Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,566 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good basket muzzle?

Lanie the Greyhound mix is obsessed with eating poop. Her own or that of wild animals. We've tried everything to get her to stop, but to no avail. Yesterday she vomited poop in the house, and I've just had it. I can clean up after my dogs, but I can't keep deer poop out of the woods. I wish I had the time to put her on a leash the 20 times per day she asks to go out, but I don't. So, today we've been putting a mesh muzzle on her, and she didn't eat poop!!!! But I would rather buy a basket muzzle, so any recommendations are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
For basket muzzles check the sight hound websites.

For poo eating there are several ways to stop it. There are things you can put in their food but for wildlife poo that won't work (I live rural and feel your pain). I had a corgi that did it and I took a spray bottle with me and spoke a word/sound and sprayed when he did it ... this worked for me but I will tell you it took almost a year to curb that behavior. Also, I changed his diet to a grain free diet, I added pumpkin and other things too. What works for one dog might not work for another, I found a combo of diet change and behavior mod worked for my dog.

Do some research on coprophagia:

Coprophagia in Dogs
Coprophagia in Dogs ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post

Lanie the Greyhound mix is obsessed with eating poop. Her own or that of wild animals. We've tried everything to get her to stop, but to no avail. Yesterday she vomited poop in the house, and I've just had it. I can clean up after my dogs, but I can't keep deer poop out of the woods. I wish I had the time to put her on a leash the 20 times per day she asks to go out, but I don't. So, today we've been putting a mesh muzzle on her, and she didn't eat poop!!!! But I would rather buy a basket muzzle, so any recommendations are appreciated.
I understand your frustration. Habits involving food sources (and to her poop is a food source) are some of the hardest to break. Have you tried redirection? It would take some time and patience but would be a more permanent solution over using a muzzle. DM me if you'd like some tips on how to use this training technique for Lanie.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,483 times
You need to go out with her in order to try and stop the behavior.

Finn, my Corgi does the same thing when he goes out, he goes after every kind of poop, and just about everything else he can find, except dog poop. He knows leave it and drop it. When we go out I have to keep a close eye on him so that when he does go after something I tell him to leave it usually he does, but if he does end up getting something in his mouth I tell him to drop it and he will. He's almost 2 and is a lot better about eating things, but with time and being consistent he is doing much better.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
I can feel your pain as the handsome elegant Dazzle is a poop eater too! He does not eat his own, or Phoenix's nor did he eat Jazz or Dash's but at the dog park it is buffet time! When I see him doing it and tell him to leave it as I walk towards him he grabs up a chunk and takes off chewing----yuck! I need to find the old remote citronella collar and see if blasting him when he does it stops that behavior.

I would type in sight hound racing supplies and you should get a list of places that have the racing basket muzzles.At the silken windhound event we went to when they did staright racing they had to have muzzles on and none of them seemed to mind them.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times
We have a WONDERFUL wire muzzle for one of our dogs to wear when she goes to the vet. She can pant and drink water with it on... but can't bite the vet. However, a muzzle should never be worn long term.

PERSONALLY, I would find another "fix" for a poop eater.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,566 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I will research and order a muzzle tomorrow. I was thinking plastic, but wire seems to be ok. It's not like I am trying to punish her, but frankly I just can't take her out every time she wants to go out, DH travels a lot, and I can't deal with more poop vomit. If I don't let her out when she asks she might pee in the house (another lovely habit), and that's no good either. We've been trying to correct the poop eating for more than a year and have tried every pill and powder out there, from prescription to over the counter, pineapple, meat tenderizer, have picked up the poop, have left the poop out and sprinkled with black pepper, cayenne pepper and hot sauce. We've tried redirecting and reinforcing, but she's obsessed. Honestly, there's a lot she just doesn't get. It's like she has a learning disability. She's been to two different vets, has had blood tests, stool tests, eats grain-free food, etc. The vets don't think it's medical.

If you have additional suggestions I would appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind DM'ing me, I will give your suggestions a try.

The cold hasn't stopped her...her favorite treat is a poopsicle!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Hey Dazzle wants to know if Lanie would like to go out to dinner with him , he knows a great place to eat .

Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
I bought mine here

Italian Basket Dog Muzzles : Flexible Plastic Basket Dog Muzzle
Don't use them much but every dog should be comfortable with a muzzle so if the need *does* arise you are covered.

The problem with a basket muzzle and a dog running loose would be getting it snagged on something

These folks will work with you to make sure of the right size for YOUR dog and they fit nicely.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM

374 posts, read 759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post

If you have a Greyhound rescue near you I bet they would be able to get you one. Also, be sure to get one with a "stool guard". Greys can still eat with a plain basket muzzle on.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs