U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,950,302 times

Advertisements

Here are several pictures of our Pearl (tri colored dog) and Jersey Blue (red colored dog).

We sought Pearl out because she was a border collie mix. We wondered is she was a border collie/shepherd mix or a border collie/golden mix. What do you think? Yes, Pearl is tall, but she only weighs 56lbs. There are tall border collies around here in Oklahoma, so it didn't seem odd. I always joked she obtained her height from me, since she is my baby.

To us, Jersey Blue seemed to be an obvious shepherd mix. Being that again we are from Oklahoma we thought he could be mixed with lab. I even dared to say a little Rhodesian Ridgeback. Jersey Blue weighs 77lbs.

HINT~Pearl is half pure breed. One of her parents is a full breed all the way back to Pearl's great grandparents on that parent's side.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Dog DNA Results-dpg.jpeg   Our Dog DNA Results-dpg3.jpeg   Our Dog DNA Results-jb2.jpg   Our Dog DNA Results-pearl.jpg   Our Dog DNA Results-pearl2.jpg  

Our Dog DNA Results-pearl6.jpg   Our Dog DNA Results-jb-.jpg   Our Dog DNA Results-pearl7.jpg   Our Dog DNA Results-jb6.jpg  

Last edited by Amazonchix; 01-20-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Jersey Blue's DNA Results

OK...I'm encountering a few issues. I scanned in the DNA results document in but CD is saying the file size is too big. DM me if you know how I can fix this. Thx!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Jersey Blue's & Pearl's DNA Results

Since I can't figure how to get the scanned DNA results documents to be accepted by CD, I will simply tell you what they said. We were surprised by both results, more so with our male.

As for Jersey Blue (male), the DNA test was able to identify 4 pure breed great grandparents (two on his paternal side and two on the maternal side so to speak). One one parent side, he had a pure breed Samoyed great grandparent that mated with a mixed breed. While the other two great grandparents on that same side were a pure breed Chow Chow and the other was a mixed breed. So on one parent side, Jersey had a Chow Chow/Samoyed mix parent. Now the other four great grandparents on his other parent side were a pure breed Great Pyrenees that mated to a mixed breed. While the other great grandparent was a pure breed Shetland Sheepdog that mated to a mixed breed. So on this side of the family, Jersey's other parent was a
Great Pyrenees/Shetland Sheepdog mix, making him 1/8 Great Pyrenees, 1/8 Shetland Sheepdog, 1/8 Samoyed, 1/8 Chow Chow with the rest of him being comprised of mixed breeds. One of our friends said it best, "he's such a great dog with so many wonderful attributes that I could never isolate to any specific breed." He's our most mutted up dog and we think that's what makes his temperament and behavior top notch (lol)!

Now Pearl (female) on the other hand...she had one parent that was a full breed Australian Shepherd all the way back to all four of Pearl's great grandparents on that side. While on Pearl's other side of the family, the only breed picked up was one great grandparent that was Cocker Spaniel (and there was an astrix stated that was in low confidence) that mated with a mixed breed and her other two great grandparents were mixed breeds that the test could not pick up. So Pearl is 1/2 Aussie, 1/8 Cocker Spaniel (in low confidence) and the rest is mixed breed.

Reading up on Aussies I can see where their temperament and behavior traits are practically similar to border collies. We knew she was probably on one generation removed from a full breed line because her
temperament and behavior traits are strong to herding dogs.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
fascinating!!

now i am more tempted than ever to test my bailey and dave.......

Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,860,839 times
So we finally did the Wisdom Panel test on Winnie, the 1 year old dog we rescued (that's a whole long story).

Lessons learned thus far:

1. Swabbing the inside of a psychotic yapping, chomping, barking, shreiking dog's cheek is neither fun, nor easy.

2. 15 seconds is a rrrreeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy long time when you are swabbing the inside of a psychotic yapping, chomping, barking, shreiking dog's cheek.

3. After you accomplish that feat, you have do do it all over again with the second swab(!)

4. If you have a house full of cats, and their hair gets everywhere, and your psychotic dog needs to constantly chew on a huge beef femur just to be reasonably calm and not shreiking and biting, there is a strong chance that the dog DNA test will come back 50% cow and 50% domestic house cat.

5. Human blood can stain the fur on a white dog, and is hard to get out, even with oxyclean.

Well, we popped it in the mail, so in 3 weeks, I'll have results, which I'll post, along with a picture.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
So we finally did the Wisdom Panel test on Winnie, the 1 year old dog we rescued (that's a whole long story).

Lessons learned thus far:

1. Swabbing the inside of a psychotic yapping, chomping, barking, shreiking dog's cheek is neither fun, nor easy.

2. 15 seconds is a rrrreeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy long time when you are swabbing the inside of a psychotic yapping, chomping, barking, shreiking dog's cheek.

3. After you accomplish that feat, you have do do it all over again with the second swab(!)

4. If you have a house full of cats, and their hair gets everywhere, and your psychotic dog needs to constantly chew on a huge beef femur just to be reasonably calm and not shreiking and biting, there is a strong chance that the dog DNA test will come back 50% cow and 50% domestic house cat.

5. Human blood can stain the fur on a white dog, and is hard to get out, even with oxyclean.

Well, we popped it in the mail, so in 3 weeks, I'll have results, which I'll post, along with a picture.

i sure hope there are pictures..... of the dog at minimum.... bonus points if of the swabbing process......

Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM

I could never compare it to the woman who had to give her cat an enema (another thread) but this was pretty close!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM

We've uploaded each dog's pictures to the Wisdom "photo gallery" and then Wisdom includes each dog's results...which is a cleaned up version of what I rattled in a long post. If you get bored, you may find it interesting as I have to look at the other pictures and the corresponding results.

Pearl - Wisdom Panel
http://www.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/5914.html
http://www.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/5913.html

Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 AM

TracySam~Your dog must be in a "special baby" classification all of his own (lol)! I can recall a few of your humorous stories regarding him, but your written description above had me laughing out loud!

FYI, use peroxide to get blood out of clothing, off of fur and carpet! It's a miracle worker for blood removal.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Chix, This is a second dog. The original psychotic dog is Shermyn, our Welsh Corgi. We still have him, and he is still hyper and demanding.

But we rescued a little dog, Winnie, in September, and she makes Sherm look like an angel.

Long story, but she was a stray and was run over by a hit & run driver right in front of my boyfriend. Local animal control came to the scene and said they'd take her to be euthanized, but he and I decided to take her to the vet emergency center to see if she was "fixable." We decided if she was young, and had a good prognosis, we'd pay for her care. If she was old, and had a poor prognosis or was suffering excessively, we have her put down. Turns out she was just under a year old, and though her pelvis has to be bolted/pinned/scewed back together, she had no organ damage or other injuries.

Went thru 2 surgeries and several months of healing and follow-up care, (totalling about $6,000 all together) and now she's physically doing great. But mentally....well, now we think someone ran her over on purpose! Part of it, we hope, is that she's still very much a puppy and never had any training. But we're considering exorcism....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or