG DOG WILL AND OFTEN END UP IN CANCER OR AUTO IMMUNE DISORDER . THE RABIES SHOT IS A KILLER. IT WILL OFTEN CAUSE SEIZURES IN DOGS OR CANCER AT THE SITE OF INJECTION. To keep from getting a rabies shot to your dog, ask the Vet for a "Titer Test. This test will show your dogs previous rabies shot is still effective and the dog doesn't need another..

Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 AM

965 posts, read 502,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimireco View Post
THE CAUSE IS TOO MANY RABIES SHOT CAUSE LUMP AND EVEN CANCER. I STOPPED GIVING MY DOGS RABBIES SHOTS. Check out Dr. Ronald schultz from Wisconsin University, who is the top chief and researcher in the entire country. Current research is proving dogs do not need to be vaccinated every three years. They will have the 7 year requirement soon. The tests take time to prove but the 7 year should be available by the end of 2016. Check out Dr. Ronald Schultz videos with Dr. Beck. Ronald Schultz has several dogs and he does not vaccinate them after the first year and only twice in their life time. ALSO: COMBINATION VACCINES CAUSE PROBLEMS, TOO MUCH TOXIC FOR THE IMMUNE SYSTEM TO HANDLE AT ONE TIME IN A YOUNG DOG WILL AND OFTEN END UP IN CANCER OR AUTO IMMUNE DISORDER . THE RABIES SHOT IS A KILLER. IT WILL OFTEN CAUSE SEIZURES IN DOGS OR CANCER AT THE SITE OF INJECTION. To keep from getting a rabies shot to your dog, ask the Vet for a "Titer Test. This test will show your dogs previous rabies shot is still effective and the dog doesn't need another..
Sigh.... Really?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 AM

36,992 posts, read 45,446,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I wanted to post this link with lots of helpful info...will be keeping your Boston in my prayers. I have two myself.

Pet Owner's Crash Course in Canine Mast Cell Tumors
That link was very informative. My grand dog, a Dogo Argentino, has just had two tumors removed and is awaiting the biopsy. This dog is a sweetheart, but she's had one ailment after another her whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or