Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

i would think most peoples' home owner's insurance deductible is pretty close to the cost of the surgery, and then their premium goes up. doesn't seem worthwhile - but not a bad idea to check in case they have a lower deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I just can't see ANY home owners insurance paying a vet bill for an injury at the house. I bet they would laugh in your ear on the phone if you even asked. Home owners insurance is for medical liability for people and property loss--not pet bills.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I just can't see ANY home owners insurance paying a vet bill for an injury at the house. I bet they would laugh in your ear on the phone if you even asked. Home owners insurance is for medical liability for people and property loss--not pet bills.
Years ago I still had my horses.

I had a lighting hit that cause them to run into some things and get hurt.

My home owers paid the full bill.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Remember...this was someone else's dog at the home.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
and your dog injured theirs, would you offer to pay some of the medical bills? My friend is currently dog sitting (for free) for a friend. Last night, the dogs were playing and friend's dog ran into hers (Great Dane) at full speed, knocking him down and rupturing the ACL in the process.

They saw a vet today, who said surgery is needed and will cost anywhere from $3500-$4500, depending on which procedure they choose. Friend has no pet insurance, so this sudden expense will be out of pocket. Of course the owner of the other dog isn't liable for anything, but these are good friends. Would you offer to help cover some of the surgery cost?
I would think the dog that caused the tear, the owner should pay all of it. Course, if the "watching" friend had done a better job watching, it may not have happened. Hard one, does homeowners insurance cover this type injury??.....split and save the friendship.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
not so sure. My car was damaged and the other person's home owners paid it. Worth asking.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
dogs are considered "property" so officially home owners insurance should pay out...
but my opinion is, dogs play, they fight and like wiht kids accidents can happen (unless were planning on wrapping everyone in bubble wrap)
as long as this was a case of "accident" and not flat out neglect then i wouldnt expect the watcher to be responisble...
by placing your dog in the home of someone with their own dog you accept that dogs play and accidents happen.
if this was a PAID situation however, then id expect some kind of reinbursment...

and yes, homeownrs insurance will pay out if a claim is filled, this is why good pet sitters get seperate insurance policies to protect themselves in these kind sof situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs