U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yes.....



ditto from me.....




if a chip is removed or tampered with, then in my book, that is animal cruelty and the person should be forever banned from being responsible for any kind of animal.... because someone stupid enough to try to do something like that to circumvent a law sure is NOT going to be doing it while the dog or cat is under anesthesia......

and actually, protective services for animals is not a bad idea.... you have obviously never seen the results of animal abuse.... as i and others in rescue have.... the animals can't speak for themselves..... and makes a WHOLE lot more sense than BSL.....

and its not adding taxes.... it would be paid for by an annual licensing fee.... if you don't want to pay the fee, you don't get the pet....
This is insane. I really don't even know how to respond.

Obviously you are not technologically savvy, you don't need to mutilate an animal to disable a little RFID chip.

You say no extra taxes because the licensing fee will cover it? How much do you expect to collect per license? 10$? 20$? 50$?? How much do you expect to pay these "animal protective services" employees, considering the amount of regulation you expect them to do? It is just not feasible.

Babies can't speak for themselves, either. Do we expect to also add on an annual baby license fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,113,508 times
Reputation: 7598
Its sad that pitbulls get misused to the point where they are given such far off stereotypes. all the well cared for pitts that I have met are all protective but sweet dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,745,389 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Dont all Cities / Counties say you should have a dog license anyway ? Everywhere I have lived did, both here and abroad. Granted nobody enforced it and I never paid for it but you were supposed to have one. I know here its barley $6 a year.
My town wants us to pay for one, but I haven't sent them their money nor do I plan to. Not like we have any dog parks or anything, it's just a fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,113,508 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I've had one dog for four years now and neither of the two vets he's been to has said anything to me about a license when getting his rabies shots.
my dad got a ticket for not licensing his dogs. but I think the animal cops just got pissed at him because his dogs would get out every day.
I think if he was more responsible the cops would not have enforced that law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Tx
1,203 posts, read 3,860,849 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
my dad got a ticket for not licensing his dogs. but I think the animal cops just got pissed at him because his dogs would get out every day.
I think if he was more responsible the cops would not have enforced that law.
I heard mention of it when I was considering a move to another city, and will check when I move in a few months, but anytime I call animal control about the strays in the park across from my house they say it will be 3 days before someone can come out, well by that time they'll be gone, so I'm sure they're far to busy to go checking for a license on every dog in Dallas county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,113,508 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I heard mention of it when I was considering a move to another city, and will check when I move in a few months, but anytime I call animal control about the strays in the park across from my house they say it will be 3 days before someone can come out, well by that time they'll be gone, so I'm sure they're far to busy to go checking for a license on every dog in Dallas county.
when I was in SA the animal control there took days too.

you should either call and say that you were bitten (flat out lie), They did not come unless the dog was showing some really bad anti social behavior.

or call the mayor's office. There were people there who were all too happy to tell the cops get off their lazy butts and go check on the area.

I was nearly mauled a couple of times and was often scared for my life and that of my dogs while walking them. The cops told me once that unless I or my dogs are mauled then there is nothing the can do. I hated walking in SA for that reason.

It is odd that they would come out and pick up the vicious dogs (cause I would not see them again) but no one ever contacted me after. I guess the owners never protested about their dogs being picked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Tx
1,203 posts, read 3,860,849 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
when I was in SA the animal control there took days too.

you should either call and say that you were bitten (flat out lie), They did not come unless the dog was showing some really bad anti social behavior.

or call the mayor's office. There were people there who were all too happy to tell the cops get off their lazy butts and go check on the area.
The area I live in has bigger problems then stray dogs. Trust me, I hear gun shots at least once a week and cops are always cruising down my street. Stray animals are the least of their worries. There is a handful of stray cats that run around the neighborhood that animal control won't pick up because they've been fixed. Well it's caused a flea problem and my neighbor is sick of it. He was going to start catching them and taking them to a shelter outside of the county because you can't bring them to Dallas county because they know every one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,189,695 times
Reputation: 9611
As far as dog licensing goes, I never licensed any dogs until the 2 I have now, an APBT, and a mutt who would fall under the description "pit bull type dog" although I don't think she is a pit mix. Neither of these dogs has ever tried to get out of the fence or front door, but in case they ever did run off for some odd reason, I want them to be "law-abiding dog citizens."
Kayfouroh, let's hear you out for a moment. What law or laws would you like to see put in place to deal with dog attacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,113,508 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
The area I live in has bigger problems then stray dogs. Trust me, I hear gun shots at least once a week and cops are always cruising down my street. Stray animals are the least of their worries. There is a handful of stray cats that run around the neighborhood that animal control won't pick up because they've been fixed. Well it's caused a flea problem and my neighbor is sick of it. He was going to start catching them and taking them to a shelter outside of the county because you can't bring them to Dallas county because they know every one of them.
Oh it is the same in SA. They don't come unless you say they are attacked.

as for the cats, they have colonies in SA. You get a license to form a colony, you catch, fix and release the cats right back into the wild. So cats are most definitely not on the radar for pick ups.

It is awful though, there are so many of them that people often speed up when they see a cat trying to cross the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
 
76 posts, read 95,754 times
Reputation: 35
I guess they give anyone a license to practice law nowaydays. Didn't they use to require a law degree and that the person in question had passed the bar exam?

EDIT: Apparently she has served as district judge and she is strong supporter for second amendment rights. It's a little odd that she wants to ban specific dog breeds for being dangerous but at the same time she is strongly pro-gun. Would make more sense if she was pro-ban on both PB and guns.

Last edited by Palpatine; 01-25-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top