Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times

Advertisements

My neighbor on my right bought a dog about 10 month's ago for his son, who left for college five month's ago. This is their first dog. There are two other boys twins ages 15, which I have reason to believe could not care less for the dog.

The dog was recently given a haircut by the boy who owns it, when he came home from college during the Xmas holidays. Last night, temperatures were 32 degrees, and the backyard has the snow content of two major storms. A good 20 inches of snow are on the ground. The puppy was let out at 6p and barked until 8.06p., when it was brought in. The mother came home at 12midnight, and the father, whom I believe does not care for the dog either, was home.

We are about 20 feet from their house, the next neighbor on their right is about the same distance, plus they have a back neighbor. Throughout the years, they have been the best of neighbors, well-educated and extremely helpful to us. But is breaking my heart to see how this puppy is being treated. I have heard the boys pushing the dog away from them, and scolding the dog very loud. And during the humid, scorching 90plus summer heat the dog is left out to make for longs period of time. Easily can get a stroke.

We cannot confront them because that may end our relationship. Do you think if we mail them a letter anonymously it may work. In this way, they do not know which neighbor did it. And calling the dog authorities is not a wise move, nor it would be calling the police.

Do you think we maybe overreacting? My spouse feels the same way.

Your prompt consideration to this matter is greatly appreciated, and we thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:37 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Tough situation--but you're not overreacting. it's a little life that's suffering. And obviously, well-educated doesn't equal well-informed or caring. I personally find anonymous letters to be an abomination--a lack of moral backbone. That doesn't mean no situation could ever arise where such a letter might be appropriate. You know your neighbor--it might work. But think about if they start asking around who sent the letter--would you want to lie to their faces? Or 'fess up and feel embarrassed?

Here's what I might do--if you can step up to the plate: approach them and tell them they've been so helpful in the past, so now you're wondering if you might be of any help with the "puppy situation." Tell them you're so close you can't help noticing that it looks/sounds (!) like their busy schedule (!) leaves little time for the dog now that Sonny is away at college. Tell them it may be none of your business, but you'd like to be of help if you can. Offer to walk the poor dog or take it to a dog park once a week, or something. Help them find a dog walker, if you can't spend the time. The whole point is for it to be a wake-up call to the family that their neighbors know their dog is being neglected. But in a friendly way.

I'd be curious to read other opinions. There must be a number of nonconfrontational ways to handle this. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Well if your concerned about being involved since you do have to live next door I'd be calling animal control...they are supposed to be anonymous, not like they get to confront their accusor. In my neighborhood I'd never confront the neighbors - I call the cops/animal control.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I think CFF is right on target. Try to strike up a friendly conversation about the dog, and then try to work in suggestions about care thebest you can. Their reaction to what you say will let you know if you need to call animal control or humane investigators. (And BTW, I don't think doing so is tantamount to sentencing the dog to death as has been suggested on another thread. Not in most areas anyway and certainly not if there is a shelter you can call that does rescues of neglected animals.)
Both my dogs came from the shelter where I volunteer. One is a pit bull that animal control picked up as a stray. The other was seized from a backyard where she and another dog were tied up starving. Both had been up for adoption for a couple of months before I broke down and brought them home.

Last edited by subject2change; 01-16-2011 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
My neighbor on my right bought a dog about 10 month's ago for his son, who left for college five month's ago. This is their first dog. There are two other boys twins ages 15, which I have reason to believe could not care less for the dog.

The dog was recently given a haircut by the boy who owns it, when he came home from college during the Xmas holidays. Last night, temperatures were 32 degrees, and the backyard has the snow content of two major storms. A good 20 inches of snow are on the ground. The puppy was let out at 6p and barked until 8.06p., when it was brought in. The mother came home at 12midnight, and the father, whom I believe does not care for the dog either, was home.

We are about 20 feet from their house, the next neighbor on their right is about the same distance, plus they have a back neighbor. Throughout the years, they have been the best of neighbors, well-educated and extremely helpful to us. But is breaking my heart to see how this puppy is being treated. I have heard the boys pushing the dog away from them, and scolding the dog very loud. And during the humid, scorching 90plus summer heat the dog is left out to make for longs period of time. Easily can get a stroke.

We cannot confront them because that may end our relationship. Do you think if we mail them a letter anonymously it may work. In this way, they do not know which neighbor did it. And calling the dog authorities is not a wise move, nor it would be calling the police.

Do you think we maybe overreacting? My spouse feels the same way.

Your prompt consideration to this matter is greatly appreciated, and we thank you.
Call animal control. They can come out and talk to the people, and try and educate them without giving any names. OR, if you have a good relationship you could try to educate them yourself without condemning them or making them feel defensive. Perhaps, offer to help train the pup and direct them to some good websites such as the Leerburg site where they can get a wealth of information.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I have to say, my cousin was excellent at this. She is not normally tactful either; so not sure how she managed it.

BUT, she convinced her neighbor on one side of her to re-home their large, collie dog; that they kept outside in a small fenced yard - with no interaction whatsoever. I would say she knew them pretty well and was on friendly terms with them before she started her campaign.

She started with offering to walk the dog for them from time to time and progressed to . . your dog needs more than what you are able to give right now. Let me help you. (This was an older, but not really elderly, couple.

She knew a couple that had a farm that was looking for a larger dog and somehow convinced the older couple to relinquish the dog. It worked out great.

I'll try and get specifics from her on exactly the steps she took and what she said. Because they are all still friends.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
There was a dog in our neighborhood that was all but abandoned by its owners. They were rarely home.

I approached another neighbor who employed at the same company with the dog owner. Since she knew them, I figured a 'talk' would be better coming from her.

She approached them and asked permission to walk their dog from time to time because it was left locked up in their house sometimes for days on end.

Then one day, she just kept the dog and made it her family pet. The origional owners never came looking for the dog, never even asked about the dog.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Well if your concerned about being involved since you do have to live next door I'd be calling animal control...they are supposed to be anonymous, not like they get to confront their accusor. In my neighborhood I'd never confront the neighbors - I call the cops/animal control.
Good advice.

If you have any kind of Relationship with these people, one would think that you with a great deal of diplomacy might be able to talk to them. The KEY word is Relationship.

Have you thought about adopting the dog from them? - it seems that it is unwelcome Guest where it is now.

Best Wishes with this unhappy situation for the Dog.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
It depends on your animal control. If the dog has shelter and blah blah they may not see a problem. Do not give them your name or number, because they may just tell the neighbor who called. I called them once, since my neighbors animals were here being destructive and she told him it was me so then he got in my face and threatened me. I did not respond nicely and we have not spoken since. I could careless as long as his animals stay home.

I agree with Clark, and if that fails talk to the oldest son and tell him that while he is gone you do not think the dog is getting the attention it deserves and can he take it with him or find it a temp home with a friend till he can have the dog full time. Just do not accuse his family of being abusive, just lacking in time and attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs