Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

What toys do dogs really like?

There are only two toys I have that the dog uses:
AKC chipmunk dog toy
Kong Toy - for obvious reasons (food stuffed into it)

I want him to use that Rope toy but he has no interest. When in the yard, he chews up little twigs and small branches. He was chewing up a potted plant plastic planter that my mother discarded. He was about to chew a mechanical pencil.

I would like him to chew toys not potentially hazardous stuff. Should I rub peanut butter on the rope toy or something?

I would like to know if he can distinguish between his stuffed toys and my daughter's stuffed animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
My dog - a dachshund - totally destroys stuffed toys. He works at them for days if that is what it takes in order to remove the squeaker and all of their stuffing, leaving just a "pelt" as evidence. When he is in the process of eviscerating a toy he'll even drag it outside with him on a walk so that no one will interrupt his destruction. Oddly, though, he has never, ever destroyed one of my daughter's stuffed toys. How he knows the difference, I have no idea. Strange!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
The stuffed toy's - stuffed animals he will think all are toy's actually I use stuffed toy's no beads for my dogs to chew and play with..

Rope toy take away reintroduce later. They will always love certain toys mine all like this thing looks like a jack got at petco that squeaks went through 4 in 3 years as they rip em up.

Socks are another non play toy have my stud they used em as play toys well if socks left laying around they chewed up, I have used pop bottles with cover for them to play with,push around and toss with teeth.

Tennis balls are good and can play fetch with.

Just try different toys and rotate them out and will get a few really like and others that may play with here and there just do not give to many at one time.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I pretend to chew on the toys myself and say out loud how great they are.............

"Oh, I looooove this dog bone! this is the best dog bone, I'm so glad it's all mine....."

Inevitably someone will come along and "steal" it from me .

Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I pretend to chew on the toys myself and say out loud how great they are.............

"Oh, I looooove this dog bone! this is the best dog bone, I'm so glad it's all mine....."

Yep that what I would do. If you want your dog to play with the rope toy. I would toss it in the air,swing it around, throw it and get it.... Your dog might be interested in then.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

I think that's awesome and very funny.
Can we see a video of this?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I think that's awesome and very funny.
Can we see a video of this?

Yeah, that and me chanting* "potty-potty-potty-potty-potty......." while the new dog does her "business" would be very amusing !

(To teach them the word "potty", I chant the word quietly while the dog is in the act. Later, the dog makes the connection between the word and the action when I request for them to "go potty" )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs