U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,079,882 times

Advertisements

I agree that if this happened at a dog park I wouldn't offer to pay for it, but since it was a friend who was already doing you a favor I would offer to pay for part of the surgery. This is assuming that both parties are in the same boat financially. If the friends who's dog was being petsat didn't have any money and that's why the free petsitting was happening in the first place than it's a different story. In that case I would offer to help in some other way, if I couldn't help financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

417 posts, read 918,765 times
I agree with Mopey...if the friend has the money to help out (even if its just a loan) than I would hope they would..just for the sole fact that it is a friend in need..but with that being said, since it was a play injury, it could have occurred anywhere..a doggie playdate, someone's backyard, the dog park..so the other owner has no blame here. So I guess I am on the fence with this one. If it were me, I would try to help the friend out if possible. Either way I hope the dogsitter's pup is doing ok and either doesn't need the surgery or is able to get it at a lower cost.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,647,029 times
I don't know if there would be an "obligation" to pay but I know if one of my dogs injured someone else's dog, I'd feel a moral obligation to at least offer to pay some of the costs. Maybe I'm old fashion but I was raised that this would be the right and nice thing to do.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
Your dog is injured, you are responsible for the vet bill.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,376,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Your dog is injured, you are responsible for the vet bill.
I agree with this, just curious to see what other think. My PC was injured badly at a licensed/bonded/insured pet sitter's house. As a result of that injury, he needed TPLO surgery which we paid for out of pocket ($4500) late last year. We never pursued the company, even though I'm positive that is why they carry this insurance.

This situation is slightly different, since they are good friends and the "sitter" is not really one, since she's not licensed or anything.

Last edited by MAK802; 01-07-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,176,039 times
I'd offer to help as much as I could. Accidents happen, but if I accidentally break something at a friend's house I'm going to offer to replace it. And the fact they were doing me a favor by babysitting my dog for free, saving me kennel bills would make me feel even more likely to want to help.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 AM

13,782 posts, read 18,694,469 times
Im sorry but I would feel responsible and pay the whole shmoe so to speak . It was my dog therefore my responsibility to take care of the bill just as you would foot the bill for your child if they injured another child due to something silly they did . I think everyone should step up to the plate .
I hope it all works out .

Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
in the case of an obvious accident if i were the one with the injured dog in this case no, i would NOT expect the other person to pay...

i see it the same as going to the dog park...you are accepting responsibil;ity for what can happen to your pet by going and there for aknowledging the risks associated...

it would be different if the dog was agressive and the owner knew it...

but in the case of accidental play related injury, no, i dont feel there should be any obligation...
HOWEVER if i was on the other side (the one whos dog did the injuring) IF i could afford it i would offer to help out on some level...

Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM

1,683 posts, read 4,427,602 times
I would offer to pay at least half the costs. My "kid" hurt their "kid."

However, my sisters and I always state the rules in advance when mixing our pets... The owner of the injured pet pays. With that statement, there is no guessing or wondering later.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM

455 posts, read 1,007,794 times
If I asked a friend to look after my dog and she did for free, lovely. If she brought her dog with her and my dog injured hers, no I wouldn't pay for the vet fees, nor would I let her look after my dog again.

If her dog injured mine, the same would apply I wouldn't not expect her to pay the vet fees but I wouldn't let her look after my dog again.

At the end of the day she accepted responsibility for my dog and chose to bring her own dog along too, basically imo she couldn't cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs