U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,804,608 times

Advertisements

Can you determine a dog's intent by where it bites another dog? For example, if two dogs are having a tussle for dominance, and one bites the other on the lip, is it less worrisome than one dog biting the other on the chest? Is the chest bite more of an attempt to disable rather than dominate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,229,000 times
If they are not puppies and if it is not play, it is aggression. If you have two dogs fighting each other you need to seperate them and address their aggression through obedeince training.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,417,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If they are not puppies and if it is not play, it is aggression. If you have two dogs fighting each other you need to seperate them and address their aggression through obedeince training.
I agree. Dogs have excellent control over the force and pressure applied by their jaws and a bite that breaks the skin is what I would call "with intent". That's a problem that needs to be addressed and trying to assign severity based on anatomical location is probably splitting hairs to a fault.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,029,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I agree. Dogs have excellent control over the force and pressure applied by their jaws and a bite that breaks the skin is what I would call "with intent". That's a problem that needs to be addressed and trying to assign severity based on anatomical location is probably splitting hairs to a fault.
I totally agree. If you've got aggressive dogs, deal with them and stop worrying about how serious they are about hurting the other dog.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:40 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,189,829 times
While I would not be concerned about intent I would be concerned about if the dog is lacking bite inhibition. Sometimes in play you have a dog that lacks this and he may bite too hard and injure another dog without it being a full blown aggression issue. This is why it is very impportnat for dogs not to be taken from their litters too early. They learn bite inhibition from their littermates and even their mom.

You can teach bite inhibition and to me it is one of the # 1 things all dogs should be taught. If I was teaching an odedience class I would include this topic as I see it as that important.

My Jazz had fear aggression and if pushed she would launch herself at a dog that would not get out of her face and what appeared to be a fight that looked very frightening would occur: However,Jazz had fantastic bite inhibition and there was never a mark left on another dog. She however did recieve a few minor bites that broke skin

Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,804,608 times
It isn't my dog, it belongs to a neighbor. My dog bit another dog on the lip while being introduced (possible adoption) about a year ago, but never bit before or since. I don't think she has any aggression issues, but does try to show dominance around younger dogs.

My neighbor's dog bit the dog of another friend yesterday. This dog does seem somewhat aggressive, as in he will charge down the hill from his house if anybody walks by, and has targeted this other dog in particular three times in two weeks. I understand a bit of growling, I was just concerned because this dog went for the chest (close to the throat), that it was more than a desire to show dominance, if that makes sense.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,832 times
Hi friend,
Bring the expert opinion into the case as soon as possible. Besides educating yourself about aggressive behavior in dogs and reading any books or articles written by the opposing expert, the expert can make sure that all necessary questions about the dog's behavior are asked.

Thanks
Hans luckee

Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM

10,837 posts, read 14,864,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Can you determine a dog's intent by where it bites another dog? For example, if two dogs are having a tussle for dominance, and one bites the other on the lip, is it less worrisome than one dog biting the other on the chest? Is the chest bite more of an attempt to disable rather than dominate?
I delivered for Pizza Hut for 14 years.
I got bitten one time in over 6000 deliveries.

Here is the rule I go by, and it has proven true, over and over.

If they are wagging their tail while they are barking and you are near them, no fear.
If their tail is not wagging, you need to be concerned.

If you see two dogs fighting and they are confined together, call animal control. We had a case here, where the two dogs would fight and cause serious wounds to each other. AC had to use force to remove one of them. The dog owner, fought like an alligator.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,417,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I delivered for Pizza Hut for 14 years.
I got bitten one time in over 6000 deliveries.

Here is the rule I go by, and it has proven true, over and over.

If they are wagging their tail while they are barking and you are near them, no fear.
If their tail is not wagging, you need to be concerned.

If you see two dogs fighting and they are confined together, call animal control. We had a case here, where the two dogs would fight and cause serious wounds to each other. AC had to use force to remove one of them. The dog owner, fought like an alligator.
To take that a step farther, a dog that is making a lot of noise really wants you to go away more than anything. A dog that wants a piece of your backside is running as fast as he can and isn't making any noise.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,012,614 times
A dog will bite the other anywhere the opportunity arises, what determines an aggressive bite as opposed to a defense bite is the circumstances surrounding the fight. ie the attacking dog approaching the defensive dog or the playful dog approaching an aggressive dog.

If a dog demonstrates aggression on sight of other dogs even before the fight, you have potentially a dog aggressive dog. Sometimes you hear people say "he can be funny with other dogs" imo this is defensive dog, the other dog poses a possible threat.

Dog language/communcation is very complex. My rule of thumb is I keep my dog leashed until the greeting has been successful both dogs are happy then with the permission of the other owner I will let him off his leash.

Jimboburnsey : To take that a step farther, a dog that is making a lot of noise really wants you to go away more than anything. A dog that wants a piece of your backside is running as fast as he can and isn't making any noise.

I agree with this first part of your post, although I have had dogs approach us and then they start making noises and a fight has ensued.

The second part of your post is not necessarily true, I have had GSDs, Rotties and a Boxer running towards us like the wind with no noise. On each occasion I have lifted my dog (I don't want vets bills). On each occasion the dogs have been very friendly and I have put my dog down and they have played like puppies.

However a dog not making any noise coming calmly towards me are the ones I watch like a hawk, nothing in their body language suggests friendly, happy, playful. I can usually stop these type of dogs using a firm stay command raising my arm out full stretch hand held vertical.

I was in a situation with three dogs unknown to me I knew I had one on my right which I stopped, I then noticed one was running to close the distance then slowed down, I gave him a stay command too when I noticed the third on my left. They worked together like a pack of wild dogs, slowly closing in as I took my eyes off one to stop the other etc., etc.. I was very inexperienced at the time and all three dogs attacked mine dog who was only a four months old. Once attacked his back end, one attacked his belly and the other dog attacked his head.

I have since been in a situation with two dogs and sucessfully protected my dog, by heading for a fence I stood in front of my dog with him closest to the fence and I was then able to keep them away from him even though they were trying to attack from each side.

The one thing that makes my blood boil is that my dog is on the lead, these incidents happen because the other dogs have been off lead with poor or no recall skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs