U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,841,610 times

Advertisements

I got the following email through one of my "dog" groups and thought I'd share. I called both my treat providers and they didn't know. According to Dr. Carol Osborne, who I called today, this has just come out. Has anyone else run across this one???? According to Snopes it's true and the FDA has issued a warning but according to Snopes it was in 2007. I got suspicious as the Vet I talked with was trying to sell me her treats.

Anyone else getting a new warning???

Re: jerky treats causing Fanconi syndrome in dogs...

And if it doesn't say where it is made, �the bar code on productsfrom China begin with � 690, 601, 692. � products made in the US�and Canada begin with 00 or 09.

Jerky Treats Causing Fanconi Syndrome in Dogs�

The American Veterinary Medical Association recently has posted a Media
Alert warning veterinarians that multiple brands of jerky treats
manufactured in China have been making dogs sick.

No cats have been reported to be affected. A contaminant has yet to be
identified. At this time there is no list of specific brands affected
and there is no recall in effect, so these products are still being sold
to consumers.

Presenting Signs and Laboratory Findings

The dogs appear to be developing an acquired Fanconi's syndrome which
appears to be transient. Small dogs with a history of ingesting jerky
treats (mostly chicken jerky) are typically affected. Clinical signs
include vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

Physical examination findings have been unremarkable. In addition to
mildly elevated liver enzymes, the most common blood abnormalities
include severe decrease in Potassium, called hypokalemia, along with
acidosis and glucose (sugar) in the urine and granular casts on
urinalysis. Elevated kidney enzymes; Blood Urea Nitrogen and Creatinine
may or may not be consistently found.

Testing Recommendations

For dogs with apparent Fanconi's syndrome, we recommend a CBC, chemistry
panel including electrolytes, urinalysis and urine culture. Blood gas
analysis, if available, is ideal. Additional testing for other causes of
acute kidney damage including Leptospirosis blood testing is also
recommended. Kidney x-rays, and Fanconi screens on urine may be
warranted in some cases.

This veterinarian is seeing dogs with apparent acute liver failure problems
associated with canine treats made by Delmonte.

For more information, veterinarian, Dr. Carol Osborne can be reached toll free
at 1-866-372-2765.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,200,064 times
I hadn't heard anything about it. I do always check to see where my dogs's food/treats and toys originate and I try to buy only "made in the USA". There is no way I would purchase any food product made in China, however, as I am understanding it, any food containing glutens could as apparently the USA imports glutens from China for use in our processed foods and mixes.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,798,138 times
i heard about this in 2007 but as far as i was aware theyd gotten the issue sorted and recals had been made back then...

i would agree however to try and buy jerkey only made in the usa and if possible...localy made...
its actually very easy to make your own with a little dehydrator (for your pets and family) and that way can be sure your getting only top quality safe ingredients...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,418,535 times
Have you checked the melamine count on the nutrient label, there on his treat package? I think it was in H.R.1087 (House resolution),
where the FPA (federal pet agency), put a clause into the treat suppliers contracts for import, a distinct provision that the melamine content
of the treat, be clearly labeled upon the product. The agency's feeling was that although melamine does provide our pets with necessary fiber,
the stuff that keeps little Fifi's droppings firm and ready for that hand-baggie pickup, that also provides us with an exercise routine and does a
lot for our heart-health, bending over and all. Imported treats are often used in the manufacture of methamphetamine. If they are metabolized
in a chemically converted soup of other household chemicals, they can be sold to a waiting adolescent, drug craving society, many of the new
entrepeneurs are cashing in on the pet treat, to street drug, market. The kids are howling for it and as long as the FDA continues to bark up the
wrong tree, these "killer-treats", will continue to enter the country.

I used to think that even though I had a voice or a choice in the food that was available on the shelves, who could I complain to if things
were not up to standard? Unless you are able to have a "heart-to-heart" talk with 'lil Fifi, you'll never really get to know how he feels about his
food, he doesn't have a suggestion box and his only recourse is to make a statement in his litter-box. If I might suggest a tried and true method
of deciding what or what's not fit for your dog, take a bite for yourself and imagine yourself as a dog. If you can get through that "treat", I am
pretty sure that he can too.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I hadn't heard anything about it. I do always check to see where my dogs's food/treats and toys originate and I try to buy only "made in the USA". There is no way I would purchase any food product made in China, however, as I am understanding it, any food containing glutens could as apparently the USA imports glutens from China for use in our processed foods and mixes.
Just because a products is made in the USA, it doesn't mean imported ingredients aren't used! That's a way of still being able to put made in the USA on the label. I recently purchased freeze dried salmon for my boys. They weren't cheap ($10 for a very small bag) but that was ok, the package clearly said Made in the USA. I brought it home, opened it up, and inside on the package it said: Made in the USA, using Chinese ingredients! I was so pissed that they didn't put it on the outside of the package. I brought it back to the store and got a full refund.

Many pet food companies also import vitamins, Wellness included.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,200,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Just because a products is made in the USA, it doesn't mean imported ingredients aren't used! That's a way of still being able to put made in the USA on the label. I recently purchased freeze dried salmon for my boys. They weren't cheap ($10 for a very small bag) but that was ok, the package clearly said Made in the USA. I brought it home, opened it up, and inside on the package it said: Made in the USA, using Chinese ingredients! I was so pissed that they didn't put it on the outside of the package. I brought it back to the store and got a full refund.

Many pet food companies also import vitamins, Wellness included.
Right, that was the point I was trying to make about the use of glutens.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
Save this link and check it from time to time
Pet Food Recall Products List

Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,110,410 times
Those Waggin Tails treats you see at Walmart are made in China, the fine print is so small , it was discussed in a dog forum, too many co. name changes for these so called makers of treats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or