Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I do get tired of the "I would never" group on here in their homes with jobs. Until you are facing poverty and homelessness you don't know what you would do and the horrific choices you might have to make. This economy has made people like me who are responsible dog owners face horrible decisions regarding our beloved pets. The OP was asking for help and all of you start chastising him, instead of offering suggestions and help without the BS.
I agree with this, although the OP could have handled the situation differently to begin with. First of all, the mother may feel as though the dog is old and that it's his time to meet his maker given the situation. Second, the mother may not have been approached properly to begin with, and now that her situation has changed she's had to get tough. She could be going through something, or just moving on - who knows?

A little over a decade ago I rented a room temporarily after moving to a new city in a new state, while looking for a permanent place to land. I had very little money left over. Next thing I knew, I discovered the woman was a former meth addict who went around with a bottle of open brandy in her purse. She worked nights and would come home like she'd been on speed all night, and she ran with a marginal crowd. Her friends ended up convincing her that I was cheating her/stealing from her etc. I was not. She kicked me out suddenly and there I was, living in my truck for a solid week with two cats, until I could find a suitable place. So not only was I homeless but people - including some relatives - were actually judging me for being in a situation that I didn't have rent money or motel money.

So I think people should realize that ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE - even more so lately than 10 years ago. I have found that those with stable jobs and homes and income - in other words complete security - are often those who are the least sympathetic. (I do not mean anyone here in this thread, since I know none of you personally.) Sometimes they are the most sympathetic. But more often than not, people turn away as if it is not their problem or their concern, and they shut down their hearts and minds. Fortunately, there are many people who don't do that and they try to find solutions for others and not just themselves.

All that being said, it may be the old guy's time. If I got sick and no one could take my old black cat I'd have her put down before I'd see her live a life of grief and despair after the almost 2 wonderful years she's spent with me. She was a stray, who next lived in a garage for a year and then a basement apartment by herself for another year before coming to live with me. I'd send her off to kitty heaven knowing that life isn't fair and it must be her time and I'd do it as lovingly and peacefully as possible.

Because the fact is, if the OP could have rented a place for a dog, he would have. He's probably working in the city, riding the subway, living very urban - who can keep a dog in that situation? People grow up and their lives change. I think the mother is pretty heartless to make it tough on a dog she's known for 16 years, but I don't know the entire situation.

I'm older now and in ill health. I've asked my son to take my old cat if something happens to me. The vet said she's over 10 years old. He would do it even though it means another cat in a house with 2 dogs and another cat and some birds. I've asked him if he cannot do that, to please make sure she has a good home or lovingly send her to heaven, but whatever happens please do not throw her in a shelter or onto the street, like so many people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
there are plantyr of places even in the most urban enviornments that allow dogs...it may not be ideal but it works...

ive seen hardship, ive been homeless, i currently have a job ONLY because i started my own buisness, and have had to return home and live with my parents while i get things together again...and my dogs still came first, plain and simple...there are always options...

the dogs been living with the ops mother for a while now because the op's place isnt dog frinedly, that should have been plenty of time spent looking for a place that will allow a dog.
i know a person in the bronx NY who works 2 jobs lives in a 500sqft apt and has 3 sheperds, its tough for her but the dogs are very happy well looked after, its just more work on her part, instead of going out with her frineds she comes home and spends that time with her dogs ect..., she lived out of her car with 3 sheps for almost 3 months after her family kicked her out, she used what money she could get to feed her dogs while she ate at soup kitchens and dumpster dived and exchanged kennel work for vet care when the dogs needed their shots.

i simply dont buy the "i have no choice" excuse...
especially when the op made it very clear that money is not a problem and they are willing to pay someone to care for the dog...
also her profile says she has 2 dogs so why is this only a problem with the old boy?!

i DO understand bad situations happen...
and there are a few reasons rehoming a pet is "ok" in my mind...

i moved to a new apartment is NOT one of them any more than "i dont have time" is a good excuse...
in those cases simply be honest, lives and desires change, simply say that instead of making excuses.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Motel 8 takes animals. But you can always google and find plenty of motels/hotels and even B&B's that take animals.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:08 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
Ideally before deciding to get a pet my rule of thumb is that they are a life time commitment. Yes family circumstances change but pets should be given as much consideration as any other family member imo.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
This post makes me so sad. 'Getting rid of' a 16 year old dog? Unless there is severe financial hardship involved (and doesn't seem so) or perhaps severe health issues; then I see no excuse for this.

Most shelters are not going to keep a dog that age very long; at least not where I live. They are overcrowded and the older dogs that can't be adopted are euthanized quickly.

I hope that the OP has found a solution that allows the dog to remain taken care of. I would hate to reward a loyal companion of 16 years by tossing him out.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Has anyone noticed the OP has not bothered to respond further to her thread?

I agree with most of your responses. This is a despicable situation of the OP's making. My heart goes out to the poor dog.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM

77 posts, read 131,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
What state doesn't allow you to take your pets?? Or what town for that matter??

Don't tell me that there is NO PLACE at all in your town that allows pet when you rent. I see people all the time with dogs that are banned breeds going to crazy lengths to get a rental WITH their pets.

I've had calls locally from people that can't keep their dog because they're moving and can't take it. Why are you moving? We're having a baby so we need a 2 bedroom apartment. Have you considered a 2 bedroom house? No, we want an apartment because we don't want to mow grass. Have you looked into having someone mow grass for you or looked into a home where you pay the landlord a little extra each month to care for the yard? No, we don't want to pay more and we like apartments. Ok, have you looked into such and such apartment complex; they allow dogs? No, we don't like that neighborhood. We want to stay close so we can walk to our friends house. Do you have a vehicle? Yes, we each have a vehicle. So, if you moved to the other apartment couldn't you just drive to your friends house? Yes, but we don't want to spend more on gas to do that and we like being close so we can walk over.

These are people that want to live in a specific apartment complex because it has a pool or business center or whatever. It has nothing to do with anything else. They want to live there and their family companion is now in the way and needs to go.

Guys, I'm not exagerating. These are conversations I have with people. So when I hear "I'm moving and can't take my dog" I'm very skeptical.
All I'm trying to say is you do not know the OP's situation. When I lived in NYS with animals, finding an apt. or a house that allowed pets WITHIN my price range was extremely difficult. That's when we decided to buy. Now, we're in a different situation and simply may not find a place that takes animals. We'll beg and plead but that just may not work (we actually tried that in our recent town - one of my dogs is a therapy dog - well trained but they still said absolutely not.)

So, I will say loudly and clearly, I've seen places in two small towns where, "... there is NO PLACE at all in your town that allows pet when you rent." When I hear, "I'm moving and can't take my animals," I've been there and seen it in great abundance. So I'm the last one here to judge the OP's statement.

Some people use it as an excuse but unless we're omnipotent, we do not know.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
This makes me sick. If you had a child, would you move to an "adults only" complex? NO! You made a commitment to your dog until the day they die. To give up a dog at 16 is about the most heartless and contemptible things I have ever heard. What goes around, comes around and there is a hot place in hell for anyone abandoning their elderly dog to a shelter or anywhere else at 16!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega;17395521 I recently moved and could not take him with me to my new apartment.

[B
Was ok because he was able to stay at my mother's where he has lived his entire life.[/b]Now she is moving by the end of this month and is refusing to take him into her new place with her even though she can and I cannot. She doesn't want anything more to do with him
I need help!!!!!!!!!!!! ...
(I kept trying to bold the second sentence, not the first, but it won't work!!)

Other than dis-owning your mom (that is unforgivable, IMO), I'd look into finding a private landlord, or a roommate situation. Scanning Craigslist may be a good start. Many homeowners are looking to rent out to help with the mortgage because so many folks bought "over their heads" before the economy tanked.

craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (Just be sure to google any phone #s to make sure the people are legit! Most legit postings, in my experience anyway, include their listed phone #s. This is how I've weeded things down for a starting point when looking for any landlord. Never bothered with somebody I couldnt google!)

(I know you're not in Dallas, don't know why that came up.)

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've always thought of my pets like my kids. Would I abandon the kids if the apartment I wanted didn't allow children. I know, the non-pet people will think that's extreme, but to me it's the same. I made a life time commitment to the animals just like I did the kids.

Couldn't agree more Alley.
I'm not a non-pet person, and I think that some of this line of thought is extreme. Count me as one who finds the "I'd go homeless before..." talk to be fairly sanctimonious. If I am homeless, I'm really not going to make a very good "parent" to my dog. Not everyone finds themselves in positions where the choices they are presented with are good or easy to make.

I do think that there are situations where it's necessary to surrender a pet. When we adopted our dog, we were asked during the application process under what circumstances could we imagine that we would surrender a pet. We couldn't think of any that really applied to us, apart from a situation where one of us became disabled and was unable to meet the animal's needs any longer. But situations do occur where I don't fault people for surrendering their pets, for the good of the pet.

No idea if this applies in particular to the OP's situation, but just an overall, general observation. The "I would never" crowd is one I'm skeptical of. Most people live in shades of grey, in the end, even if they preach black-and-white. Plainly put, you don't know that "you would never," despite your high ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs