U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM

417 posts, read 485,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
May I ask what breed Sydney is ? I know mak has a pc who is a bulldog . I have two chihuahuas and everyone wants to pet them cause they are tiny and they want to take pics which I dont mind at all but please ask first is my motto and my rule . and does it make a difference what breed they are that people want to pet them ?
Sydney is an Australian Shepherd mix..supposedly with Mountain Cur..but I think he must have something else in him too considering his ears are like that of a husky or GSD but he's got the tail of Shiba Inu..who knows.. And I think breed definitely does effect it. He's unique looking which I think draws more people's attention. He's also a prancer..he doesn't walk..he prances..which I think makes people want to love him more . I for one have SUCH a soft spot for Aussies so I'm drawn to them more when out..but I would never approach someone's dog without asking first. Here he is when he was a baby:

And LTTP- yes, from your stories I think they must be related...100% girly boy
And MAK- I think they'd get along great too! Maybe when I EVENTUALLY move to Cali and get out of this snow..someday..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 PM

417 posts, read 485,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I always ask first if someones dog/dogs can be petted. Sometimes when someone reaches out to pet a doggie if uninvited can trigger a defense in the dog. Some dogs like people just don't like to be touched. My pups are kind of in training while they are socialized I am trying to teach them to be a bit less jumpy, huggy, kissy. I do wish people would ask before they reach out to pet them so I can train them properly. Unfortunately people want to pet them and all training goes out the window in a split second.
I completely agree with this. That was the one thing that drove me nuts when we were training Sydney. I would tell people, "he's in obedience class so please walk away if he jumps on you" and nobody ever listened..they'd say,"Oh I don't mind if he jumps on me, he's only a puppy." Well, I mind..That made training 10x harder

Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM

5,046 posts, read 8,338,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
That was the one thing that drove me nuts when we were training Sydney. I would tell people, "he's in obedience class so please walk away if he jumps on you" and nobody ever listened..they'd say,"Oh I don't mind if he jumps on me, he's only a puppy." Well, I mind..That made training 10x harder
OMG, this drives me CRAZY! Meatball doesn't listen EVER, he's seriously the most stubborn dog I have ever had. No amount of obedience training (we tried 2 different places) will ever help him, even the instructor gave up on him. I would love to meet his previous owners to find out exactly what they did to make him like this.

He jumps on every single person we meet. Every one of them, kids included. It drives us crazy and he never listens when we scream at him. And many people tell us exactly what you were told, that they don't mind! Well, we do mind. He won't do it to us, so we can't do much unless they are willing to not pet him/give attention until he sits. The only person unwilling to put up with it is PC's breeder, who set MB straight the first time he jumped on him...I wish he'd come over more often!

It's gotten to a point where our guests in our house were not comfortable because MB would jump on them every chance he got, making them spill their food/drinks. We now lock him in his crate for the duration of the guests being here, it's the only thing that works. You can't behave when I tell you to stop, you're not coming out. I'm sick and tired of yelling at a dog when I should be entertaining guests.

Funny story, a neighbor (we live in an 8 unit condo complex) was walking by our door one night, when it was dark. I had PC on a leash, ready to go out to pee. As I opened the door, PC got startled by the neighbor (who had a vacuum in his hands) and barked. MB, in true dumb dog fashion, sneaked past me and PC and ran at the guy.

So imagine you're the guy, you hear a bark, then a dog lunging at you (MB just wanted to be pet, but the guy didn't know that). He doesn't know my boys, so he freaked and beat the crap out of MB with the full-size vacuum! I didn't blame him one bit, because a strange dog was "attacking" him, so he defended himself. You would think that would have taught him a lesson, but nope he still does it.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 8,100,060 times
now you can see why eveyone wants to touch them the brown and white is the girl and the solid brown is the boy and he loves everybody .
Attached Thumbnails
Strangers and your dog?-my-pics-various-153.jpg  

Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM

6,123 posts, read 9,089,438 times
i have chinese cresteds, they definatly are attention grabbers, i get about 1/2 the people who arnt sure if they want to even consider touching them (i had one woman tell her kid she couldnt pet my dog because he had mange...if they wenrt being snotty, and the kid not been a spoilt bratty grabby child i would have corrected them...just because hes got no hair...doesnt mean hes sick lol)
then theres the other crowd who want to pick them up...my dongs dont enjoy being picked up by me, they like their feet on the ground...so a strange picking them up...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM

8,039 posts, read 2,501,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
I completely agree with this. That was the one thing that drove me nuts when we were training Sydney. I would tell people, "he's in obedience class so please walk away if he jumps on you" and nobody ever listened..they'd say,"Oh I don't mind if he jumps on me, he's only a puppy." Well, I mind..That made training 10x harder
Oh how I can relate I get the same thing just irritates me no end.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,028,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I agree with foxywench. I would never and have never left my dog tied up to anything while I went into a store. I'm more than willing to bet, I'd come back to no dog there, they are a very commonly stolen breed here.

I can't walk down the street without having people walk up to, pet and take pictures of my dogs (those on this forum that met me and my boys can attest to that!), it gets really annoying after a while! Some nights, our 45 minute beach walk turns into 2 hours because people will not leave us alone. So yea, I prefer they ask (most don't and let their kids come up to my dogs without asking), but I'd never leave them tied to anything without me being right there. And it makes it 1000x worse because both are very friendly and do the crooked when strangers approach, expecting every human they pass to pet them.

Mak is so right as Bulldogs are people magnets! Walking my brothers two is the same way as everyone has to meet them and they of course love that which makes them light up and attract more attention. My dad and I went out to dinner with my brother and sister in law and the bulldogs and ate at place at a shopping center where we sat on the patio and they were tied to the fence that enclosed the patio . They were right at our table just on the other side of the fence and not one person could pass them without stopping and talking to them or taking photos but I will say most did ask if it was OK to touch them. It was great dinner entertainment and it was Free! The dogs had such a great time too.

My own Dazzle attracts tons of people too as he is a rare breed ( silkenwind hound, very beautiful and elegant) and the only one in town so everyone stops to meet him and that huge grin he gives them makes them want to cuddle him. I have more trouble with people not asking as he just has such a sweet appeal to him so they just reach out to touch. It takes us hours if I take him to the art walk along the beach on Sundays as everyone wants to say hello to him and he eats it all up!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,615,720 times
I had no problem with people stopping me to talk to Sam and pet him. I would never leave Sam tied up anywhere alone...He usually liked everyone, but one time he did not like a UPS man who came to our home, only my Grandmother and daughter were home, so I guess he thought that no men should come in. He growled so much the guy would not bring in the boxes. And Sam was not a growler...

Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,028,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
On a side note, one time I was at a gas station, and had Rudy waiting in the car with a window cracked... this guy filling his tank started flirting with me, and he seemed fairly nice, so I stood there and chatted with him for a minute. He then saw Rudy in the car, and approached to say hi - Rudy immediately growled at him, which he NEVER does to humans. I knew right then & there, this man was not getting my phone number. They make good jerk barometers sometimes!
Lots of dogs feel defensive in the confined space of a closed car. I don't think it was a reflection on the guy, except for his foolishness at trying to pet a dog who doesn't know him through a crack in a car window.
As for the original question, I don't think the owner should object to your patting their dog, since they are basically asking for that to happen by leaving it there alone. I'd pay REAL close attention to that dog's body language, though. Some dog owners don't use good judgement about what situations their dog is right for.[/quote]

Gee last year when Dazzle and I made our road trip up to Oregon we got Gas and unlike California you are not allowed to pump your own gas he guy saw Dazzle in the back of the car as he was filling my tank and asked is it Ok if I give your dog a dog bone? He went to a box of dog bones and got one...I tell you at that moment Dazzle would have sold me to that man all for a treat! He is not a good jerk barometer!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 8,938,306 times
but i bet queen jazz was......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs