Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times

Advertisements

Here's my story, I live in NYC have a 16yr old doggie that is still in good shape. The only problems he has is a cough and some skin infections here and there. Nothing major. I give him medicated baths and cough medicine and he is back to normal in no time. His heart is good, he understands, he hears, he sees (a little cataracts) but still good to go... here's the situation

I recently moved and could not take him with me to my new apartment. Was ok because he was able to stay at my mother's where he has lived his entire life. Now she is moving by the end of this month and is refusing to take him into her new place with her even though she can and I cannot. She doesn't want anything more to do with him once she moves sooooo I am forced to put him in a shelter or euthanize him.

I need help!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know where to turn to, who to call or where to bring him to. I still want to be a part of his life until his last day. I still want to be able to feed him what he likes, walk him, bathe him and care for all his needs but I cannot provide a roof over his head. I am even willing to pay someone or someplace to keep him safe and sound during the day and night and I go visit 3-4 times a week and supply him with everything else.

Can't anyone please refer me to someplace? I am sure he will die of depression and sadness in a shelter but I don't think they will euthanize him neither if he doesn't need to be.

Please someone help me: email me directly at e.ortega@msn.com

Thank You very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Sounds like you need to move to a place you can care for your dog. Senior dogs are often difficult to place and many people dump their senior dags because medical expenses become too much.

If you are not willing/able to move to a place where you can care for your dog then why don't you contact your veterinarians office and see if they might know someone willing to adopt your senior dog. They may be able to match him up with an older person who needs a senior dog.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I agree. You need to find a place where you can take the dog and move there. That's what you should have done in the first place.

However, if you can't do that, in all honesty, if you can't find a rescue that specializes in geriatric dogs, the most humane thing you can do is euthanize him. That's NOT something I'd say to anyone lightly, but if you've had him 16 years old, the chances of him accepting a new family is pretty slim. At his age, trying to re-join a new pack could be enough stress to kill him. That's not fair.

I've got an 8 year old poodle that was an owner surrender that went three days without eating. Adjusting to our home has been horrible forhim. I can't imagine a dog trying that at 16 years old. That's just horrible!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i absolutly agree with mrs1885...

in a shelter unless a true angel takes pity on him he will remain there untill he dies, geriatric/senior animals do not rehome well and dont do well in a shelter plain and simple.

i couldnt imagine ever accepting a place (desperate or not) that doesnt allow my pets, id rather live in my car than in a rental that doesnt allow...so id try to see if your landlord would take pity or if moving might be doable.
at 16 he may not have much time left...

1 option you might not have thought of that MIGHT work would be a doggy daycare that offers boarding...itll cost you, but the one neer me offers long term boarding as an option, during the day they get to do whatever, at night they sleep wherever (this is a cage free place) as long as you can afford it, they will keep them however long you need...it might be a better option than a shelter or a vets boarding kennel and youd be able to visit.

id also look into rescues (not shelters) contact any and all you can and see if anyone has a big enough heart to take him in.

another option ive seen on craiglist a few times is putting the dog up for fostering, a good samaritan would take the dog in and youd pay for any food, vet care, toys, grooming ect and sometimes something for the persons time/energy, these situations often allow for visits, ive seen these situations asked for frequently in the NY pets section on craigslist, i dont know what the sucess rate is.

if all those options fail i do think its more humane to have your old guy humanely euthanized with you there to hold him in his last few minutes, than to put a 16 yr old dog through the stress of a kennel...

a full rehome is VERY unlikely given the dogs age.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I never understand why people CHOOSE to move to a place that won't allow their pet. Like the other poster said, I'd go homeless before moving into a place that won't let my pets come with me.

If you had kids, would you move to an apartment that doesn't allow kids, and try to give them away? If your elderly father lived with you, would you move to a place that won't allow old people and give Dad up?

It might mean looking around harder, it might mean moving to a neighborhood or building you don't like so much, it might mean paying a pet fee, but why on earth would you move to a place that won't allow your pet?

I would start looking for a place that will accept my dog ASAP, then break the current lease, forfeit the deposit, and move.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Reading your post just totally breaks my heart. I also agree w/ mrs1885 that the dog either goes w/ you or is euthanized. That kills me to even type it, but it's the only thing humane to do if you don't have it in your heart to let him live out the rest of his shorts years w/ you. It's so not fair on him.

I don't mean to sound cold, but doesn't your mother have any heart? Did she not fall in love in those 16 yrs? Sixteen years the dog gave unconditional love and now he's tossed out like garbage? Sorry, I just can't understand someone doing this. Can't you find a rental that allows dogs? Heck, I'd live in a motel w/ my dog before I had him killed. How can you just up and walk out on him? You sound so caring and that you still really want him. Please look for another place so he can be with you. You and you mom need to sit down and look him in the face. Stare into those eyes of his for a minute and then tell me you can turn your back on him. What did he do to deserve this? All he ever did was love you.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Please don't do it. Your dog will not understand why the one he has loved for so long is suddenly gone. You are his defender; don't let him down. I'd live under a bridge with my dogs before I gave them up. Putting down a dog who is fine is something to which I cannot relate.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
It is post like these that I will never understand. I would think it is absolutely rare that we would ever be in situations where we would be forced to give up our pets. Sure, if there is a city that exists out there in which there is only one place to live this may be the case. (anyone know of one like this where you are forced to move somewhere that doesn't take pets?)

But, wouldn't you search for places that did take pets if you truly loved and valued your animals as the OP acts like they do? I don't know, maybe I am the oddball for searching only for places that do take pets when I have them?

I know that perhaps this person may actually be genuine but I just can't spin a positive side to this story...or turn the OP into the good guy for this. Sorry, makes me cruel but under no circumstances would I ever do this to any of my animals...and there, you all have it in writing.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Why on earth did you rent an apartment that didn't allow dogs to begin with?

You need to break your lease and move somewhere you can have your dog.

If you truly love your dog, that is what you will do---even if it costs you money.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I will weigh in on this if I may. I have in the past gone through some pretty rough times and I would never consider giving up my pets for any reason. I made a commitment to them that I intend to keep until the end. Where I go they go, we are a little family they are seniors now and I am fairly sure if I were to give them up they would sink into a confused depression. If I were you I would turn heaven and earth to find a place that you can have your dog with you. To euthanize your dog just because he cannot be with you is IMO unthinkable. Please do all you can to find a place that will allow you to have you dog. His last years should be with the person that loves him the most in a warm caring place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs