U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times

Advertisements

Also, for it to be the 4th ingredient, surrounded by grains, this product doesn't have nearly enough meat products, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 324 times
Once a week is WAY to much to bathe a dog. When I was younger we would bathe our dog every week and she got really itchy. Whenever we would try to play with her, she would stop and itch herself. I would recommend once a month or every other week, at the max, and only if she rolls in something really nasty.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 2,771,359 times
So much depends on the dog. I have several close friends with huge labs. Oily protective coats, great diets, healthy, active outdoors, but you always know they're close by. One of many reasons I like Australian cattledogs is their lack of dog smell. I think I've given my ACD a bath once in 8 years and it was because of a heavenly pile of bear pucky. Thank doG she doesn't select spawned out dying salmon!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-20-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Yup it depends on the breed as some with oily coats will have that doggy odor even a few days after a bath.
My dogs live in the house with me but do a lot of hiking and playing outside and going to the beach and they do not even get a bath per year as usually the only time I bathe them is if they get into something smelly as They do not stink, Even when they are wet they really do not have that "wet dog" smell which is good cause they are wet a lot at the beach and on the drive home.

If they get muddy I will towel them off let what remains dry then brush it out. They eat a balanced raw diet and have healthy skin and glossy coats. Even my prior dogs who ate a good quality grain free kibble mixed with canned food and veggies had healthy skin and glossy coats, so much that my vet asked me what I used to bathe them. I laughed and said they have not had a bath in over 2 years it is what they eat. Jazz who was part cattle dog actually had a very pleasant odor to her as people would be petting her and suddenly ask what do you bathe her with she smells so good?

I think some people over bathe dogs and that strips the coat of essential oils needed for healthy skin and coats as it dries the skin out then they develop skin issues.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 982,982 times
Inside during fall/winter - I actually can't remember ever giving a dog a bath in the winter. Ever.

Outside during spring/summer - about once a month or if they find something to roll in.

Once my border collie mix decided to "herd" a skunk. I came to realize this had happened when I heard an angry cat yowl, followed swiftly by the wafting perfume of Skunk aroma.

The dog was so fast she got around and away from the spraying end of the skunk, but an unfortunate cat was caught in the stink-stream.

I do, however, regularly brush my dogs and feed them middlin' good dog food.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,191,103 times
Default Baths

My Malti-poop (as my friend's granddaughter calls him) gets bathed when he starts smelling like fritos.... don't know what it is that makes him smell like that - I cook for him - brown rice, chicken thighs & breast meat, carrots, egg, green beans, a little butter and some shredded cheese... also about 4 days after he gets his Advantage Multi treatment.... I can smell that stuff like it is on my skin. He will let me rub him down with the doggy wipes if he's wet stinky.... he hates water (though gets excited when we are in Florida and I tell him to look at "Auntie Ann's river" he knows where he is and loves going to their house). He's tolerant of me washing his feet if they're muddy or dirty - but thats all tolerant!

Old 05-27-2018, 12:52 PM

8,131 posts, read 11,038,023 times
My pit bull mix has had TWO baths in 15 years. Some short haired dogs are like cats. Always licking themselves.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:21 AM

1,929 posts, read 1,862,701 times
I only bathe my dog 2-3 times a year. I don't find that she needs more than that. But then she is a house pet and her only outdoors time is on leashed walks in the park or on her tie out in the yard for an hour or so.

Too much bathing can create dander. Could also be due to not rinsing thoroughly. It can be hard to get all of the soap out of a dense coat. Maybe make some of your bathes jsut a good rinse with no shampoo and only do the sampoo bath once a month.

The horrrid breath is likely a dental problem and not so much about the consumption of horse poo. Bathing will never help. Possibly giving the dog a raw bone to chew from time to time will help clean up the teeth but you may need a vetervetinary exam in case there is a more serious dental issue going on.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 AM

31,274 posts, read 19,739,850 times
We bathe them when they smell, which could range from twice a month to every few months.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM

3,918 posts, read 2,554,134 times
Different dogs can need different bathing schedules. Both mine eat high quality grain-free food but of my GSDs needs a bath every two weeks, the other once a month. They also seem to need baths more frequently in the summer than winter. Generally, I would say once a month is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or