U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times

Advertisements

I adore all 3 breeds and have experience with all 3...

im also not plannign for right now but a couple years down the line...

but heres the deal. mim disabled and qualify for a service dog, im not in a position right now, but plan on getting a puppy and self training (i was a dog trainer) as theres very limited resources for pre-schooled dogs for my type of disability.
and i enjoy training...

that being said the dog will have to perform a number of tasks, some for psychiatric service, others for epilepsy and yet others to assist with mobility...
so a small dog wont work...
and as much as i love the giants ( a dane would be my dream dog) they are too large to comfortably perform most service work (they dont compact very well for small spaces)

Im also going to be a young woman living alone...

all 3 breeds have pros and cons.

dobies are stunning but prone to alot of genetic issues (yes good breeding will help reduce but...) they are also subject to breed bans and insurance issues...
i am worried about same sex dog agression being that i have small dogs.
on the plus size there a short coated easy upkeep kind of breed, very inteligent and they have a certian intimidation factor that would be a nice added bonus.

standard poodles are amazingly inteligent, many excell at service work, but grooming can be a bear (id be doing it myself and am experienced but alot of time goes into keeping a poo looking good) and has no intimidation factor whatsoever, they can also be a little aloof...

corsi, one of my favorite breeds ever, definatly have the intimidation factor and very easy coat upkeep, not as tall but hefty enough to help with mobility issues...but they do LOOK like a bully breed and are mastifs so obviously like dobes breed specific legislation and insurance issues could arise...

you dont see many doing service dog work, but the ones that do EXCEL (becaus of the bond they form with their people) and theres a big movment to get them more active in therapy/service work and improving the breeds rep.

im not concerned about cost, and because of the nature of work i WILL be buying from a breeder (preferably a slightly older pup) as i need to be certain and steadfast on temperment and genetics...

all 3 are very different breeds with very different needs, pros and cons...
i have no doubt in my ability to handle any of them...but must admit im highly drawn to the corso...

the dog would, if all goes well and according to plan, be living on a small "farm" homestead with just me, some goats, chickens and rabbits, and preferably 3 chinese crested dogs.
if i can get enough land i will also be ading a pair of lgd's to the "herd" to live with the goats. but thats not set in stone.

so anyones experience with any of these 3 breeds would be great.

and no, im not interested in sheps, labs or goldens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,295 times
I only have eperience with Dobie and Corso.

Dobermans can have a high prey drive so its something to consider with other animals around. Even if raised with them one day could decide they make a nice toy. I don't know how you are planning on keeping the others so it might not be a problem though they can be smart and determined about getting to what they want. I know this will be a service dog and well trained but a Dobie with a base temperament that you need is one thing to consider.

Corso tend to have prey drive but I'd say on average (though not always) its on the lower end when compared to other like breeds. Some are bred with a higher prey drive in mind in combination with the higher defense drive. I've had no dog aggression issue. Rough play could harm small animals. There is a big variance in type so you want to thoroughly research as much as you can.

Have you considered a Boerboel at all. High defense drive, low prey drive a core temperament somewhat similar to an LGD but also like a Corso (not independent) and I found them more obedience willing than an LGD. (I know you want those do to their own job, I'm just trying to give you an idea of the temperament.)

That is my breed ownership experience. Hope it helps some.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM

i LOVE boerboels but havent been able to find a breeder locally, given the nature im looking for meeting the parents and seeing littermates if possible will be an ABSOLUTE must.

thanks, the dobies ive been around do seem to be somewhat "manipulative" lol

Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,295 times
That is very understandable.

I forgot to say if I was going to go with a non molosser breed ever in my life it'd be a Standard Poodle because of their intelligence. I know it won't ever happen but I love the obedience/intelligence factor.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,175,109 times
Doberman.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Aptor...the question then becomes WHY...

as i said ive had experiences with each of the breeds listed, but when you dont own the dog personally theres only so much observation a person can do....

so...given my situation WHY would you say a dobie is the best choice of the 3?

APBT, i do LOVE the poodles, they are stunning, and so smart, but i do spend alot of time grooming my cresties and a standard poo would add another few hours a week onto that...my biggest concern with a poodle is if im spending my days working the farm...am i going to have the time nessicary to handle the poodle coat lol.

id probably end up doing a short lamb or a modified contiental (i love the working continental clip, not as poofy as the show continental) but even so its a good few hours of bathing drying and brushing lol.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:06 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
Wasn't there a federal ruling recently that over rides every single state BSL law stating any working dogs can't be included in BSL legislation?? I remember I was going to say my pittie was a service dog but it wouldn't work for some reason. I just don't remember what the stipulation was that excluded her. I'll go look.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
Found it! Service dogs are exempt from any BSL!! Federal ruling!

ADA and BSL | Game Dog Guardian

Quote:
“The Department does not believe that it is either appropriate or consistent with the ADA to defer to local laws that prohibit certain breeds of dogs based on local concerns that these breeds may have a history of unprovoked aggression or attacks.”

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM

thats awesome news, there was some talk about people loosing their pitty service dogs because of BSL (otherwise known as bull poop legislation)

so that definatly reduces those risks...
unfortunatly however personal discrimnation still exists and not wherywhere is as good about accepting service dogs as others...

ive added boerboel to the list.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,175,109 times
Well I pick a Doberman because our family has had three and they are so smart, loyal and do shed limited amounts. I also am a major fan of their beauty plus for protection they certainly have that look. I really love love all dogs and actually I think any of those breeds would be fine it is just that my heart goes for the Doberman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs