U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,474,354 times

Advertisements

Are these dogs really hyper or does the owner take the blame for such unruly behaviour??

I was visiting someone and one of them got super excited and jumped on to the recliner I was sitting on and rammed into my face, cut my upper lip and it bled like crazy. I am not even sure if I wanna see a dentist and check if my left upper canine is really shaking or not

What irks me even more is the person pretending like it's no big deal, that I'm a big boy and the wound will heal. And getting told that the dog loves me and that's why it jumped on me. LMAO. At least the impact didn't knock my teeth out. The dog simply leaped on to my face head on, and as I was bleeding and writhing in pain, it was licking my neck and ears like crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 PM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
vizsla are alot like wimeriners, they are high strung High energy breed who needs a firm but kind owner and ALOT of excersize.

in this case though it sounds like a training issue.

while the breed can make training a little harder and as a breed they can be a little more "jumpy" the attitude of the dogs owner says everything...this dog obviously hasnt had any structured training which is a MUST in all dogs but especially gun dogs who can be a little hyper in display. it doesnt matter how much the dog likes you uninvited jumping and exhuberant greetings are NOT appropriate in any size dog and the dogs owner needs to take responsibility for not properly training the dog.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,697,337 times
It is all a training issue. They are high energy and need activities that keep them occupied. They need a lot of land and really need to be crated as they get destructive when you are not home for a while. They just get really bored and love to be challenged. I am not sure that they are the smartest dogs but they are very sweet and like most big dogs not aware of their size. The problem is that most people who get them don't realize what kind of dog they are getting until after they add it. This is definitely not an apartment dog just like its cousin the Weimerainer.

Regardless, it sounds like your friend is an irresponsible owner to think of the event as a nonchalant one. It sounds like they really need to give that dog a lot more exercise and structure. Poor dog!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,474,354 times
Did I mention other things??

I hadn't seen them in a while, so I get the "they love me" part.

My overcoat got bitten. My gloves were pulled out instantly and my pants were soiled in seconds. And getting licked is fine, what is not fine is feeling the dog's strong feet as it mauls you. It's a well grown dog, all three of them.

She always brags about how her dogs win all dog competitions and how pro-active they are. I felt like I was in a wrestling match before I fled the house with a cut lip. And I came back into my car and was like, "Holy Fricking Craparoni"

Along the line, she could see my tribulations herself and she told me to hold her collar. I did, and frankly, if I had held the collar tight, the dog would have got garotted and died. Despite my trying to hold the collar, it was simply out of control.

She just says it's their natural self, very active dogs. I had a feeling it was an owner problem.

This is the best part:

"No way, I think I'm bleeding"

"No you're not, you're such a kidder, she kissed you"

I put my hand up and show her blood. And she goes, "maybe your lips are dried, did you chap them??"

I was like, WHAAAAAT.

Then she saw more bleeding and that convinced her. Geez. And then she goes on to say it will be fine. That no way it's a bite. That her dogs are well injected and disease free. Did I just get scourged by the Petstapo?!?!?!?! LOL

Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
aboslulty 100% an owner problem!
sounds like she likes to talk big game, but when it comes down to it has no idea how to handle her dogs.

it doesnt mater what the breed, theres some behaviours that are unacceptable and as the owner it should have been HER taking the collar and removing the dog from the situation, its not your job to disaplin or calm her dogs...she should have been able to get the dog under control or removed the dog from the situation the moment it began to escalate.

im sorry you had such an experience, they are amazing dogs in the right hands.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM

17,110 posts, read 12,422,778 times
Vizsla's are sporting dogs. They require lots of exercise - if they are undisciplined and hyper that is the owners fault. Period. It sounds as if they are not being trained properly or exercised adequately. That's unfortunate. They are great dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs