U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 AM

16,648 posts, read 26,615,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Bandit loved the snow we got on Monday, but then Monday night it started to sleet and drizzle freezing rain. Everything was coated by a layer of ice, and that crust has built up to some considerable thickness through all the melting and re-freezing. Now he's absolutely traumatized! He's 9 and his hips and joints aren't what they used to be, and he's become really afraid of slipping and splaying his hips open, so he's having a hard time with the ice. (And bless his heart, he won't walk behind me in the trail I've tromped for him, and for some reason the only places he likes to poop are in the bushes...where the ice-crust is unbroken.) He's ready for it to melt and go away, I think.
The ice is my biggest fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
That's a lot of snow! I love how Artie's tail stands up like that. He is very cute, as are his lab friends.

I did post about MAK's camera. I know she is a great photographer, what I was interested in was the action shots. I feel like I go to shoot the picture and by the time it takes the picture it's 2 minutes later, so I was curious about the kind of camera she uses. I don't think anyone can deny she's a skilled photographer.
I figured that if the snow got much higher, we could use Artie's tail as an antenna in order to find him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,955,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The ice is my biggest fear.

I figured that if the snow got much higher, we could use Artie's tail as an antenna in order to find him.
You could put a solar powered blinking light on the end of his tail.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
You could put a solar powered blinking light on the end of his tail.
Or I could retrofit him into a heat-seaking missile so that he could plow all the snow while melting it.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,955,878 times
Quote:
Or I could retrofit him into a heat-seaking missile so that he could plow all the snow while melting it.
Well there ya go then. That could be a little money maker

Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Bandit loved the snow we got on Monday, but then Monday night it started to sleet and drizzle freezing rain. Everything was coated by a layer of ice, and that crust has built up to some considerable thickness through all the melting and re-freezing. Now he's absolutely traumatized! He's 9 and his hips and joints aren't what they used to be, and he's become really afraid of slipping and splaying his hips open, so he's having a hard time with the ice. (And bless his heart, he won't walk behind me in the trail I've tromped for him, and for some reason the only places he likes to poop are in the bushes...where the ice-crust is unbroken.) He's ready for it to melt and go away, I think.
When the show is super high and/or the top is iced over from sleet, we shovel paths in the yard and crack the ice tops to clear out a 10' x 10' area in the center of the yard with various paths going through the yard.

With my lab having trouble with his joints this year, I will probably use some of that pet-friendly ice melt 'salt' even in our grass areas to help create a safe place for him to do his business.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When the show is super high and/or the top is iced over from sleet, we shovel paths in the yard and crack the ice tops to clear out a 10' x 10' area in the center of the yard with various paths going through the yard.

With my lab having trouble with his joints this year, I will probably use some of that pet-friendly ice melt 'salt' even in our grass areas to help create a safe place for him to do his business.

i got a jug of that from petco a few weeks ago to use on the steps from the yard to the deck..... its pricey, but it works VERY well and in very small amounts.... i REALLY don't want bailey slipping while she is coming up or going down.... dave already has .... one day while trying to RUN up the steps .... he looked like a fawn on an ice rink..... ... he was FINE, just a bit surprised.....

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
Great pictures! Artie looks like he's having a blast with his buddies!!

MAK, hubby says he thinks PC needs a new razor. He feels like doing that when he gets razor burn from shaving his face! LOL

Dogs plus snow equals freaking adorable!!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Great pictures! Artie looks like he's having a blast with his buddies!!

MAK, hubby says he thinks PC needs a new razor. He feels like doing that when he gets razor burn from shaving his face! LOL

Dogs plus snow equals freaking adorable!!
Thanks, Ronni! They definitely had a terrific time.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
I wonder who gave you that idea!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I wonder who gave you that idea!
I thought it was my idea. Was it yours??? Sorry if I stole your brilliance -- we either share a brain or I totally robbed you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or