Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times

Advertisements

Yeast smells like bread dough, at least that is how it smells to me. Makes sense since yeast is used to make bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Well, this sounds crazy, I know - but our Rottie who has had constant yeast infections in his ears....it smells like semi-sweet or bitter chocolate, but not in a pleasant way. But the odor is definitely around his head when that occurs. Well, if it got too bad you could smell it everywhere and couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from.

This Rottweiler is blind and a bit head shy. The vet recommended flushing his ears daily with some type of otic solution. That was NOT going to happen. I found some ear pads from Century at Petsmart called (uniquely enough) Clean Ear Pads. I swab his ears daily with those now, particularly the one that crazy drains wax, and we haven't been to the vet for an ear infection in months - knock wood.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I wanted to suggest dog shampoo that the Vet recommended for my bull dog who has sensitive skin. Keratolux by Virbac
We got it at an appointment, but it wasn't a prescription. So you might find it at a petco or online.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
My friend adopted an adult hound--some kind of coon hound. He sure did have a distinctive doggy BO. Unpleasant. He was well cared for, bathed often. Great looking coat. But he still stank. Another friend who knows dogs told me hounds often have this distinctive.."odor"...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I wanted to suggest dog shampoo that the Vet recommended for my bull dog who has sensitive skin. Keratolux by Virbac
We got it at an appointment, but it wasn't a prescription. So you might find it at a petco or online.
Thanks for the recommendation, JanND. Does it really work to get rid of the smell??

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Thanks everyone for the tips. The vet said it may well be that she's just a stinky dog by nature. That's difficult for me to believe, but just might be the case. I have been googling trying to find a cause/solution. It sounds like the oily version of seborrhea to me, based on online resources. The excess oil supposedly results in a rancid odor. But she doesn't have any scales, which kind of negates that theory.

Also, hypothyroidism can cause the skin/odor issues, and my dog is definitely "heat seeking" in that she burrows under blankets obsessively, and that's a symptom. But she never "shakes" from cold when she is outside and she is very rambunctious when she is not napping. She's pretty much "on" or "off" with no in between, but not lethargic.

So it remains a mystery...

I really appreciate everyone's ideas. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,777 times
Default Peanut Butter, Itchy Dog--Yeast?

My dog can get red spots on his neck and I have to be really careful about what I feed him. I feed him a raw frozen diet and had to cut out bully sticks and biscuits. A friend sent me this article on facebook about peanut butter and other treats that can make dogs itchy and smelly. I thought it was helpful. I was looking through the site and saw there was a lot of information about yeast too. Maybe it will have some information that can help your dog.

5 Treats That Could Make Your Pets Sick!

Peanut Butter and Dogs: Peanut Butter, Dog Itching, Is peanut butter good for dogs?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,127 times
My dog is a 5 month old puppy and he stinks within an hour or two of bathing him with "odor eliminating" dog shampoo, flea shampoo, etc. I've used baby wipes on him (he hates this), tried brushing him, changed his diet, and he smells so bad I can't stand the smell! It makes me sick! He's such a sweet dog; I can't understand why he smells SO BAD! I feel so bad putting him outside all the time because I can't stand his smell!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindasegal View Post
My dog is a 5 month old puppy and he stinks within an hour or two of bathing him with "odor eliminating" dog shampoo, flea shampoo, etc. I've used baby wipes on him (he hates this), tried brushing him, changed his diet, and he smells so bad I can't stand the smell! It makes me sick! He's such a sweet dog; I can't understand why he smells SO BAD! I feel so bad putting him outside all the time because I can't stand his smell!
Did the vet have any insight?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
It could be yeast. I changed my dog food to the high quality holistic Eagle...she gets Lamb and rice....no veggies and no seafood, its helped alot with allergies, itching and smell. Keep them away from veggies..they contain sigar and that could be causing it...good luck..mine's a senistive one too but is doing really well off the veggies and seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs