Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM

72 posts, read 405,146 times

Advertisements

My 3 year old Boston Terrier has a mast cell tumor on his hind leg. The vet said these type of dogs carry a high incidence of mast cell tumors, but still he seems young to me to have this. He is going to have surgery to have it removed. My vet explained it to me and I have read all that I can find on this type of illness, but I admit it is somewhat over my head with the medical terminology. Has anyone had their pet diagnosed with this and been okay long term? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
i don't know anything about this illness and can offer no good advice.....

but AM sending healing thoughts to your little fella.... i know how i would feel if it was one of mine......

Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,683 times
My friends Pitbull is currently going thru this. They just had a few aspirated and are waiting on another surgery I think this week. One is stage 2 and the other I can't remember off the top of my head, but they're not exactly sure what they're going to do right now, but I know she will do all she can to make sure her dog is comfortable and to be able to keep him around.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM

72 posts, read 405,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
My friends Pitbull is currently going thru this. They just had a few aspirated and are waiting on another surgery I think this week. One is stage 2 and the other I can't remember off the top of my head, but they're not exactly sure what they're going to do right now, but I know she will do all she can to make sure her dog is comfortable and to be able to keep him around.
Thanks for the reply. I know there are different stages of tumors, and some are less serious. I hope your friend's dog has the less serious stage. My last Boston Terrier had a brain tumor at age 8 and it proved to be fatal so I am prepared for the worst I guess.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5527 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know there are different stages of tumors, and some are less serious. I hope your friend's dog has the less serious stage. My last Boston Terrier had a brain tumor at age 8 and it proved to be fatal so I am prepared for the worst I guess.
I wish you the best of luck, and do what you feel in your heart is right for your dog.

My friends don't want to lose their dog, and will do everything they can to keep him alive but comfortably. This dog is her baby and I can't even imagine what she is going through right now.

Find a good vet, and do what you have to do!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5527 View Post
Has anyone had their pet diagnosed with this and been okay long term? Thanks
I would think that your vet would be a better source of information than us lay folks, even those of us with a lot of experience. Without knowing the precise type of tumors your dog is experiencing any advise that you get here will be purely conjectural.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,562 times
While ovcatto is 100% correct that the best resource for john5527 is his vet, support in the form of other peoples' personal experiences with MCTs can help him understand and deal with this.

So, FWIW, my experience with MCTs is that my now 10+ y/o Lab/Vizsla mix had a stage 1 MCT removed from just behind her ribcage when she was 5 y/o. The surgeon was able to fully excise the tumor; got clean, wide margins; she had no other treatment. She recovered quickly and has not had a recurrence.

john5527, knowledge is power and strength. If you haven't already, visit some or all of these sites (and there are many others):
LaurieKaplan
Canine Cancer Awareness.org
Pet Cancer Center
CanineCancer _ List
ColoStateVetMed
Charles Loops, DVM - Homeopathic Veterinarian - Cancer Treatment & Supplements (http://www.charlesloopsdvm.com/cancer.html - broken link)
TX A&M OncoSite Home Page (http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/oncology/index.html - broken link)
DogAware.com Health: Cancer in Dogs

And remember, even though this is a very scary time for you and even if the biopsy indicates a higher stage/grade, you can fight it.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
My parents had a dog that had a stage 1MCT and they had it removed and the vet got clean margins. The dog had no other treatment and lived several more years to the age of 14.

My cousin and his wife have an aussie with a more advanced MCT and she got some new treatment a few years ago and is still alive and doing well, she is quite a decorated agility dog and the MCT did not slow her down.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
I wanted to post this link with lots of helpful info...will be keeping your Boston in my prayers. I have two myself.

Pet Owner's Crash Course in Canine Mast Cell Tumors

Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,477 times
My nine y o pit/vizslia mix has had 4 mcts surgecially removed since spring of 2010. Three were grade ones with clean margins. The 4th was a grade 2 with a mitotic index of <1. A mitotic index < than 5 is considered not very aggressive. That was a year ago.The prognosis from the pathology report was fair to guarded. She is on a no grain high antioxidant, organic + raw meat diet +fish oil supplement and an herbal holistict supplement.

A month ago I detected a small growth under rt, rear leg. The vet said it was to small to aspirate but watch it. It appears not to have increased in size. Any suggestions / input would be much appreciated. Should I consider the use of palladia?

Frank

Last edited by fmnamrpm; 04-15-2013 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs