U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 PM

1,414 posts, read 2,557,577 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have had dogs with yeast issues, can you liken the smell to anything at all? I know this is a difficult question!

I had her skin scraped about a year ago with a bunch of other tests to see if she had skin problems to explain itching. Then her ears, and they found a little yeast.

But she really whiffs. Even within a day or two after I bathe her. It's just this pungent odor and it varies where it emminates from on her body. It's not hear ears. Right now it's on the front of her neck. She was NOT rolling in anything outside today or yesterday.

So I keep wondering if it's yeast. If anyone feels they can attempt to describe that smell to me, I would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,322,946 times
yeast in ears kind of reminds me of the smell of popcorn... (maybe im nuts)

not sure if it would smell like that as a skin infection???

Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 PM

5,043 posts, read 8,483,049 times
It's not a smell like if she rolled around in dirt...it's just this pungent, horrific smell that lingers all.the.time. My MB has yeast issues with his skin and she smells so bad, regardless if we bathe him. We could give him a bath daily, and he'll smell an hour after, it's just his skin. I really don't know how to describe it, but I can pick up on it in an instant. It's a really, really bad smell that just won't go away no matter what we try. The only thing that seems to work short-term is a medicated shampoo that we use. You know when he's within 10 feet of you because he smells that bad. Unlike your dog though, it's his entire body.

I feel for you, I know exactly what you're going through! We had no idea he had this (among 20829809 other issues) when we got him. They tried to hide the vet records really well, but we were able to get ahold of them after much pestering and man were we in for a shock! He's had yeast issues since 3 months according to his records, so I guess they never really go away.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 PM

288 posts, read 343,641 times
Have you changed her diet or anthing lately?

The only really pungent horrible smell that sprang to my mind is anal glands they stink like crazy!! But you say the odor is on the front of her neck, so I am not sure. Is there anything obvious that you can see?

Is it just her doggy sweat smell?

Sorry I am not sure what Yeast smells like

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM

1,414 posts, read 2,557,577 times
It's definitely not the dreaded anal gland smell. I am familiar with that one. I don't know what doggie sweat smells like, but maybe that's it. I have never had a short haired dog before. All my others had longer hair. Maybe it's a hound smell. It's sometimes her feet, sometimes her head, sometimes her body...

She's been eating salmon and potato kibble for a long time - l or more months? I can't remember if she was smelly before that. I think she was. Maybe it's the fishy food coming out of her pores.

I remember a dog I had for 16 years coming in from outside and smelling all fresh. I called her "Freshy" sometimes as a nickname. And she ate fish and potato food, also. She never smelled badly, but again, she was a long haired fluffy dog.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM

5,043 posts, read 8,483,049 times
You can try this shampoo. It's medicated and gets rid of the smell, if only for a brief moment!

Amazon.com: Mal-A-Ket Shampoo (8 oz): Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Dermapet-Mal-A-Ket-Shampoo-8-oz/dp/B002LNTRWG - broken link)

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM

9,796 posts, read 24,482,052 times
Ever had his/her thyroid checked? Had a Golden yrs ago, whose coat smelled no mater what we did. Hard to explain except it was a strong, pungent, musky odor. Her coat started to get brittle and she was putting on weight for no reason....found they were all symptoms of a whacky thyroid. She was put on soloxine which helped tremendously.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 PM

26,581 posts, read 17,955,933 times
sure it's not a dental problem?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,875,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
For those of you who have had dogs with yeast issues, can you liken the smell to anything at all? I know this is a difficult question!

I had her skin scraped about a year ago with a bunch of other tests to see if she had skin problems to explain itching. Then her ears, and they found a little yeast.

But she really whiffs. Even within a day or two after I bathe her. It's just this pungent odor and it varies where it emminates from on her body. It's not hear ears. Right now it's on the front of her neck. She was NOT rolling in anything outside today or yesterday.

So I keep wondering if it's yeast. If anyone feels they can attempt to describe that smell to me, I would appreciate it!
What type of dog is she? There are certain breeds that have more oils and have their own peculiar smell. The 2 that come to mind are Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and Blood Hounds. Is it possible that she is a breed that just has a strong scent or is this something new?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 12,619 times
Hi There-
Although this thread is a bit old. I wanted to comment about it. I was having a similar issue with my dog. He had this unpleasant smell despite the fact that I bath him once a week. So, my Vet said it as his anal glands. They were impacted,therefore the anal glands aren't squeezed when Pedro poops. So the solution? That I have to express his anal glands regularly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs