Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
The furminator arrived!! And I'm in love...seriously if I could be in love with a grooming tool, the furminator would be it. We furminated him in the bathroom but honestly it was such an easy clean up, I could have done it anywhere. And he loved it...he was just sitting there with his tongue hanging out, smiling and any time I stopped..he'd turn and look at me, like "Hey lady, who told you that you could stop?!" but all in all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - just wait...from now on, every time he sees it he will be happy dancing. Seriously, I think it has addictive properties for dogs. Mine literally line up when I pull it out of the doggie drawer. Have fun! Makes grooming a relaxing experience for everyone in our house.

ok ... sounds like i better get started on bailey now....

question though .... dave has a light "lab" coat, and isn't shedding a whole lot at the moment.... is the furminator good for his coat too??

i can see how it would be AWESOME for a dog like bailey ... she has very dense under and outer coats.... but i wonder if it would be too much on dave with his much much lighter coat.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,314 times
I know my mom uses it on their lab all the time and loves it but they also have a pug/boxer/pit mix that has a really short, light coat and it does nothing for her. From the pictures I've seen of Dave though, his coat looks a bit longer so I think it would work on him

Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
ok ... sounds like i better get started on bailey now....

question though .... dave has a light "lab" coat, and isn't shedding a whole lot at the moment.... is the furminator good for his coat too??

i can see how it would be AWESOME for a dog like bailey ... she has very dense under and outer coats.... but i wonder if it would be too much on dave with his much much lighter coat.....
Its great for Labs! It even works on our Sammie. She is single coated with very short hair but is shedding like crazy right now. It definately keeps the doggie tumble weeds from rolling around the house!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
I love our furminator worth ever penny.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
How is the furminator better then an undercoat rake?
I use an undercoat rake, $6 in most stores and the thing gets tons of hair off my Border Collie Mix and my Pyrenees. Both shed like monsters and it works great on them.
Does the furminator gets more hair off in a shorter time? I have to rake them both for a good 15-20 mins and can make a small dog out of either piles of hair

Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
How is the furminator better then an undercoat rake?
I use an undercoat rake, $6 in most stores and the thing gets tons of hair off my Border Collie Mix and my Pyrenees. Both shed like monsters and it works great on them.
Does the furminator gets more hair off in a shorter time? I have to rake them both for a good 15-20 mins and can make a small dog out of either piles of hair
Most undercoat rakes or shedding combs I've seen have a longer teeth length and a wider gap between the teeth than a Furminator.

I've used just about every method of shed control that has ever been thought of including an unfortunate experiment with a vacuum attachment (it sounded good at the time). I've never found a shedding comb or rake that works as well as a furminator. The teeth are very short so you don't risk creating mats as can happen with a shedding comb.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
So Sydney's shedding has gotten out of control. He sleeps on our bed with us (which will not change) and its not fun pulling hair out of your mouth every few minutes so now I need something to get his shedding under control a bit. I lint brush the bed every day and I already have that Kong tool (it kind of looks like a curry comb) that loosens up the hair then I brush him, but its just not doing the trick anymore. Has anyone used the furminator? Or one of the imitation brands? And if so, do they work as well? The furminator is about $50 so I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative. And does it bother your dog? Any advice/ experiences with this product or something similar is greatly appreciated..or any other advice to get shedding under control. Thanks!
I haven't read other posts just yet.

I have a furminator, it seems a bit harsh to me and I didn't use it for quite a while but it really does remove loose fur.

I also use Furminator dry shampoo too, I find my Ragdoll (cat)'s fur is manageable using the two products.

My other pets are short fur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs