U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 AM

221 posts, read 806,581 times

Advertisements

Well I have had such a bad two weeks. I have a dog thats 15 and Im having daily panic attacks and aniety knowing its the end of life for him. Don't get me wrong. He still will eat, goes outside by himself and does get excited when I come home from work but I can tell he is really slowing down. He has a real bad heart and mostly he sleeps. But Im obcessed with him. If he has a day that he sleeps alot I think thisg is it hes done. THen he has his good day and he is up alot and excited to see me and I feel ok he is fine. My husband thinks im crazy and said just leave him alone and let him live out his days and stop thinking everyday is his last. I think I almost gave him a heart attack today because he was outside and I went to see where he was and I scared him and he jumpted in two feet of snow. The time I got to him he is crying and I picked him up and he was all limp. Of course I said this is it he is having a heart attack. I know I know I need to see a councelor. Anyone else having a hard time coping with a aging pet. Thanks for your time Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,447,611 times
I worry, and have worried in the past, as my 2 cats now are older. The 1 is acting like my other one that passed in February. There was actually one time where I actually kept nudging her because she didn't move and I almost thought she had died. I have a dog now that is half way through his life. He is my life. I try not to think about it too much, I just know that I need to smother them with love an extra time or two more than I already do. It's never easy for me to see any of my pets getting "old", but I have to remember that I've had others that never made it to "old" which makes me grateful for all the years.

Try to enjoy the time you have left with your boy. Easier said than done, I know. Maybe take him for a car ride once a week, or do something he really use to enjoy, visit a friend. Go to the park, sit on a bench and watch the people go by. I'm sure he'll get lots of extra attention there.

My heart aches for you. You are not alone in how you feel.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
I do know how you feel, and it's natural to worry. Our animals' time with us is so short. Do try not to make yourself sick about it. And try to keep positive and upbeat around your dog so your stress doesn't get passed along to him. Flking fan is right, try to have some special times with him when he's having a good day. Maybe write down some of your favorite memories of him to keep. He may surprise you and hang in there longer than you think. He may not. Just appreciate each day with him as it comes, and take comfort in the good long life you've given him.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:00 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,236 times
You are not alone by any means. I also have seniors one of mine has a heart condition and any change in his behavior and I am all over it checking on him every 5 minutes. Probably he is thinking "leave me alone woman I'm ok I just changed sleeping spots". In fact last night he jumped off the bed and went into the couch to sleep which he never does. So yours truly was up every hr. checking on him. Your older doggie will sleep alot and slow down quite a bit. Just enjoy him treasure every day he is with you. Try not to panic or worry when you see he is doing something he normally doesn't do or changes in his behavior. I know that is easier said than done. Like flkingfan said find things that the two of you enjoy together. Even simple things can be memory makers. Just remember there are some really wonderful and caring people here that either have been through this or are going through this now with a senior pupper. Any questions or concerns or worries or just to vent bring it here we are all here to help, give advice or just listen. Hugs to you and your senior.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:22 PM

221 posts, read 806,581 times
Thanks everyone for your support. I know I will worry myself to death over him. I just can't help it, Thats the type of person I am. I have to just take day by day and enjoy everyday instead of wondering is this the last. Geez im not getting any younger either. I hate to see what im going to think when I get old. I will have myself dead and buried before my time!! It nice to know people out there feel the way I do about there animals.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,298,708 times
I too know what your going through. I did the same thing with one of our males. I would walk into where ever he was just to see if he was breathing, sometimes it didn't look like he was and I would call his name and if he didn't answer right away then I would get that awful rush of fear running through me. My biggest fear at the time was coming home from work and he'd be gone. From the time when we thought he was getting close to the end to when we did lose him was about a year and a 1/2.

My heart goes out to you. Your not alone.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM

13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
I only have senior dogs, although I did have my original two puppies, who lived to 11 and 13.
I agree with OP's husband, let the old guy live out his days, prepare yourself that his days are short, and there will be a day where he won't wake up or he will obviously need your help to die a painless death.
It is certainly a lesson on living in the present. He's alive now and pay full attention when you pet him, look at him, love him. He lives in the moment. We can learn from that.
One poster here most kindly wrote to me, "It is an act of grace to give a loved one a peaceful death."

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,175,929 times
Everyone has given some great advice here.
I have been in your shoes many times, one not long ago.
It can be frustrating, you just want to do what is best.
Try to think of the fun times you were able to have.
Just take it one day at a time.
Sending lots of HUGS.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:37 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,156,783 times
I'm sorry you're having a hard time - all of us who treasure our beloved pets rue the day we have to make the hard choice to let them go and the even harder one knowing "when."

I read on another dog forum to choose your pets favorite THREE things and if they are still doing those things, the quality of life is still good. If not, then it's likely the quality of life is not good and maybe time to love them enough to say goodbye.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

173 posts, read 479,332 times
Enjoy every day, every minute, every second. While it is so very very hard when they get old there are also very special. Don't miss a single moment. I wish for happy moments for you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs