U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,917 times

Advertisements

yesterday my 24 yo son and I found a starving pit on the side of the highway. He looks around 2 or 3 yrs old. he has fleas and sores from either scratching, abuse or both. he was very shy and very hard to catch. My son finally was able to get close enough to pick him up. by this time we had given him 2 sausages, and one baggie of dogfood. he did not try to bite my son. once in our car, he appeared comfy and let us pet him. we want to keep him and give him lots of TLC and all else he needs to be healthy and happy. we are keeping him indoors. so far he has let us bathe him, kiss his face all over, apply salve to his sores, leash him to go out to potty or go for a ride with us, feed him treats by hand, he licked our hand once...my son is taking him to the vet in 2 days for all that's required there. we have been trying to educate ourselves on his breed. he is not yet energetic or playful but i think he has made a lot of progress in 24 hours! i also think that he will develope more with time and be more trusting of us. we have never had this breed but have heard all the bad stuff, so i can't say we are completely comfortable YET. my main concern is...can he overcome the shyness or if he has been abused...can our TLC change his shyness? he does at times flench when we start to pet him. he did briefly growl at me in the middle of the night from across the dark room..but once i started talking to him he seemed fine again. any advise from people who own them or have knowledge is great!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,470,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina55 View Post
yesterday my 24 yo son and I found a starving pit on the side of the highway. He looks around 2 or 3 yrs old. he has fleas and sores from either scratching, abuse or both. he was very shy and very hard to catch. My son finally was able to get close enough to pick him up. by this time we had given him 2 sausages, and one baggie of dogfood. he did not try to bite my son. once in our car, he appeared comfy and let us pet him. we want to keep him and give him lots of TLC and all else he needs to be healthy and happy. we are keeping him indoors. so far he has let us bathe him, kiss his face all over, apply salve to his sores, leash him to go out to potty or go for a ride with us, feed him treats by hand, he licked our hand once...my son is taking him to the vet in 2 days for all that's required there. we have been trying to educate ourselves on his breed. he is not yet energetic or playful but i think he has made a lot of progress in 24 hours! i also think that he will develope more with time and be more trusting of us. we have never had this breed but have heard all the bad stuff, so i can't say we are completely comfortable YET. my main concern is...can he overcome the shyness or if he has been abused...can our TLC change his shyness? he does at times flench when we start to pet him. he did briefly growl at me in the middle of the night from across the dark room..but once i started talking to him he seemed fine again. any advise from people who own them or have knowledge is great!
My husband and I own three American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT)!! lol!! We have had Brooklyn, our 1 year 2 month old male, sinse he was 8 weeks old, we have had Destiny, our 6 month old female, since she was about 8 weeks old and we have had Jayda, our 7 1/2 month old female, for all of 2 days now! Jayda was our neighbors dog, they abused her, neglected her, chained her up on the back porch and moved away so, we took her in! She is very shy and she's scared of almost everything. Well, she has gotten better today, but if we walk up to her quickly she tucks her tail between her legs and rolls over on her back. As for all of the horrible stuff you have heard about "pit bulls".. it's all crap! First of all, "pit bull" isn't a breed, it's a term used to group three breeds.. American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT), American Staffordshire Terriers (AmStaff) and Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffie). Like I said, we own three APBTs and they are the most amazing dogs! You will never find a better dog! APBTs are one of the most stable people-friendly breeds in existence. "Pit bulls" were originally bred to fight dogs so, some do tend to be dog aggressive, but most properly socialized "pit bulls" don't have a problem with other dogs. I mean, look at us.. we have 3 "pit bulls" and they are wonderful together! For hundreds of years "pit bulls" have been bred to have a human friendly disposition and an overwhelming sense of need to please their owners. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and APBTs placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate! They are way, way more tolerant than most popular family breeds such as goldens and beagles! All three "pit bull" breeds are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more.The American Pit Bull Terrier is additionally one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed of dogs. The trainer of the show dog Lassie has even remarked on how the APBT is his choice of breed for training. They are unique, smart, easy to train, sweet, loyal, loving, gentle, obedient, devoted, trustworthy, tolerant and funny! They are almost human like in their emotions and expressions! These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! It has been said that a "pit bull" never met a stranger. They love and adore humans. They want so much to be apart of your family and spend time with you watching tv, walking, driving, etc. I have seen severely abused and neglected "pit bulls" who see you coming and they can't wait to be petted and loved. Even after the abuse, they want nothing more than to be with a family of their own! As with any breed there are exceptions to the normal temperament and behavior. We see this in humans as well, there are good ones and bad ones. APBTs aren't for everyone though! They do tend to be a somewhat dominate breed (our three aren't at all) and they need a strong pack leader to properly train and socialize them. They are a very high energy breed and they need a lot of exercise.. we walk ours three times a day for 30 to 45 minutes each walk. They get very attached to their owners very quickly and they are not a breed for someone that wants an outside dog or someone that won't be home alot. After a while he will get use to his new family and his new home and he will be fine! Just give him lots of TLC and once he sees you aren't going to hurt him and he can trust you he will be an amazing dog!

Here are some wonderful websites..

The Most Complete Pit Bull Website for Owners on the Web
Bad Rap : Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pit bulls (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/ - broken link)
Official Pit Bull Informational Site of Diane Jessup
Pet Pit Bull - Home
Pit Bull Rescue Central
The REAL Pit Bull - Info Center | Advocacy & Rescue | Education | Blog
Bad Rap : Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pitbulls (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm - broken link)
Myths Surrounding the American Pit Bull Terrier
Pit Bull Fact vs. Legend

Here are some "pit bull"/ BSL videos I made! lol! They aren't the greatest thing in the world, but it has some info and some wonderful pictures of "pit bulls" at work and with their families...

http://www.jumpcut.com/pitbullmommie122106 (broken link)

I would have to say this one is my favorite out of all of them...

Jumpcut - The real pit bull (http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=69774E102FBD11DC9353000423CF381C - broken link)

Here are our babies! Brooklyn is the brindle, Jayda is the black and white and Destiny is the white and tan!

I'm not a "pit bull" expert by any means, but I do own three of them and I do know quite a bit about them so, if you ever have any questions or need some advice please feel free to message me and I will help you out to the best of my ability! Oh, and thanks for rescuing that pup.. we need more people like you in this world!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 07-17-2007 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,319,506 times
Gina, congratulations and THANK YOU for taking in that baby! Okay, so maybe he's not a baby, but he'll be YOUR baby!

The only advice I would have is the same with any dog...he doesn't know you and is understandably cautious, as you should be. Everyone is getting their "sea legs", so to speak. I would imagine within a couple of weeks you will see him let his guard down a little and become more friendly. Just be careful not to over-baby him - you've rescued him but he still needs strong leadership and a warm heart mixed together. Immediately set yourself up as the alpha - get you some books and start working with him in a week or so, or enroll him in obedience class. It will be a wonderful bond for you both.

He can overcome his shyness for the most part. I have a Rottweiler that has been with me four years who still cowers if anyone raises their voice....if I pick up the broom she will take off for parts unknown - but her history is a mystery to me, so I just allow her to have her little weirdness - we're all weird anyway! I reassure her and she calms some, but she is always ready in case the broom takes flight and attacks her. It's a very sad thing to watch - she's a wonderful dog, but if I even attempt to correct her she cowers and almost looks like she will cry. I have to deal with her a little differently than the others.

Go gently, watch for anything that may trigger your new dog's fears....and
love, love, love, although I would be cautious about entering his "space" until you both know each other a little better - no face up next to his or whatever. No telling what he's lived through. My rescued Rottie, although not threatening in any way, simply does not want a hug. A chest scratch or butt scratch is fine, but she will just turn her head if you try to hug her. The other thing to be cautious of is coming over his back to hug him or even pet him....this is very disturbing to some dogs. Approach from the front with your hand extended, palm up, in a quiet manner...get within a foot or so and then let the dog come to you. There's a safety zone there that makes you AND the dog feel better. As you learn about your new addition you can drop that. The trust will come on both sides, but for a while you will need to have a healthy respect for his boundaries, and he will develop a healthy respect for yours

PitBullMommie is an amazing resource for info on this breed - stick with her, PM her, and I think you are going to have one great companion for life!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 AM

525 posts, read 2,154,496 times
FANTASTIC advice all, can't add a thing except........

THANK YOU THANK YOU-you and your son, for caring so much about an innocent life you don't even know. Thank you for taking the time, that no one else would or had, out of your day and lifes to help this pup

BRAVO to you two, you are heros to that pup, and your efforts will be rewarded handsomly. I can attest, that these babies KNOW that you have helped them, saved them, that you are kind and loving. Once you have been to the vet, and have a full picture of the medical condition, just give the baby love, time, patience, TRAINING (start immediately-NILIF is awesome) and be your kind loving selfs. YOu probably are the first kind and gentle hand this lost soul has known, and for that I THANK you so very very much.

If EVERY human would reach out and help ONE lost, homeless, abused, neglected animal, this world would be a MUCH BETTER PLACE You did your part yesterday, and pup will never let you forget just how awesome you are.

Enjoy the summer with your new baby, roll in the grass, warm in the sun, and have a good bone under a tree

Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,519,170 times
if the dog is shy, as people are. The dog is learning love and trust.
You are so kind to give this dog that. I also would say to see if you could find a crate where the dog can retreat for quiet time, and to feel safe.

the best of luck to you.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
I adopted a Great Pyrenese that went through the exact same thing your dog did. Just take it slowly and patiently. He may well never recover from certain things like my dog. He couldnt get used to lound noises (gunshots, music suddently on loud etc, but he liked the loud music) and it made him skittish. But taking time with him and he should be a playfull happy dog that just wants to be loved.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:32 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,696,214 times
Thumbs up Bravo, bravo, bravo to all you pet and animal lovers!!!

Can't add a thing...just hip-hip-hurray to all you wonderful people, and to Gina for being such a kind and awesome person, taking little pup in......*sniff, sniff*
Pup will give you so much joy.....awwwww....
Good luck, keep us posted on the progress and post a pic, please, when you get the chance!

Last edited by MB2; 07-17-2007 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,212,809 times
Thumbs up You're awesome Gina!

Gina, I just want to hug you !

Without a doubt, keep this dog - he is meant to be with you .

There is so much great advice above, no need for me to add much here, so I'll keep it brief:

1) Nightmares - lots of dogs get them. One of our dogs sleeps in our bed now (not something I'd normally recommend), it has eased her anxiety tremendously, but she still wimpers and growls in her sleep. We 'talk her down' and pet her a bit and she settles back down (don't try petting your new dog while sleeping though...too early for that).

2) The vet might find some mange (you mentioned sores). It sounds scary, but you can do dips that will kill it off. The dog above had mange when we found her and the dips worked to kill off the mange. All her fur grew back and she has a perfect coat now.

3) The shyness should fade over time (you'll likely see improvements that can be measured in weeks, months and years), but the years before living with you will not be forgotten. Unless there is an indication that this dog would enjoy living with another companion, consider keeping him as an only dog - this can alleviate a lot of stress for a dog that has been through some bad early years.

Pit Bulls have incredible personalities, once the shyness wears off, look out, they tend to be very silly !

Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,202,706 times
Gina,

It's so nice of you and your son to take the time and care for this poor dog. The dog might have been abused and may be shy of humans. I think the Vet will help you and son a lot. I wish you guys the best. I wish more people were like you and your son.

A couple of years ago, I found a lost little dog. I took him home and called the local shelter and left information about him. I took him to the Vet to see if he had an I.D. chip (but he did not).

Well, He got along with our dogs great. I started falling in love with him and we decided to keep him. Wouldn't you know it a week later the owner called us from the number we left at the shelter and came to pick up their dog. I was happy for him that he got to go home with his family but sad because I fell in love with him and wanted to keep him. This is kinda embarrassing but I started to cry. But I know it was for the best even though they were very irresponsible for the way he got lost and he didn't even have any collar or tags on. But they promised me they would tag him and sure enough we saw him on the beach a few days later in a nice new collar with tags.

Anyways, I think you and your son are cool and I wish you guys the best with your new doggy!!!

Last edited by Roma; 07-17-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM

128 posts, read 247,834 times
Smile Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Pit Bulls have incredible personalities, once the shyness wears off, look out, they tend to be very silly !
Riveree is sooo right Dozer was alittle shy at first, now he is inceribly silly. apbt are sooo amazing they have the perfect personality. and you will grow to love your dog more and more everyday. and you wont believe how fast it will grow to love you if you take care of it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or