U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times

Advertisements

lol, weve always caled them wowies because they never fail to make you say "wow" there one of those breeds that you expect to be one way, so they are frequently suprising new owners lol.

oh yeah 8" on the ground will definatly agrivate joint issues...
poor hubby, i hope it warms up soon for you guys so hes not in pain...i have a similar issue with my ankle and weve got an additional 2ft of snow on the ground right now (ontop of a couple ft from earlier this month lol) and my ankle is screaming at me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Oh no! Poor Copper! Is he feeling any better today??

Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
Well, Copper not only has luxating patellas but he said when he manipulates them back into place they immediately slide back over. He's compensated for it by standing funny which I've never really noticed. Just figured it's how he stands. He agreed that because he's always been so incredibly active and this started when the weather got bad that it is probably irritating it. He doesn't want to rush into surgery especially since it's both legs. He's on baby aspirin for pain for now and we'll see how it goes when it warms up some.

Aside from that he said he thinks the MalOtic is clearing up his ear infection and another couple days he thinks it'll be fine. Other than that, he's healthy as can be though he could stand to lose a pound. Can't we all......

I also took in Corbin, the very old poodle that was surrendered to us a while back. We've had him about 3 weeks now and he's not gaining weight at all. Considering he was so very emaciated when we got him it's had us worried. He's also still on daily stool softener. I've taken him off one day a week to see if he still needs it and he does. That bothered me.

He had an ear infection I'd been treating but I thought his ear canal seemed to swollen for much meds to be getting down in there. I'd been holding off on a full visit until we got some weight on him and saw some improvement. But at this point I was worried, so he went along.

He's my problem child.

He has a heart murmur, cataracts, severe ear infection that they think he's had a long time, ear canals were full of fur not tissues which is good but it just about broke my heart listening to him cry as they plucked it out, arthritis, muscle atrophy and his emaciation is very severe. He weighs 3.7 pounds and should be more than double that.

His heartworm test and intestinal parasite test were both negative, so that was good. He wants to get rid of the ear infection and keep pumping him full of as much food as we can and see where we are in a month. If he's still not gained weight he's doing blood work. He's worried that if they starved him for a long time it could be causing his organs to shut down. So with him we're holding, hoping he gains weight. Will keep you updated though!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:08 PM

16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Well, Copper not only has luxating patellas but he said when he manipulates them back into place they immediately slide back over. He's compensated for it by standing funny which I've never really noticed. Just figured it's how he stands. He agreed that because he's always been so incredibly active and this started when the weather got bad that it is probably irritating it. He doesn't want to rush into surgery especially since it's both legs. He's on baby aspirin for pain for now and we'll see how it goes when it warms up some.

Aside from that he said he thinks the MalOtic is clearing up his ear infection and another couple days he thinks it'll be fine. Other than that, he's healthy as can be though he could stand to lose a pound. Can't we all......

I also took in Corbin, the very old poodle that was surrendered to us a while back. We've had him about 3 weeks now and he's not gaining weight at all. Considering he was so very emaciated when we got him it's had us worried. He's also still on daily stool softener. I've taken him off one day a week to see if he still needs it and he does. That bothered me.

He had an ear infection I'd been treating but I thought his ear canal seemed to swollen for much meds to be getting down in there. I'd been holding off on a full visit until we got some weight on him and saw some improvement. But at this point I was worried, so he went along.

He's my problem child.

He has a heart murmur, cataracts, severe ear infection that they think he's had a long time, ear canals were full of fur not tissues which is good but it just about broke my heart listening to him cry as they plucked it out, arthritis, muscle atrophy and his emaciation is very severe. He weighs 3.7 pounds and should be more than double that.

His heartworm test and intestinal parasite test were both negative, so that was good. He wants to get rid of the ear infection and keep pumping him full of as much food as we can and see where we are in a month. If he's still not gained weight he's doing blood work. He's worried that if they starved him for a long time it could be causing his organs to shut down. So with him we're holding, hoping he gains weight. Will keep you updated though!
Not great news in either case. At least they live in a house filled with love. Sigh...

Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM

well yay on it being only patella luxation and an ear infection rather than somehting much worse/harder to figure out/more involved...
the baby asprin should help great and hopefully itll ease up as the weather improves as to avoid surgery...
i know its hard but avoiding letting him jump on/off couches/beds and up and down stairs will help too, though its often impossible to keep them from jumping around lol.

on the corbin front, thank goodness you found him!
he sounds like hes definatly got a good case of the needies, but at least hes negative for parisites (especially heartworm) the heart murmur as long as its relitvly mild shouldnt cause too many issues, and suprisingly neither will the cataracts (blind dogs learn to get around very well lol)

hopefully now hes had the hair removed that'll help clear up the ear infection, of course along with meds, try and get as much airflow around the area as possible (again hard i know given hes a poodle and they have floppy ears...

in terms of his weight you could try satin balls, if they dont put the weight on, nothign will...id go with ground chicken or turkey instead of the normal beef recipie to be milder on the tummy...start small a nibble to start. ive used them in alot of great dane and boxer emaciation cases.
poor old guy, at least hes in a nice warm obviously caring home.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
Thanks all!

Keeping Copper from jumping is ................. *sigh* not easy to say the least. He doesn't understand that jumping on and off furniture is making it worse and I won't crate him. I'd rather do the surgery and crate him while he heals from that. So we keep as close an eye on him as we can.

Poor Corbin, now re-named Gizmo, is definitely a mess. Luckily all small things that should be easily corrected or things he'll live with and not have problems. The heart murmur is a level one of six, very mild. We had a pom that had a level five of six and the vet said he's seen dogs with that level live quite a few years and to not worry. So I'm not worried about it. We've had blind dogs before too, so no biggie there.

My concern is for the blood work if he needs it. I know it's stupid to worry now about something we won't even have an idea on for a month, but I am.

I've always used Natural Balance rolled food in combination with a wet / dry mix puppy food and 24 hr access to dry puppy food. It's worked wonders with other dogs so I've never bothered with satin balls. But now that you say that I think I'll try it. Giz loves chicken like crazy but hates the NB. Not real fond of canned food either. He's a difficult one to put weight on, just eating plain dry food.

That's about it. He's curled up in the recliner right now waiting for daddy to come back to the room. He wants nothing at all to do with me now that we're home from the vet. Not sure how long that's going to last, but apparently I'm in big trouble! LOL

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM

poodles are very sensitive and can hold grudges, but it typically doesnt last too long, lol, he'll get over it and be your bestestest buddy again soon :P

sounds like youve got it all in hand, again they couldnt be inbetter hands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs