U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM

288 posts, read 601,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
OMG Marleys Mom! Have you seen those simple human trash cans? I know some dogs can still get into them, but they are supposed to be dog proof!
I had not heard of them But I am about to google it right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM

175 posts, read 672,598 times
Quote:
My Doberman would get into the trash, so I put a little hot sauce on top and he never touched the trash again.
Yep, tried that too. Lily, the canine Mountain Goat, likes hot sauce too I'm talking will lick it off my fingers

why me...

Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,588,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
you should have seen the day I left her outside when I went to work. Came home, dogs were outside, let them in, noticed candy wrappers on the floor. I think, maybe my boyfriends home early and I missed his car. Walk around, no boyfriend. Then I see an empty pie shell that used to be an entire strawberry pie, I just bought the day before. Thinking, ok either the ghosts got really hungry (my house was built in 1888) or I have a hungry robber in the house. Keep looking to see what else is missing. hmmm, who cleaned out the litter box...yep doggies broke in, ate candy, pie, and kitty poop and then went back outside like nothing ever happened!

That is how I found out she can eat chocolate.

MANY MANY years ago [outside the statute if limitations] my wife and I went to a movie...leaving a large baggie of a "green leafy substance" on the coffee table..returned 2 hours later to find the substance gone and our 75 lb husky whimpering at the refrigerator door....[he had the worst case of munchies Ive ever seen.]

Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
One of my dogs was able to open the refrigerator and I had to take the handles off of it. One night I walked out into the kitchen and my shar-pei was sitting in front of the open refrigerator slowly eyeing the shelves up and down like she was trying to decide what sounded good and the little cocker was standing next to her and her little tail wagging a mile a minute and I could practically hear her in my head, "See if she has any chicken in there."

I'd fostered a lot of JRT's without incident, but one was indicitive of every horrid stereotype trait you can think of. She could actually scale the drawer handles on drawers in the kitchen and get up on the counter. I was in the other room and heard dishes breaking onto the floor - and there she was up on the counter.

With the three I have now I never, ever had an issue with them counter surfing and then all of a sudden it started to happen. My largest dog that could be the only one able to reach the counter never did it before and I couldn't understand why she would start now...until I walked into the kitchen on day and the min-pin had opened this small cupboard door and was standing on the inner shelves...BUSTED!

But dogs love that human scent from clothes from the laundry and I have a dog door and there's nothing more embarassing than having to go out into the back yard to clean up my underwear.

Before I leave the house I have to eyeball canvass everything to make sure there is no way anything can be accessed and anything on the kitchen counter is pushed all the way back to the backsplash.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
MANY MANY years ago [outside the statute if limitations] my wife and I went to a movie...leaving a large baggie of a "green leafy substance" on the coffee table..returned 2 hours later to find the substance gone and our 75 lb husky whimpering at the refrigerator door....[he had the worst case of munchies Ive ever seen.]
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying! That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
For some dogs...it is more about training yourself, rather than the dog. Sort of like child proofing the house...Put things away. Anything on the counter or floor is fair game. Find a very high shelf to put things...Sam was a good dog, but if your back was turned...he thought that he could just get away with bad things, and no one would notice. He was well trained when I was watching him!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
For some dogs...it is more about training yourself, rather than the dog. Sort of like child proofing the house...Put things away. Anything on the counter or floor is fair game. Find a very high shelf to put things...Sam was a good dog, but if your back was turned...he thought that he could just get away with bad things, and no one would notice. He was well trained when I was watching him!
That is exactly what it is. My biggest concern with the foster pups and my most recent addition was chewing through cords plugged into the outlets. I worked with a woman who had two dogs and she ran to the store real quick and when she came home she found one of them dead under the Christmas tree - he had chewed through the cord plugged into the outlet.

I went to use my printer one day and it wouldn't work so I followed the cord and discovered it was chewed into two pieces and thank God it wasn't plugged in.

When I puppy proofed the place I bought some of those plastic curtain rod covers in white to match the baseboards and slipped all the wires for the stereo, television and stuff through them.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 PM

737 posts, read 2,240,752 times
Quote:
Made me smile, thanks.

Our newest addition doesn't get the difference between a dry martini and the water dish, or the pool for that matter. I set down the adult beverage, to throw away another of the hard cover books he ruined and the dry martini was quite literally dry when I returned. Thankfully, I had already consumed most of it and he slept through the night, which has never happened before. Not sure how he felt the next morning, but seemed fine. Hasn't done that since.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
That is exactly what it is. My biggest concern with the foster pups and my most recent addition was chewing through cords plugged into the outlets. I worked with a woman who had two dogs and she ran to the store real quick and when she came home she found one of them dead under the Christmas tree - he had chewed through the cord plugged into the outlet.

I went to use my printer one day and it wouldn't work so I followed the cord and discovered it was chewed into two pieces and thank God it wasn't plugged in.

When I puppy proofed the place I bought some of those plastic curtain rod covers in white to match the baseboards and slipped all the wires for the stereo, television and stuff through them.
Maybe I'm old school but I've never puppy-proofed or child-proofed my home. My kids (human variety) were raised knowing boundries and were supervised until they knew what those boundries were. I've always used the same principles for my dogs and my fosters with excellent results. You can't teach boundries if no boundries are present. It does take patience and repetition but I've found it to be the best and fastest way to train them.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM

288 posts, read 601,274 times
Quote:

LMAO!!!!

OMG that is just too funny!!!!!!

You see, although our dogs drive us crazy with their naughty ways, we can't help but love them and they still make us laugh!!

I came accross an old photo of Marley today, one of his previous "offences" this time though, the evidence gave him away!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs