Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

OOps I did it again I got thrown out of another pet store cause I opened my mouth and said I was going to report them to animal control because of the smell of the place it made me nauseous . Anyway I did call and report them . the poor dogs in there you can see that they are bloated and I noticed one of the puppies had a worm coming out of its butt . I imediately said something to the girl that worked there and her response was , yeah okay so ? I said well you need to take that puppy and have it treated and she said oh I will tell the manager when she decides to get here . By then I was hopping mad and alot of the customers left out the door when they heard me talking . Well low and behold a manager came out from the back and told me i had to leave I was running customers off . I told him you better be glad im not on the phone organizing a picket line . I was so mad . My friends said i did the right thing and my husband said I could have been nicer about it LOL !! He just said looked at me and said I know that look . LOL !!!So I guess what I am asking all of you animal lovers out there like me did I do the right thing ? or should I have kept my mouth shut ? Im just wondering .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
I would have done the same thing. Is it a chain? If so, I would contact HQ. If its independently owned, try to find out the owner. I would be looking for every possible place to report them.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
...did I do the right thing ? or should I have kept my mouth shut ? Im just wondering .
LOL, you bet you did! Good on you ~

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Good for you! We just moved to a new area, so I wanted to find a new store to shop for food/treats/toys. We drove past one near the house, so I wanted to stop in and check it out, since I like to support local business owners. Much to my dismay, the "pet" part in their name really means pets. They sell kittens and puppies. The kicker? They buy them from people on Craigslist, basically encouraging people to breed and sell to them! A woman was there with a basket of puppies that looked to be about 5 weeks old! They were in the middle of the transaction when I walked in. Puppies are $299, and kittens are $79. The kicker? The encourage the college students (school is nearby) to buy them for their dorms/apartments while they are in school here, and even offer a discount to them! Then what, get rid of them after a semester?

Of course, I left disgusted and will never step foot in there again. Looks like we'll be shopping at a pet FOOD store a few miles away instead. People suck, those poor puppies!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Good for you!!!!!! Yep, I'd have done the same thing!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
I agree with the other posters I would have spoken up as well. I would turn heaven and earth to report them to someone either the head office if it is a chain or the owner. I wonder if the humane society can look into the situation..just wondering.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i usually keep my mouth shut but take photos with my cellphone and file formal complaints with the state dept of agriculture (animal control cant do much about it as long as they are obeying the "rules" and "regulations" but the DOA have the authorization to look further into things.

employees are doing their job according to what theyve been told, most arnt even remotly dog savvy (nor do most care) its simply a paying job...and when confronted they will either ignore you, state they dont care, tell you to take it up with a manager or spout off whatever lines theyve been trained to say...(ive worked at puppy stores and my experience has been the same every time)
the manager flat out doesnt care either, they do what corporate tells them...
and corporate doesnt care as long as the store makes money....

but getting evidence and filing formal reports gets real results if enough people do it, educating the public about rescue and GOOD breeders also helps.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
I would have done the same thing. Is it a chain? If so, I would contact HQ. If its independently owned, try to find out the owner. I would be looking for every possible place to report them.
yep.... and the AG's office and the BBB and anyone else remotely official....

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i usually keep my mouth shut but take photos with my cellphone and file formal complaints with the state dept of agriculture (animal control cant do much about it as long as they are obeying the "rules" and "regulations" but the DOA have the authorization to look further into things.

employees are doing their job according to what theyve been told, most arnt even remotly dog savvy (nor do most care) its simply a paying job...and when confronted they will either ignore you, state they dont care, tell you to take it up with a manager or spout off whatever lines theyve been trained to say...(ive worked at puppy stores and my experience has been the same every time)
the manager flat out doesnt care either, they do what corporate tells them...
and corporate doesnt care as long as the store makes money....

but getting evidence and filing formal reports gets real results if enough people do it, educating the public about rescue and GOOD breeders also helps.

VERY good ideas here!!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I agree with Foxywench and would have documented it and filed a complaint if it was bad. Confrontation in the store and telling them your reporting them, does nothing but alert the store that they been caught doing something wrong. If they fix it by the time an inspector arrives, there is diddly the authority can do. These stores get away with it over and over. But documenting and reporting, now that can result in them being caught off guard.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I don't blame you BUT it might have been best to keep quiet and report them after you left. They will prepare for an inspection now that you warned them you would report them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs