U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 PM

5,474 posts, read 6,167,044 times

Advertisements

My beagle was 14 in August and she has several fatty lipomas. One, near her front leg is particularly large and solid, leading my vet to think that it is under muscle tissue. However, he says that it does not impede her walking. Now I think it might. She has arthritis, but she is particularly weak on the leg where the lipoma is and I don't think it is a coincidence. He says that the lipoma doesn't enter her armpit area.

Of course I'm not a doctor, merely a paranoid dog owner.

He doesn't recommend surgery and in any case, he wouldn't do the surgery that she would need, if it was removed. I don't want to cause her unnecessary pain, and I certainly don't want surgery if it can possibly be avoided but I can't quite rid myself of the feeling that the lipoma is interfering with her walking.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it better to just leave it rather than potentially put her through surgery to remove it? Both vets at the clinic said she was fine. I could see a third vet at a totally new clinic but I guess I am afraid of getting a vet whom I don't know, and who might be so interested in his fee that he might recommend surgery when it might be better to leave it.

My current vet I've had for 20 years. I do trust him - I just think he might be wrong about this.

Fretting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 AM

3,583 posts, read 10,218,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My beagle was 14 in August and she has several fatty lipomas. One, near her front leg is particularly large and solid, leading my vet to think that it is under muscle tissue. However, he says that it does not impede her walking. Now I think it might. She has arthritis, but she is particularly weak on the leg where the lipoma is and I don't think it is a coincidence. He says that the lipoma doesn't enter her armpit area.

Of course I'm not a doctor, merely a paranoid dog owner.

He doesn't recommend surgery and in any case, he wouldn't do the surgery that she would need, if it was removed. I don't want to cause her unnecessary pain, and I certainly don't want surgery if it can possibly be avoided but I can't quite rid myself of the feeling that the lipoma is interfering with her walking.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it better to just leave it rather than potentially put her through surgery to remove it? Both vets at the clinic said she was fine. I could see a third vet at a totally new clinic but I guess I am afraid of getting a vet whom I don't know, and who might be so interested in his fee that he might recommend surgery when it might be better to leave it.

My current vet I've had for 20 years. I do trust him - I just think he might be wrong about this.

Fretting....
Ah the joys of getting old! For us humans, its liver spots that pop up overnight and evreywhere. For dogs, its fatty tumors. It sounds as if your vet has a very good grasp on the situation. Normally, a fatty tumor will not impeed mobility. If it is really bothering you, I suggest you speak with your vet about aspirating the tumor so he can look at the cells under the microscope. Hopefully that will give you some piece of mind. None of us could ever know your dog as you and your vet do. If you trust his judgement then you should probably also feel comfotable enough to talk to him about this. Talk to your vet! a good one will make time to hear you and help to reassure you as well. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,420,602 times
Your vet is wise to refuse to do surgery on a 14 year old dog. The risk of death while under anesthesia is too great. As long as the dog can walk I would leave it alone.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,149,259 times
At 14 I would not want to put my dog through unnecessary surgery. Fatty tumors are very common in older dogs. When I was grooming there were several older dogs that came in with these tumors and not one showed any signs of them causing any discomfort or pain. If your really concerned then as mentioned have it aspirated for your own peace of mind.

I would be more concerned about the arthritis and finding some relief for that since that will be the cause of your dog being in pain.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Okay, thanks. I won't worry any more. My vet has aspirated the lipomas - but recently I have run across several dog owners who had lipomas far smaller than my dog's removed and they were starting to freak me out, as to why my vet would not recommend removing them, but their vets were.

I started thinking that I should have insisted something should be done years ago, when the lipomas started, and when she was younger.

I definitely don't want her to have any unnecessary surgery.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 PM

3,583 posts, read 10,218,348 times
Quote:
Okay, thanks. I won't worry any more. My vet has aspirated the lipomas - but recently I have run across several dog owners who had lipomas far smaller than my dog's removed and they were starting to freak me out, as to why my vet would not recommend removing them, but their vets were.

I started thinking that I should have insisted something should be done years ago, when the lipomas started, and when she was younger.

I definitely don't want her to have any unnecessary surgery.
They are not painful and I would think that your vet feels that the risk of anesthesia is too great for what would basically be a cosmetic surgery.

Just think of them as "doggie cellulite" and part of the aging process. I've never met an oldster that didn't develop them to some level.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I would be more concerned about the arthritis and finding some relief for that since that will be the cause of your dog being in pain.

Thanks. In my previous post, I forgot to mention that Luba is on medication for her arthritis - and I'm still working on her diet as she definitely needs to lose weight. My husband keeps sabotaging her diet and I have to keep as much an eye on my husband as I do on Luba. But she did lose one pound in a ten-day period (had all the dogs at the vets for shots against ear mites they picked up from the cat).

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,931,195 times
my 11 yr old lab who passed away this fall had tons of lipomas, literally a dozen easily. None really in anyplace that really hindered her though. I would agree with the other posters though, surgery on a 14 yr old dog is not something I'd do.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,782,112 times
Quote:
Thanks. In my previous post, I forgot to mention that Luba is on medication for her arthritis - and I'm still working on her diet as she definitely needs to lose weight. My husband keeps sabotaging her diet and I have to keep as much an eye on my husband as I do on Luba. But she did lose one pound in a ten-day period (had all the dogs at the vets for shots against ear mites they picked up from the cat).
As you dog loses weight you will probably notice that the lipoma gets smaller too.

Explain to your husband that it is cruel to sabatoge the dogs diet as it is a slow death. He is literally loving her to death by overfeeding. Give low fat treats like pieces of carrot or sweet potato.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
As you dog loses weight you will probably notice that the lipoma gets smaller too.

Explain to your husband that it is cruel to sabatoge the dogs diet as it is a slow death. He is literally loving her to death by overfeeding. Give low fat treats like pieces of carrot or sweet potato.
I've explained that to hubby more times than I can count. I think part of the problem is that hubby treats his own health no better (he's had a quadruple by-pass and many other health issues, and he's over weight himself). Whatever I say, he will agree and then just continue doing what he is doing anyway. We have very different dog-handling philosophies. I would put him in the category of the self-described dog-lovers who have no clue how much harm they are doing to the dogs they say they love.

The dogs actually show no respect for him - ie, when he gives them a command, they don't listen because he doesn't mean it. When I do, it's a different story. He just talks - but "Mom" means it.

And I am worried since my dogs are all getting older, with my female GSD turning 10, and my beagle over 14, and hubby in very poor health (he is also quite a bit older than I am), and since we weren't able to have children, that's my family, and I fear losing all my family within a very short period of time.

I had wondered whether the lipoma would get smaller if she lost weight - I hadn't seen any information on that on the internet. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or