U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,367,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Any updates on Bella? How is she doing?
I'm so proud of her. For the most part she is remaining calm and resting. Of course everytime I look at her it seems she's wondering why am I keeping her locked up in a crate but it's probably just me worrying. She is taking her medicine, no problem and eating but not drinking much water. The vet said she would want to drink more water because of the meds but she's not. She is doing "her business" outside so that's a big relief. Hopefully when I take her next week for a follow up, they will tell me good news. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,236 times
So glad to hear that Bella is doing as well as can be expected. It won't be long before she is up to her old self again. I know that you probably feel some relief as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm so proud of her. For the most part she is remaining calm and resting. Of course everytime I look at her it seems she's wondering why am I keeping her locked up in a crate but it's probably just me worrying. She is taking her medicine, no problem and eating but not drinking much water. The vet said she would want to drink more water because of the meds but she's not. She is doing "her business" outside so that's a big relief. Hopefully when I take her next week for a follow up, they will tell me good news. Thank you.
I'm glad she is being such a good patient! I've heard that some dogs don't seem to react to prednisone like most do and drink a lot. I wouldn't worry about it as long as she stays hydrated. As far as the crate, I'm sure mom is spending a lot of time down on the floor with her to keep her company Its sounds like everything is going well. Keep us up on how she (and mom) are doing!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
Quote:

sounds like progress is already occuring.... may be baby steps for now... but baby steps in the right direction.....

Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM

Update: She has been eating, taking care of business outside and being fairly quiet not jumping around. Now today was a bad day. She let out a little whimper this morning when I took her out and then a couple hours ago when I picked her up she screamed. She also laid very quiet today and I can tell she was in pain. I called the vet and they were not in so I couldn't ask if it's normal a week later to have a bad day. I gave her the meds. and now she's laying quiet but I'm afraid to pick her up again. She hasn't been outside since early afternoon. Poor little angel.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,236 times
Quote:
Update: She has been eating, taking care of business outside and being fairly quiet not jumping around. Now today was a bad day. She let out a little whimper this morning when I took her out and then a couple hours ago when I picked her up she screamed. She also laid very quiet today and I can tell she was in pain. I called the vet and they were not in so I couldn't ask if it's normal a week later to have a bad day. I gave her the meds. and now she's laying quiet but I'm afraid to pick her up again. She hasn't been outside since early afternoon. Poor little angel.
The poor baby. I wonder if she might have moved in the wrong direction just a little bit and re-injured her little back. Bless your heart this has to be scary.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,481,055 times
So sorry that she had a bad day with the pain. She probably tweeked it again. If she's laying quiet, I probably wouldn't move her. She'll let you know when she has to go outside. Hope she feels better soon.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 AM

Update: She is much better. She's been trying to jump around in her cage so that's been the only real challenge right now. I'm so proud of how she handled all this, what a sweet, good little girl. She handled it better than me! We just have to make adjustment now of what we allow her and my other dachshund do. Obviously they can't jump off the bed anymore, which is something we can control. Getting her not to jump on and off other furniture, not sure about. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
Quote:
Update: She is much better. She's been trying to jump around in her cage so that's been the only real challenge right now. I'm so proud of how she handled all this, what a sweet, good little girl. She handled it better than me! We just have to make adjustment now of what we allow her and my other dachshund do. Obviously they can't jump off the bed anymore, which is something we can control. Getting her not to jump on and off other furniture, not sure about. Any suggestions?
Get some ramps/ladders for your bed and couch, check with your vet as to which ones would be best - some say ramps some say steps. It will take some time to train her to used them, but in the end it's worth it.

Dog Steps | Pet Steps | Dog Stairs

This is just one example but you can google for a ton more.

Also, ask your vet once she's better about specific exercises to strengthen her back muscles that will help hold her spine. I'm sure your vet has told you to keep your dog very lean and not over weight to help. Also, really check out the links I gave earlier to learn about maintentance of doxie backs.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
Glad she is doing better. It is so harder on us sometimes when they are sick.

I bought steps for my little guys from Dollar General for $20. They aren't real sturdy (heavy cardboard) but they are find for little dogs. My littlest one uses them to get on the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs