U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 AM

441 posts, read 521,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Thanks

we make an easy 5 hour drive in 6-7 hours every few weeks, its not that bad. But multiply that by 4 and i think i would be over the edge!!!!!

interesting i have never heard of a baby sleeper car thing. britax does not seem to sell these in the USA. maybe not allowed here? we have the top of the line Britax rear facing seat here which is n Advocate 70 CS and have it reclined as much as possible. he is a big baby though- already 20# at 5.5months.

our dog loves to drive. we don't have her in a harness which may be a mistake.

although we always find it amusing to find the dog in the driver seat after we go out to grab something to eat or whatever.

"dog is my co-pilot"
This is the modern version of a carrycot car seat
Britax Baby Safe Sleeper Baby Car Seat

Sorry I was thinking of a new born to 3 months.

I wouldn't take a young baby on a plane tbh. Can you get a train, in the UK Leeds to London is about a 3 to 4 hour drive, its about 2 hours by train.

your dog sounds a lot like ours.

I have to say, I would advise a dog travel harness, they are not too restrictive they can sit, lay and hang their head out of the window (we never open the window that wide tbh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM

972 posts, read 1,246,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
hi
we would like to go to florida to introduce our new baby to family. leaving the dog is not an option (duh).

we used to drive to florida, but now have a 6 month old baby ... it sounds like terrible and dangerous. to put it in perspective a 5 hour drive takes us 7 hours and is very tiring. dog is 4 and a bit skiddish. however she loves the car.

we can either 1) not go, 2) i drive with the dog, and my wife flies with the baby or 3) we all go in the plane together.

we are worried mainly about traumatizing the dog i guess.

we have airplane crates from my sister.
Flying with a baby is no picnic either - you have to lug soooo much gear, the air pressure hurts their ears, changing a diaper is not easy on a plane, and what if you are delayed on the tarmac? Plus, you have to arrive so early, that you need to ask your self if flying is really quicker?

We had to get over the mind set to get places as fast as possible. Instead, we look at the drive someplace as part of the trip and stop at fun places along the way. Yes, it takes longer, but we all arrive happy and our family has seen many things we would have otherwise missed.

Another trick we used is to drive at night when all the kids and dogs would sleep.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM

5,049 posts, read 8,159,527 times
I wouldn't drive. The reason babies up to the age of 2 are free as lap babies on planes is to encourage parents to not drive since you are more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash. It's not at all safe to hold a baby on a plane, but it's far worse in the car which is why the airlines don't charge for lap babies. I wouldn't put my infant at risk simply because you want your dog to come along.

You said so yourself, the dog is skiddish. What if she is scared of all the new people at your destination and bites someone? If she's nervous to begin with, a long car ride or plane ride is probably not a great idea. Do yourself a favor and find a local pet sitter you can trust. Traveling with an infant is no picnic, why add stress to that by bringing a dog along?

And I'm just curious, so you guys won't travel anywhere without the dog? No trips to the Caribbean or Europe then until the dog is no longer with you? I love my dogs, in fact some might say I'm obsessed with them..but I also love to travel and that's just crazy to me!

And the fully reclined seat? Illegal in the US. The only way to get a seat like that is when you have a preemie that needs to be fully reclined. They are not safe, there is a reason car seats are at an angle. You'll have a very seriously injured baby if you are in a crash and he's in that seat!

Last edited by MAK802; 01-15-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 09:15 AM

268 posts, read 342,461 times
Ive travelled by air and by car with my ( now full grown ) babies and I would prefer driving.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM

19,710 posts, read 15,452,939 times
I remember flying with our babies in the early 90's and the airlines suggested or mandated (i Forget) that we bring car seats for the kids, if you opt for flying you may want to check the airlines policy on car seats on the plane,is it mandatory or optional and does it cost extra?.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM

5,049 posts, read 8,159,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I remember flying with our babies in the early 90's and the airlines suggested or mandated (i Forget) that we bring car seats for the kids, if you opt for flying you may want to check the airlines policy on car seats on the plane,is it mandatory or optional and does it cost extra?.
It's absolutely not mandatory. That would require purchasing a seat for the baby, and most people fly because lap babies (until 2 on most airlines) are free. If they had to pay a fare for the baby, I'm sure more people would drive.

The whole argument is that it's still safer to have a lap baby on a plane vs. a baby on a long car trip. More people die in car crashes than plane.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 4,004,884 times
I'd only fly if I could take the dog in cabin with me...2 years ago, my mother and I flew to Boston to visit family, and her little dog was an excellent traveler...no issues whatsoever, as long as he could see us he felt safe. We unzipped just enough of the top of the carrier for him to be able to stick his head out, and wheeling him down the aisle of the plane was hilarious...he was smiling like it was the most exciting thing in the world, and everyone he passed was oohing and ahhing, petting him as he rolled on through...he was like a little superstar and he ate up every minute of it ! In all honesty, having him there kept me MUCH calmer than I would normally be flying...I get really anxious and feel really claustrophobic on planes, but seeing that cute little face and knowing I had to protect him was enough of a diversion to keep me sane, LOL !

If the dog's too big to go in-cabin, I'd drive...I just really don't like the whole pets in cargo thing, I think it would be pretty traumatizing, especially if it's an older dog who's never had to go through it before and is used to having his humans with him most of the time.

Good luck, whatever you decide, I hope you all have a wonderful time !

Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,523,717 times
I will only take my dogs on the plane under the seat...which frankly one is too big for that. If cargo is the only option, they stay home or we drive from point A to point B. I don't feel comfortable having my animals in Cargo no matter what time of year. It is scary, and unsafe.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM

6,109 posts, read 5,080,570 times
You could rent a van or SUV so you could put the dog in a crate in the back. It might make things simpler and the dog will probably sleep for most of the trip.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:58 PM

17,380 posts, read 14,544,585 times
Nope, not a chance. If my dog were appropriately sized to fly in the cabin, maaaaaybe...but not likely. But he's not, so he'd be in cargo, and there's just no way.

We drive 95% of our trips for this reason...the few times we do have to fly, he gets boarded. When we drive, he rides in the back of the Jeep (which we got specifically so we could travel with a pet with ease), and there's a pet barrier to keep him from coming up front (but when we got him, we realized he's done a lot of car-riding...he doesn't typically even try to come up front).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs