Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We should go for a walk, me with my boys and you with your brother's dogs! Imagine that scene!

We bring PC with us to restaurants all the time since they allow dogs in most places (MB doesn't know how to behave in public, so after 3 tries we leave him at home). People stop all the time and interrupt our meal. At first, we didn't mind, but since we go so often it gets annoying. I think PC senses my annoyance so he just lays on the ground, not reacting to their attention after a while!

I can imagine that scene of 4 bullies walking together! We would need security for crowd control.

My brother and his wife often take the dogs to dinner and they seem ok with it as I think when they go they know what it will be like so just view it as a dinner show and the dogs go home so happy. But I myself would find it annoying after awhile too but if I was in the people watching mood I would see it as entertainment as most of the people that night were just too funny! A group of rather tough looking boys ( late teens) stopped to look at them and soon were talking baby talk to them, I thought I was going to pee in my pants I was laughing so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
One scary time for me was when we were at the pet store...I happened to be looking at something on a shelf and when I looked back down at my dog (8 year-old rough collie - Lassie lookalike), some 4 year old had grabbed her face and was massaging her skin back and grabbing her ears. I was like, "Oh sh*t! Here comes the lawsuit!" But my dog has never growled at a kid and she sat there with this half-pleased/half-tolerant expression on her face.

Seriously, though...what kind of a parent lets their (obviously NOT well-behaved) 4 year old run around a store petting strange dogs?!!! If something had gone bad, it would have been my dog that was blamed, not the stupid kid or her even more stupid parents.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
my thoughts exactly...

i tell people all the time...
its Not my dogs i dont trust...its other people!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
One scary time for me was when we were at the pet store...I happened to be looking at something on a shelf and when I looked back down at my dog (8 year-old rough collie - Lassie lookalike), some 4 year old had grabbed her face and was massaging her skin back and grabbing her ears. I was like, "Oh sh*t! Here comes the lawsuit!" But my dog has never growled at a kid and she sat there with this half-pleased/half-tolerant expression on her face.

Seriously, though...what kind of a parent lets their (obviously NOT well-behaved) 4 year old run around a store petting strange dogs?!!! If something had gone bad, it would have been my dog that was blamed, not the stupid kid or her even more stupid parents.
You said it right there in the last part stupid kid being raised by stupid parents . I told one woman whose kid insisted on petting my chihuahua , do you always let your children pet strange dogs w/o asking ? her reply was "do you always bring a vicious dog into a pet store ?" LOL . My chihuahua is no way vicious but if approached wrong she will bark and her hair will go up , but she did not with this kid for some reason . I wanted so bad to call that woman stupid .

Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You said it right there in the last part stupid kid being raised by stupid parents . I told one woman whose kid insisted on petting my chihuahua , do you always let your children pet strange dogs w/o asking ? her reply was "do you always bring a vicious dog into a pet store ?" LOL . My chihuahua is no way vicious but if approached wrong she will bark and her hair will go up , but she did not with this kid for some reason . I wanted so bad to call that woman stupid .
If my dog had bit this kid, she would have been taken away and possibly put to sleep.

Now my dogs have never bitten or even threatened to bite anyone in their lives...the idea that someone else's stupid actions could threaten my dogs' life makes me angry and ill at the same time.

So obviously, I am now extremely cautious when I take them anywhere...a split second of looking up at a shelf could cost your dog's life.

The stupid lady from your story obviously knows nothing about dogs...any dog in pain or scared can act out...their faces and teeth are the only way they know how.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

The same parent that lets their toddler grab my Bulldog's head and shove their face in my dog's face. These people are so lucky my dogs are so friendly and love kids! When that happened, I was walking them near the beach and while I bent over for a second to pick up poop, a toddler walked up to my other one and did that.

I must have looked horrified because the mom said, "It's ok, we have one back home, she just loves Bulldogs!" Um, no not ok. How are you so positive mine like kids? I feel the same as you, I would have been blamed, not the parent who clearly encourages child to approach strange dogs!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
I think generally speaking, no one should be leaving their pets tied someplace unattended. And people wanting to pet a dog should always ask an owner first. I just think of dogs that are out in public because someone is trying to socialize them, and someone comes along and shoots a hand out to pet them and scares the dog and they get bit and the dog is blamed.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
Ha ha! I am still working on human guy commands!! I do always ask when/if I see a dog I'd like to pet. Especially working dogs, I work in a hospital so I see alot of dogs that they bring in to comfort patients. But I do always ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Good way to flirt with the officer yet you could only get the dog to lay down beside you and not the officer to do so????? Bummer!

The security officers at the hospital I work with is forever having to tell people they can not pet the security dog as he is working.Most of the employees know to ask first as when he is not working you can hug and smooch him and he just eats up the attention!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,368 times
NO I am not ok with people petting my dog without asking. In fact, nothing ticks me off more than when someone (adult or kid) just comes right up an goes to pet my dog without so much as a by-your-leave. I no longer allow anyone to pet my dog, because I have had so many bad encounters. Mostly with kids, apparently deaf and dumb kids, who don't seem to be able to understand simple phrases such as "One at a time" "Don't grab her tail" "Please don't hug her" and "She's not a pony!" Ect... I really don't care if people think I'm a grump when I say "Sorry, she dosen't like being pet." or "Please keep your children away from my dog.". It's just not worth it to put my dog in possibly uncomfortable situations for the pleasure of strangers.

I have a five year old, and I have driven the point home with her- ALWAYS ask BEFORE petting a strange dog, and NEVER approach/pet a strange dog unless myself or my dh is with her (even if the dog's owner says it's ok). Myself, I don't really ever want to stop and pet someone else's dog, but if I do I always ask first.

::sigh:: I hate the whole I'm-entitled-to-pet-your-dog-because-it's-cute mentality.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM

609 posts, read 1,259,962 times
i would never leave my dog tied to anything outside a store or coffee shop, or wherever. it actually pisses me off that people do that. but i dont at all mind strangers petting my dog, and he happily welcomes it. i think its always wise to ask though just in case...because not all dogs like other people...you never know what their behavior is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs